The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade for Rick Dipietro (Does it work?)

OK, before you hang up, think about this. Here is my idea, and we are only talking about Dipietro until I get this out.......... My understanding of this Islander goalie is that he is usually on the IR list most years and has only played 50 games in the last 4 years because of this........ Beside the injury factor, I have read that Dipietro suffers from depression, which is also a injury, as he would not be able to practice or perform to NHL standards, while on an NHL contract. .......Now, it may be harsh, but could not a team argue none performance under those circumstances. It may take court to rule on it and we may not win, but even if we didn't win, we could buy him out with the regular NHL CBA Buyout clause, which would cost us, approx.1.5 million a year(until he is 48 years old. LOL....., which really isn't much, if you don't spend right to the cap. And with a increasing cap, this amount becomes smaller and smaller with inflation (Increasing cap). Anyway you look at it, it is doable........So my trade would be Dipietro, Neitterrier?, and a first for Luongo and Schroeder................I know I am despicable!.........Is there anything in this that would wok?.....Sorry I can't seem to use my enter key. I know it is pie in the sky...flame away!

Teams were given 2 compliance buyouts with the new CBA. Meaning, you can buy out 2 contracts and it won't count against the cap. This is a better option IMO.

I've been suggesting, and it's believed Canucks are planning, to take a 'buyout' contract and get quality prospects/players in return. A team like NYI is poor, what prospects/players would they give up to get Dipietro and his $36M contract off their books? It would cost Canucks $24M to buy him out. It's a lot of dough, yes, but it's an investment. It allows you to keep your core players and prospect pool in tact. It's a 'once every 7 years' opportunity to purchase assets without affecting cap space. Coincidentally, Canucks have a $38+M commitment coming off the books this summer. Why not re-commit part of that $$ to investing in the future?

A deal where they also accept Booth or Ballard's contract. Say Lu, Ballard & Schray, for: Nieddereiter, good young D-prospect/or 1st rounder & Dipietro. Something like that...

Then the Dallas idea, or Philly...Package Edler & Burrows for a great prospect, + Couturier Or Loui Eriksson.

This combo of deals would give us a younger, revitalized roster, well under the 64.3 mill cap.

Teams were given 2 compliance buyouts with the new CBA. Meaning, you can buy out 2 contracts and it won't count against the cap. This is a better option IMO.

I've been suggesting, and it's believed Canucks are planning, to take a 'buyout' contract and get quality prospects/players in return. A team like NYI is poor, what prospects/players would they give up to get Dipietro and his $36M contract off their books? It would cost Canucks $24M to buy him out. It's a lot of dough, yes, but it's an investment. It allows you to keep your core players and prospect pool in tact. It's a 'once every 7 years' opportunity to purchase assets without affecting cap space. Coincidentally, Canucks have a $38+M commitment coming off the books this summer. Why not re-commit part of that $$ to investing in the future?

Why? That same GM is offloading a $38+M contract this summer. That's $38+M Acquilini is no longer committed to.

Taking on another teams contract for buyout is an investment, it's not a hole. You're not taking on the contract for fun, or to do someone a favor. You're getting assets in return. Compliance buyouts are a trading chip (to smart GMs).

From a money point of view...I think that the regular buy out works like this,,,,,,,2/3 of a years salary paid over 2 times the remaining length....with inflation this waters it down to maybe 50& of salary paid over twice the remaining length....you don't think the owners would give up real dollars do you?......Am I wrong?............and there will always be free agents.....Another way to look at it is that if the owners invested that 24 million at 6%, they would be able to pay off the 1,5 a year and keep the 24 million. I would do that instead.

Because if I was Aqua ... I'd say to MG ... you made this mess with Booth, Ballard, and Luongo. You go and find a trade that doesn't require me to put out a dime or you're fired. You just asked me to eat AV's contract already. I'm not paying 1.5 mill till kingdom come to a guy named DiPietro for absolutely nothing.

The way you put it, it sounds like MG is doing me a favour to eat $21m instead of $38m ...

It's not for 'nothing'. You'd get assets in return. Assets which would make it worth your while. Assets which would 'in theory' make your team better, hopefully make your teams have longer playoff runs. Those playoff runs where teams make their $$. As I said, it's an investment.

Also, the Luongo contract has long been rumored to be Aquilini's deal. That he wanted that ree-donk-u-lous contract. So if that's true, it's on him not Gillis. Booth would be kept in this scenario. But yes, Ballard would be the sunken asset - it happens in business. Not sure about AV's contract - prob has a clause where if he retains employment elsewhere the contract is terminated thus Aq pays nada.

This is Niederrieter's bio/write up .... you call this an asset?

2011-12: Niederrieter played 55 games for the Islanders as a 19-year-old rookie. Playing mostly in a fourth-line role – and averaging 10 minutes of ice time per game – he scored his only goal of the year in a December game against Chicago (it was his only point of the season). Niederreiter was minus-29 and had 12 penalty minutes

As for Luongo's deal, I'm sure Aqu had to sign off on such a big contract but if owner wanted it and MG doesn't then he is a puppet GM. He should have had the balls to say, Aqua ... that's not a good idea, I'd never be able to trade him if we gave him that kind of contract. GM's sign contracts, period and GM's take responsibility for it.

This is Niederrieter's bio/write up .... you call this an asset?

2011-12: Niederrieter played 55 games for the Islanders as a 19-year-old rookie. Playing mostly in a fourth-line role – and averaging 10 minutes of ice time per game – he scored his only goal of the year in a December game against Chicago (it was his only point of the season). Niederreiter was minus-29 and had 12 penalty minutes

As for Luongo's deal, I'm sure Aqu had to sign off on such a big contract but if owner wanted it and MG doesn't then he is a puppet GM. He should have had the balls to say, Aqua ... that's not a good idea, I'd never be able to trade him if we gave him that kind of contract. GM's sign contracts, period and GM's take responsibility for it.

You guys are nuts if you think Neiderreiter isn't an asset, the kid is only 21 years old (this year) and played well at the world's for the swiss team. While he may or may not pan out does not matter at the moment, he is an asset and in my opinion he looks like he'll be a good top 6 player.

**NYI was stupid for letting him play all of that first year

Archived