The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pope Francis says Atheists can go to Heaven

Canuckerbird

And with that the good Pope vanquished the need for religion. Not just Catholisism, all of it. Go Pope.

I mean it, go. Go to Disneyland, go on that exotic vacation, go back to college and be anything you want, go get drunk and/or laid....whatever. You just put yourself out of a job, not that it was ever a real job anyway. You just formalized that truth is all. We thank you so much!

You're delusional. My sister is a life long jw and has got to be one of the most messed up people I know. She's a cronic victim of her own life. She has no personal power that I can detect. She's a physical and emotional shipwreck. But I don't dare point out the obvious failure of her own beliefs. First off I wouldn't cause I love her but also I do believe people have the right to be as sick as they need to be at any given time. But how do you help someone that is so blindly loyal to their bad medicine?

And I know different people who either go to church or are just religiously inclined. I have been a church goer in the long ago past and know how messed up and lost a lot of the adherents are. If you're not born into religion as most are, you get there as a result of tragedy and loss mainly. No one who's life is on a somewhat even keel wakes up one morning and thinks "you know what's missing in my life? Church and stuff". So in other words they arrive at a time when they are desperate and searching for help and meaning in their life and are particularly vulnerable. As was I back then when I decided that was the way to go. After finding my way out of that maze I can only say that, IMHO, religion is for the lazy and uninspired. True spirituality is attained through a great deal of effort and pain ie. brutally honest self analyzation and acceptance of shortcomings and taking personal responsiblity for them and the damage you've done to self and others with a willingness to do whatever it is you need to repair the self inflicted damage in your life.

"I once owned a Ford. Well, it was kind of a Ford, it was a Toyota. Same thing right? Anyways, point is, that Ford/Toyota was completely messed up from the moment I bought it. I had to take it in twice in the first year that I bought it to get the Engine worked on, not to mention the auto locks stopped working and the check engine light is on already. I guess every single vehicle must be terrible then, I'll just invest in a bike and save myself the trouble."

I don't see the difference between what I just said, and what you just said. As much as I welcome your ability to choose your own path, you can't judge one book by a completely different cover. Christianity does not subscribe to JW beliefs, nor many of the other sects that have branched off of the Bible, no matter what they'd care to tell you. A careful examination of the texts would show even the uneducated that what a JW preaches and what the Bible says are very different things. Just thought you might like to know that opinion is out there.

Also, just a question about rights. Where do these rights of ours come from? Is it subjective rights or objective? Put differently, do we believe there is a right because there is a measurable standard of wrong that, once crossed, turns right into wrong? And can that line be different for different people, in different societies, with different traditions and history?

Edit: I agree, in principle, with the second bolded part. The only thing I would add is that we, the broken, are no more able to fix ourselves than a man drowning is prepared to save his similarly drowning friend beside him.

Aw, who cares what these people believe? And i mean everyone. The arrogance involved with creating a life's rulebook based on an unprovable story about a man in the sky vs. the hypocrisy of 'we don't believe in anything, but listen to us while we publicly preach and publish works about what we believe in, er, disbelieve in.' ??? Not a single one of these fools has a clue anyway, but i am growing more tired of the blabberings of 'humanists', 'atheists' and 'nontheists' than i am of religious folk.

"Hey boys and girls, gather 'round while i tell you of the great nothingness beyond...

... That was it. Oh, and we're all actually shaved monkeys. G'night."

At least religion has some good entertainment value in their stories. Just look at all that crazy crap. While all atheist entertainment value is based on religion. "Just look at that crazy crap." God, can't you be more creative, atheists? Oh snap, creationism, right.

I have been a christian my whole life and from what I've learned. I cannot earn my way into heaven. Jesus explicitly says "I am the way to the Father, no one gets to the father but through me." For that reason I think Pope Francis needs to spend more time on planning his services.

What gets me is a priest that says that everyone is evil, and must be redeemed? How does someone who doesn't know me or anyone else get off saying that. It's odd that religion who is all supposed to be about love, understanding, and doing good. Actually is the first place to find intolerance, greed, anger, and death.

But as one of the above posters stated, looks like this Pope that will at least make an attempt to reach out to others. Then again maybe it's just to make sure those coffers stay full in Rome.

Too bad it's raining out. It's cutting off my view of the Sun, who I worship. ;)

What gets me is a priest that says that everyone is evil, and must be redeemed? How does someone who doesn't know me or anyone else get off saying that. It's odd that religion who is all supposed to be about love, understanding, and doing good. Actually is the first place to find intolerance, greed, anger, and death.

But as one of the above posters stated, looks like this Pope that will at least make an attempt to reach out to others. Then again maybe it's just to make sure those coffers stay full in Rome.

Too bad it's raining out. It's cutting off my view of the Sun, who I worship. ;)

Agreed. One of my cousins is Agnostic, told his parents (who grew up in a traditionally Catholic home), and is shamed about it all the time.

And my friends wonder why I haven't told my family I'm Atheist yet.

??

Do atheists treat their non-believe like it's a form of coming out of he closet or something?

Honestly, what business is this of anyone else's? Atheists treat their conviction like it's something to be shouted from the mountain tops, I swear

haven't told my family yet, haha

??

Do atheists treat their non-believe like it's a form of coming out of he closet or something?

Honestly, what business is this of anyone else's? Atheists treat their conviction like it's something to be shouted from the mountain tops, I swear

haven't told my family yet, haha

Archived