The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pope Francis says Atheists can go to Heaven

Canuckerbird

I think the pope is a little confused. Atheists don't believe in heaven any more than they believe in god. What drives me nuts is the fact that we are being talked down to. Like, god has space for you atheists, even if your not a catholic.

This part's important in understanding the quote actually, otherwise what the Pope said could be misleading if Christ is taken out of Christianity.

Rosica writes, “every man or woman, whatever their situation, can be saved. Even non-Christians can respond to this saving action of the Spirit. No person is excluded from salvation simply because of so-called original sin.”

I have been a christian my whole life and from what I've learned. I cannot earn my way into heaven. Jesus explicitly says "I am the way to the Father, no one gets to the father but through me." For that reason I think Pope Francis needs to spend more time on planning his services.

As someone who is not very religious, I actually appreciate what he is saying.

He's letting people know something that every Christain should... the bible is not meant to be followed verbatim.

I think this was more of a message to Christains, than it was to Athiests. I don't think Athiests really care.

And with that the good Pope vanquished the need for religion. Not just Catholisism, all of it. Go Pope.

I mean it, go. Go to Disneyland, go on that exotic vacation, go back to college and be anything you want, go get drunk and/or laid....whatever. You just put yourself out of a job, not that it was ever a real job anyway. You just formalized that truth is all. We thank you so much!

You're delusional. My sister is a life long jw and has got to be one of the most messed up people I know. She's a cronic victim of her own life. She has no personal power that I can detect. She's a physical and emotional shipwreck. But I don't dare point out the obvious failure of her own beliefs. First off I wouldn't cause I love her but also I do believe people have the right to be as sick as they need to be at any given time. But how do you help someone that is so blindly loyal to their bad medicine?

And I know different people who either go to church or are just religiously inclined. I have been a church goer in the long ago past and know how messed up and lost a lot of the adherents are. If you're not born into religion as most are, you get there as a result of tragedy and loss mainly. No one who's life is on a somewhat even keel wakes up one morning and thinks "you know what's missing in my life? Church and stuff". So in other words they arrive at a time when they are desperate and searching for help and meaning in their life and are particularly vulnerable. As was I back then when I decided that was the way to go. After finding my way out of that maze I can only say that, IMHO, religion is for the lazy and uninspired. True spirituality is attained through a great deal of effort and pain ie. brutally honest self analyzation and acceptance of shortcomings and taking personal responsiblity for them and the damage you've done to self and others with a willingness to do whatever it is you need to repair the self inflicted damage in your life.

That's just a stupid belief. You can be the best person that ever was, help the poor and all that crap but you don't believe in Jesus you're condemned to hell. On the other hand you can bee the worst douchebag murderer and child rapist but because you accept Jesus you go to heaven. It's just utter nonsense. I don't care if there is a heaven or not because if there is it's it's obviously full of the biggest douchebags ever,

It's getting even lazier. In this human geography class I'm taking, there was a discussion on religion and technology. Prayer is suppose to be a demonstration of this "personal relationship" with the omniscient creator of the universe. Now, or soon to be, one will be able to PAY for a service that does your prayers for you. What a joke, eh? Talk about another religious cash grab. Instead of having this "personal relationship" with your god, people are now going to pay some douchebag to have his computer's hard drive and processor to have that relationship for you. But that's perfectly fine with me; technology and education is and will continue to play a strong reason for the downfall of organized religion.

i hope your class also teaches you that cash grabs are not indicative of the norm, or even at all a proper representation of what religious teachings and morality suggest is the "right" way?

i mean, some pretty basic critical thinking skills would suggest that stuff, but i'm just making sure nobody in your class, or even you, are putting weight behind it. when you say "people are going to" do X or Y, i hope you realize that very few people will actually do this with any seriousness

and it's also pretty sloppy to suggest belief in god is the result of a lack of education or that technology somehow negates the possibility of an afterlife

And the green grass grew all around and around and the green grass grew all around...what..so just because some guy who claims to be a representative of the most high god makes a statement like "Atheists can get into heaven" this is supposed to mean something, right? Sorry it doesn't...Vegans can also get into Chick Fil'a if they like...it doesn't mean they actually WANT to go there. I'll be blunt. If heaven is full of the proselytizing pooks who drive racism and misogyny and homophobia then I don't want anywhere NEAR it. We may be invited...but that doesn't mean we're necessarily gonna RSVP to the invitation.

Archived