The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pope Francis says Atheists can go to Heaven

Canuckerbird

I'm going to answer this post as kindly as I possibly can. It is NOT easy to admit non-belief especially when your family or your friends are devoutly religious...and in some cases, it's not an easy societal decision either. When you live in an environment that is so blinded by religion and you are coming to grips with reality and suddenly you feel ostracized because of it..that cannot be easy to deal with. I find it very offensive that you, even in jest..would compare the rejection of belief to "coming out of the closet". You apparently feel like it's your sworn duty here to talk down to people who disagree with your viewpoint while ridiculing the conviction and courage it takes some folks to admit to their loved ones that they are atheist. It may not be a very big deal in Canada..but Polls have shown here in the US that atheists are the least trusted group in this country, and some of the pollsters have even gone so far as to say they'd trust a terrorist over an atheist..some have threatened non-believers with physical violence, atheist students are ostracized in school for protesting student prayer, for having a difference of opinion, basically...and it's sickening. One certain columnist of a newspaper here in my town was quoted as saying "If there were a non-believer walking across the road in front of a red light, I wouldn't brake for him..I wouldn't stop" then he eloquently decided to throw in a quote from George Bush Sr that stated "No I don't believe atheists should be considered patriots, or citizens..this is one nation under god"...so...with all of the hatred and intolerance towards atheists...it is not that difficult to understand why such a decision would not be easy to tell one's parents or friends about.

Do you see that little word "if"? Or did you conveniently ignore that part? Did I deliberately say "Heaven is full of misogynists and racists and homophobes"? No..I didn't. I said IF it is..then I don't want anywhere near it. IF is a very small word..but it was necessary for that particular post because I just knew you'd jump all over it. I also knew you'd deliberately ignore that word "if".

No, the word "if" does not matter at all. AT ALL. The conversation was not whether or not heaven is full of bigots, you drew the comparison yourself--it was totally irrelevant, just like Tort's comment about how "many religious people being too busy to pray, they spend their time slandering on facebook." He's making that connection and the implication. The "if" and "many" do not matter at all because the implication is there regardless of whether or not you're brave or idiotic enough to declare it outright.

Seeing you say that trash then fall back on semantics is no different than seeing a known anti-semite say "if Hitler was right, then I'd never want to visit Israel!" Face it, SHM, you're just as intolerant as the people you claim to hate. You just victimize yourself to justify it. Probably why every time you get into an argument with someone around here (once, twice, three times a week), you pad your opinions with hilarious sentimentality. A grade A tactic of manipulators: If someone questions your opinions, they also question and trivialize the emotions and experiences that lead you up to those opinions. Treating you with respect or engaging you with "intelligence" doesn't get anyone anywhere. Just more spoonfuls of your life story. And I don't have a taste for bull, so excuse me from the table

No, the word "if" does not matter at all. AT ALL. The conversation was not whether or not heaven is full of bigots, you drew the comparison yourself--it was totally irrelevant, just like Tort's comment about how "many religious people being too busy to pray, they spend their time slandering on facebook." He's making that connection and the implication. The "if" and "many" do not matter at all because the implication is there regardless of whether or not you're brave or idiotic enough to declare it outright.

Seeing you say that trash then fall back on semantics is no different than seeing a known anti-semite say "if Hitler was right, then I'd never want to visit Israel!" Face it, SHM, you're just as intolerant as the people you claim to hate. You just victimize yourself to justify it. Probably why every time you get into an argument with someone around here (once, twice, three times a week), you pad your opinions with hilarious sentimentality. A grade A tactic of manipulators: If someone questions your opinions, they also question and trivialize the emotions and experiences that lead you up to those opinions. Treating you with respect or engaging you with "intelligence" doesn't get anyone anywhere. Just more spoonfuls of your life story. And I don't have a taste for bull, so excuse me from the table

Man, for a bunch of atheists who apparently place a high value on logic (since the knock on Christianity is how illogical it is), absolutely no one has even attempted to rebut my logical statements of morality. Are you seriously all that lazy, or do you just have no answer and resort to immature tactics instead? How terribly disappointing. Thought we might actually have a two sided conversation here. I invite any willing participants to answer my previous questions.

Archived