The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Give Vandermeer a chance!

Relfk

How did this guy not make the Canucks' roster? He's everything the Canucks have been looking for in terms of toughness and grit and yet he never gets even one game up with the big club? No one will mess with the Nucks' stars when that goliath is on the ice.

What player now a days jumps into the opposing team's bench and throws punches? And how the hell did Sestito or Ebbett get a chance over him? I hate seeing players wasted like he's been wasted. Even if he gets 5 minutes a game he can make an impact out there.

I hope this guy gets resigned, as he'd be a fan favourite very quickly. Look how Colton Orr was in Toronto..

Here are some of his fights.

I think this guy deserves a spot over everyone except for Lappy on the Canucks' 4th line. Is he a defenceman? Yes, but he can also play forward. If grit is what Gillis wants, then he'll resign this guy..

#ResignVandermeer

Meh. He's not very effective at the rest of hockey anymore. Not a bad depth guy and good teammate but it's not all about having someone big and tough on your team or else John Scott would be in more demand.

Meh. He's not very effective at the rest of hockey anymore. Not a bad depth guy and good teammate but it's not all about having someone big and tough on your team or else John Scott would be in more demand.

OP, there will be plenty of better depth/bottom 2 defensemen on the market this year. Guys like Lovejoy, Clitsome and Fistric averaged 2+ hits per game last season along with plenty of blocked shots so they should be a priority to sign over Vandermeer. Yeah they may not fight as much but blocking shots and dishing out hits are more important than fighting. Another trait GMs look for in defensemen is good skating and the ability to make a good first pass, either of which I doubt Vandy has. Re-signing Vandy? No thanks.

Vandermeer's a better hockey player than John Scott and Scott got another contract with the Sabres. He put up like 10 points in 34 games on the wolves. That's much better than John Scott. Scott hasn't scored a goal in professional hockey in a very long time.

Archived