The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What makes people so confident in Schneider, as our number 1?

BenDrinkin

He is a top goalie in the league, but has had issues in lacing up for playoff games, and hasn't played a full season as the number one, so why does (seemingly) everyone have so much faith in him?

Why did he even miss the first two playoff games this year? Injury? Stress?

I imagine this is in the wrong forum, or it is redundant, or stupid (by some people's standards), etc, so I'm sorry in advance.

I just have a strong feeling that keeping Schneider will be a mistake.

It's more of the fact that he cost less than Luongo, and that we can use that extra salary space to give Schneider a better team. Plus, he's younger and has a good attitude. If he doesn't work, Eddie Lack isn't too far away.

Almost everything about him indicates he's extremely talented. The reason he has trouble lacing up for playoff games (which by the way I don't think has been totally established), is because he lacks experience. He's going to get the experience eventually.

I'm not saying he'll be better than Luongo, but he's definitely a goalie a decent team can win the cup with. Luongo's too expensive, it's a pretty easy decision (blame who you will for that).

edit: he may have anxiety issues, but that goes away with experience too. i was fortunate enough to see him play in some very big games in Hockey East, which is a very high pressure conference, and he was stellar. Just give him some time, Canucks can't keep both goalies, and Luongo's more expensive than he's worth, by a lot.

If we post a great team in front of him, he won't have to steal games, but rather do what Vokoun is right now for the Pens. He has shown the ability to not get blown out (albeit a small sample) in playoff games, which is all you need for a great team.

Well it depends, whether he is successful or not. With the way Schneider has been playing for the past few years, he's not going to get a 5.3M contract. The salary situation for the Canucks is terrible right now, any penny counts. Who knows, in 2 years. Maybe It's another goalie that we're talking about.

If we post a great team in front of him, he won't have to steal games, but rather do what Vokoun is right now for the Pens. He has shown the ability to not get blown out (albeit a small sample) in playoff games, which is all you need for a great team.

He is a top goalie in the league, but has had issues in lacing up for playoff games, and hasn't played a full season as the number one, so why does (seemingly) everyone have so much faith in him?

Why did he even miss the first two playoff games this year? Injury? Stress?

I imagine this is in the wrong forum, or it is redundant, or stupid (by some people's standards), etc, so I'm sorry in advance.

I just have a strong feeling that keeping Schneider will be a mistake.

I'm not confident in him to be quite honest. You got a HOF goalie in Lu who is at the peak of his career versus a goaltender in Schneider who has lots of potential but hasn't been the guy when its matters most (Playoffs). He barely won a game and he looks like a wreck in the playoffs. Sure you say it'll take time for him to get comfortable, but time isn't slowing down for us. I want to win a Cup with the Sedin's before another cycle of being an average team then getting up again and failing. Go all in and give the fans what they deserve; we're bored of this. The playoff games barely got sold out too and it was the organization who had to by the leftover tickets to keep the streak going.

Edit: Schneider traded, Lu stays. Been saying it forever and it's finally done and over with. So ecstatic we got elite talent in Bo and now just can't wait for the season to start.

Archived