The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 years ago today, Luc Bourdon passed away

Great article on Kris Letang and Bourdon's relationship here along with some excerpts following: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/kris-letang-remembers-best-friend-luc-bourdon-5-161121812.html

In 2008, Kris Letang was playing in his first Stanley Cup Final for the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Detroit Red Wings had stormed out to a 2-0 series lead, and coach Dan Bylsma decided to make a change: Replacing his young defenseman with veteran Darryl Sydor. Letang wouldn’t play again in the series, which the Penguins eventually lost in six games.

Out of the lineup in the most important series of the season, Letang received a text message of encouragement from his best friend the night before Game 3: Vancouver Canucks defenseman Luc Bourdon, with whom Letang texted nearly every day. Bourdon wished Letang good luck, hoping the Penguins would come back in the series.

He also told Letang about the motorcycle he had recently purchased.

It would be the last time the two would communicate with one another.

On May 29, 2008, around noon, Bourdon was riding his Suzuki GSX-R1000 when he lost control and collided with a tractor-trailer near his hometown of Shippagan, New Brunswick. He was killed instantly.

Bourdon was just 21 years old. Only two weeks before the accident did Bourdon receive his motorcycle license.

That same day, Letang was on his way to Mellon Arena for an off-day practice after the Penguins’ 3-2 win in Game 3. His agent called him and told him Bourdon had died.

On the eve of Game 4, Letang discussed his best friend’s life with the assembled media, and his body language said everything. He was constantly rubbing his folded arms. Eyes reddened from crying. His voice affected by the pain that he was experiencing.

His body was in Pittsburgh that day, but his heart and mind were in New Brunswick. He he would soon fly back to attend Bourdon’s funeral, which would take place three days later.

“These are all little moments, but him, that’s the biggest thing I miss.”

I'm looking at the LB pin I got from that game. I wanted to see him win a Norris Trophy to shut up all the zomg Kopitar fanboys.

I also ride my motorcycle cautiously because of Luc. I'm not ashamed to say it, but I cried at that ceremony. I was really touched when the fan that got Luc's jersey gave it back to his family.

Canucks won and Lu got a shutout in that game yes?

I'm looking at the LB pin I got from that game. I wanted to see him win a Norris Trophy to shut up all the zomg Kopitar fanboys.

I also ride my motorcycle cautiously because of Luc. I'm not ashamed to say it, but I cried at that ceremony. I was really touched when the fan that got Luc's jersey gave it back to his family.

Canucks won and Lu got a shutout in that game yes?

My LB pin is on my hat and Kris Letang is my favourite non Canuck...remember that day like it was yesterday. Was such a horrific thing.

Still remember Luc at the Superskills and the fun he and Burr were having.....

He will never be forgotten 'round these parts. Can't hear that song without a tear.

I remember finding out about this in my grade 8 math class... someone just mentioned it casually, everyone pretty much stopped dead in their tracks. The teacher didn't even care that we were all crowding around the computer to find the news, he wanted to know as well. That was just... a really strange day.

Archived