The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Diet soda erodes teeth as much as meth, crack, study finds

I don't drink either of those soda choices but my brother does and he said "Coke Zero tastes more like actual Coke than Diet Coke, less like fake sweetener" Which is odd, because both are sweetened with aspartame...which is disgusting in my opinion...but apparently that and the calorie content..Diet Coke allegedly only has 4 calories per can..Coke Zero has zero calories per can, allegedly. Coke Zero is sweetened by aspartame the same as Diet Coke but it also contains acesulfame potassium...which isn't good for you either. It should be noted that 4 calories is an estimate, because when a serving size contains less than five calories it is not required to be listed on the nutritional facts by a company..or rather the company isn't obligated to list it.

For anyone that enjoys the occasional soda but wants to avoid the sugar and/or artificial sweeteners, try Zevia. I'm not much of a pop drinker, but I'll pound one of these back every now and then. They're quite tasty and not full of poisonous chemicals.

flavorslarge.jpg

exactly. I totally buy that all sodas, even diet, are bad for you. I'm also on board with trying to get people away from those sodas. but comparing it to meth is counterproductive. you can spot a meth addict from across the street their teeth are so bad. people who drink lots of soda? not so much.

2 litres a day for five years is ridiculous, almost no one does that.

God, the conventional pops are so bad for you (basically all coke and pepsi products). I'm glad people are finally figuring it out and becoming more health conscious.

A somewhat unrelated fact...did you guys know how many freaking companies are owned/are a part of Coca Cola Corp?...here's the list...

... K it's not letting me put the whole list... refer to the "YahooAnswers" and "Wikipedia" pages...lets just say there's about 400

http://answers.yahoo...26054709AAhI0fW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Coca-Cola_brands

I drink 3 cans of Coke Zero every day. I have for 2 years now. I used to drink 3 cans of regular coke every day for over a decade. The same way people drink cups of coffee. Its how I get my caffeine.

My teeth are fine (besides losing 2 to a high stick in my teens). I brush and floss regularly and get checkups twice a year. When my doctor told me I had high blood pressure and needed to lose weight I switched from regular to diet. With a huge change to what I eat I lost 55lbs in just over 6 months. Ill be sticking with the coke zero.

Drink water unless you're having a burger.

I wasn't responding specifically to the enamel erosion part the original article. I was simply giving people who may not know an option for a pop alternative. Traditional soda is horrible on many different levels, many of which have been covered by previous posters in this thread.

See Scott Hartnell's response to what Stevia actually is...

Fair enough that the phrase "articifial" might not technically apply to Stevia, as it occurs naturally in plants. However, these are not plants that most humans would consume on an every day basis. We also don't know the effects of taking a chemical from a plant, concentrating it and then consuming large amounts of it.

At the very least with Aspartame, it has been around since the 1960s and we have decades worth of experience to judge the long term effects on the human body. With Stevia, it has hit the market relatively recently and relatively few products contain it. No one really knows what the long term effects could be. There are all sorts of chemicals which occur naturally in the environment, which are extremely harmful. The natural vs. artificial aspects should not be determinative to safety.

Right so just because it's a plant that "most humans don't consume on an every day basis" doesn't make a hill of beans difference. The US and Singapore were the only ones to ban its use..and then only briefly...it's been used as a sweetener in Asia (specifically Japan) since 1970...so the other crap about it not being tested and us not knowing the effects is also nonsense. The EU has also recently approved its use, and it's available as a sweetener in many other places..as steviol glycoside. Aspartame, you are absolutely right...Stevia...you have no clue what you're talking about.

And there's no "technically" about it...the word artificial when applied to stevia is 100% false. It is a natural substance.

Regardless of whether it's a natural substance - let's keep in mind that it's a natural substance that is artifically being isolated, concentrated, and then put in your food - that does not make it any more or less dangerous. There are many substances that occur naturally in plants and the environment that are extremely detrimental to human health. These can cause a variety of ailments, including cancer:

http://onlinelibrary...3.tb02791.x/pdf

http://books.google.... plants&f=false

It's very dangerous to concentrate substances, natural or not, and then consume them. You seem to be obsessed with whether or not they are "natural", which is not a determinative factor to safety in any way.

Regardless of whether it's a natural substance - let's keep in mind that it's a natural substance that is artifically being isolated, concentrated, and then put in your food - that does not make it any more or less dangerous. There are many substances that occur naturally in plants and the environment that are extremely detrimental to human health. These can cause a variety of ailments, including cancer:

http://onlinelibrary...3.tb02791.x/pdf

http://books.google.... plants&f=false

It's very dangerous to concentrate substances, natural or not, and then consume them. You seem to be obsessed with whether or not they are "natural", which is not a determinative factor to safety in any way.

Edit: Also, the fact that it's not widely consumed regularly does make a huge difference. It means we don't know very much about the long term consequences of consuming it regularly, since we aren't able to observe the result of that consumption.

It has been used as a sweetener since the 1970s...did you just not read that part? God I am so tired of people like you who only read what the hell they want to read. There is a long LIST of countries that approve its use as a sweetener. Do some ****ing research. Just like in the Monsanto thread where the one guy was talking out his ass about GMOs and soybeans...I use Zevia on a semi-regular basis and I'm not dead yet...so this paranoia you seem so fond of promulgating is ENTIRELY unfounded.

Archived