169 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,635 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Throwing this out there. Does anyone have issues in their workplace with people not speaking English?

I find if its essential to the actual work that is going on when there needs to be communication between everyone that English must be spoken. Or else it can create confusion.

I also have co workers that I really don't have a problem with personally but if there is 2-3 of them and say me , my co worker who's African and speaks English and someone else , they speak their native language and at times it can be frustrating, especially when you hear your co workers or your own name spoken mixed in.

#2 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,938 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

'African'?

#3 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

'African'?

Earth's second largest continent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa

#4 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,635 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

'African'?

Yes he's from south Sudan

#5 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,938 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

Earth's second largest continent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa

Thanks captain obvious.

Yes he's from south Sudan

Right. Way to both miss my point entirely. lol

#6 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,635 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thanks captain obvious.

Right. Way to both miss my point entirely. lol

I'm still missing it

#7 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

I used to work at a place where everyone spoke Cantonese, except for me and a few others. My boss hired me because I spoke English and my direct coworker wanted to improve her English. Apparently everyone wanted to as well as I ended up helping them all improve their conversation ability.

It's really an issue you need to address with your manager/supervisor/HR contact if it really bothers you.

#8 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,938 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

I'm still missing it

You would typically say he is South Sudanese, not African.

Just as you are (I assume) Canadian, and not North American.

Nevermind.

#9 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Posted Image

I agree with OP.

#10 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,635 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

You would typically say he is South Sudanese, not African.

Just as you are (I assume) Canadian, and not North American.

Nevermind.

Yes typically. He he himself says " akok is African" akok being his name

#11 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

Well I'm from Quebec originally but in my opinion Canada may as well be fully English.

#12 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,635 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Well I'm from Quebec originally but in my opinion Canada may as well be fully English.

I only mentioned English because French is pretty much irrelevant in bc now. But this thread could be applied In Quebec as well.

Edited by Mr.Habitat, 30 May 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#13 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,938 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Yes typically. He he himself says " akok is African" akok being his name

He speaks in the third person?

#14 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Typical whining; when I was working with a bunch of Dutch guys I decided that instead of letting it bug me I would try to learn some of the language and, lo and behold, I did learn enough to be able to at least give people in Holland some laughs with my attempts at Dutch. Win win for me.

#15 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,635 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

He speaks in the third person?

His English is not good and he does and it's hilarious and amazing! He speaks in Arabic To another co worker to piss off the other guys.

#16 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

POPULAR

What's frustrating, say your on craigslist looking for work, and the job description says must speak punjabi or must speak cantonese, now that's wrong. This is an english first country, if you can't speak english then get the hell out of here and go back to where you came from.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#17 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,938 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

POPULAR

What's frustrating, say your on craigslist looking for work, and the job description says must speak punjabi or must speak cantonese, now that's wrong. This is an english first country, if you can't speak english then get the hell out of here and go back to where you came from.

Much fail in you.

#18 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

I enforce an English only rule at my work. I've had to discipline people for not following this rule, which sucks but I don't believe people should be having conversations that I can't hear at work....mostly because I don't want small random chit chat in my kitchen and would prefer people just focus on the food.
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#19 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,896 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yep, it's a big issue for me.

I've actually googled and, if it is done in a way that "isolates" others, it's a form of bullying per WCB regulations.

When I hear my name being used I immediately interrupt and demand to know what's being said.

If people can speak English and don't, I find it rude and offensive....it puts me at a disadvantage because I can't understand their conversations (Turkish), but they can understand mine. Common courtesy should tell them that, but they're oblivious and don't care. So I've adopted that philosophy too (which is sad, because it goes against who I am).

Hate it.

Posted Image

#20 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

POPULAR

I have no problems with being able to speak multiple languages in the workplace. It's a competitive advantage over other employees and companies. While English is the dominant language of business, knowledge of other languages can be an asset when dealing with businesses in emerging markets like China and India.

If you don't like it, tough luck. I suggest going back to high school and taking Mandarin 9.

#21 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

My boss will invite me for lunch and then end up chatting with his friend in Cantonese. They both speak English really well but they revert back to their native language all the time. Needless to say I feel ignored. He might as well let me work and bring me back Quizno's. I know I'd prefer it.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#22 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,343 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

My boss will invite me for lunch and then end up chatting with his friend in Cantonese. They both speak English really well but they revert back to their native language all the time. Needless to say I feel ignored. He might as well let me work and bring me back Quizno's. I know I'd prefer it.

They're subtly trying to get you to learn Cantonese...

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#23 HC20.0

HC20.0

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

When I worked at my first part time job when I was a teenager, what drove me nuts is we had two Philippinos there who always talked to each other in their own language. Usually there were only 3 of us on at a time, so it got on my nerves when I was with them.

Edited by HC20.0, 30 May 2013 - 01:14 PM.

2r6glsw.jpg

Sig Credit goes to Vintage Canuck

#24 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

They're subtly trying to get you to learn Cantonese...

nah, they're old friends and couldn't give a frack. I wonder if they even consider it to be rude.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#25 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

I have no problems with being able to speak multiple languages in the workplace. It's a competitive advantage over other employees and companies. While English is the dominant language of business, knowledge of other languages can be an asset when dealing with businesses in emerging markets like China and India.

If you don't like it, tough luck. I suggest going back to high school and taking Mandarin 9.

If the company wants to have a 2nd language sure all for it, but when the company wants first language to be a non english language I'm sorry, this is not China or India. This is Canada an English spoken country, you should not be running a business in a country when you can't even speak it's first language. Just like in Richmond now your starting to see signs and streets in Chinese, since when did Canada turn into China? It's not right.

Eh8NO.jpg

"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#26 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Much fail in you.

Much fail for this country.

Eh8NO.jpg

#27 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,938 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Much fail for this country.

Says he who can't adapt. This country is not a static place.

#28 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

If the company wants to have a 2nd language sure all for it, but when the company wants first language to be a non english language I'm sorry, this is not China or India. This is Canada an English spoken country, you should not be running a business in a country when you can't even speak it's first language. Just like in Richmond now your starting to see signs and streets in Chinese, since when did Canada turn into China? It's not right.

Nowhere in my post did I say that the company's first language should be a non-Canadian language (that being either English or French). I merely stated the competitive advantages of company staff knowing multiple languages, as to increase their business opportunities overseas in emerging markets.

Tough luck if all you want to do is cater to a population that is monolingual and is on the decline in terms of population %s.

To refer to your original post:

What's frustrating, say your on craigslist looking for work, and the job description says must speak punjabi or must speak cantonese, now that's wrong.

What if my company specializes in shipping products from China and India? I'm not going to hire a monolingual, especially if the guy on the other side doesn't speak English or speaks very poor English. As I said above, tough luck for not learning multiple languages.

It's a skill, just like writing, social media, sales knowledge, word processing programs, or team management. The more skills one possess, the better their chances are of employment.

Edited by Common sense, 30 May 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#29 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,896 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Typical whining; when I was working with a bunch of Dutch guys I decided that instead of letting it bug me I would try to learn some of the language and, lo and behold, I did learn enough to be able to at least give people in Holland some laughs with my attempts at Dutch. Win win for me.

When people voice concern about something upsetting to them, don't classify it as whining because it's offensive. We're not you and, with that, great that that works for you but it doesn't for everyone.

Add your insight without insulting others.

Posted Image

#30 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,858 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

I work in a hotel and half of the back of house staff is Filipino.
Needless to say, most of the chatter is in Tagalog and it doesn't bother me in the least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.