The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not speaking English at work

Mr.Habitat

Throwing this out there. Does anyone have issues in their workplace with people not speaking English?

I find if its essential to the actual work that is going on when there needs to be communication between everyone that English must be spoken. Or else it can create confusion.

I also have co workers that I really don't have a problem with personally but if there is 2-3 of them and say me , my co worker who's African and speaks English and someone else , they speak their native language and at times it can be frustrating, especially when you hear your co workers or your own name spoken mixed in.

I used to work at a place where everyone spoke Cantonese, except for me and a few others. My boss hired me because I spoke English and my direct coworker wanted to improve her English. Apparently everyone wanted to as well as I ended up helping them all improve their conversation ability.

It's really an issue you need to address with your manager/supervisor/HR contact if it really bothers you.

Typical whining; when I was working with a bunch of Dutch guys I decided that instead of letting it bug me I would try to learn some of the language and, lo and behold, I did learn enough to be able to at least give people in Holland some laughs with my attempts at Dutch. Win win for me.

What's frustrating, say your on craigslist looking for work, and the job description says must speak punjabi or must speak cantonese, now that's wrong. This is an english first country, if you can't speak english then get the hell out of here and go back to where you came from.

I enforce an English only rule at my work. I've had to discipline people for not following this rule, which sucks but I don't believe people should be having conversations that I can't hear at work....mostly because I don't want small random chit chat in my kitchen and would prefer people just focus on the food.

Yep, it's a big issue for me.

I've actually googled and, if it is done in a way that "isolates" others, it's a form of bullying per WCB regulations.

When I hear my name being used I immediately interrupt and demand to know what's being said.

If people can speak English and don't, I find it rude and offensive....it puts me at a disadvantage because I can't understand their conversations (Turkish), but they can understand mine. Common courtesy should tell them that, but they're oblivious and don't care. So I've adopted that philosophy too (which is sad, because it goes against who I am).

Hate it.

What's frustrating, say your on craigslist looking for work, and the job description says must speak punjabi or must speak cantonese, now that's wrong. This is an english first country, if you can't speak english then get the hell out of here and go back to where you came from.

Archived