Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

At least we make the playoffs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#1 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

Why are so many people up in arms over us getting swept in the playoffs. Last year we didn't get swept and we played pretty good but still got kicked out first round. Some teams like us have also never won the Stanley cup in fact only half the league has ever won the cup and 14 teams every year miss the playoffs completely so we should be happy with that. Imagine if we were missing the playoffs year after year? we should be happy with our over paid, under achieving brutal contracted playoff making team because it could be worse. Toronto missed the playoffs 9 years in a row now that would suck. The Flames and oilers missed the playoffs for multiple years after making it to the Stanley cup finals. Teams like buffalo and Washington have never won anything so its not so bad being us so relax and watch some playoffs year after year and enjoy because its as good as it gets.

#2 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Although I'm thankful for making the playoffs, if you have a team good enough to make it, they should be able to pull it together and win the Cup....

I watch hockey because I want to see my team go all the way, not have an early exit.

#3 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

Once you have watched this team fail for enough years you might just change your tune.

Edited by Riviera82, 31 May 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#4 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

Some people will find something to whine about no matter what happens and be overly pessimistic. It is natural however to be disappointed.

For most people (not the loudest minority of mouth breathers) it's a matter of this team not achieving on a level we think it should. This team should have made it past the 1st round only because we were and are a better team than San Jose. The fact that we got swept by them only rubs salt into the wound.

I remember what it was like to cheer for this team when it actually did suck as much as some people say it does now. I remember having goalies that were actually as bad as what some here say Luongo is (and others will start to say Schneider is) I remember what it was like to actually have no real stars and a defense that made swiss cheese jealous.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

Once you have watched this team fail for enough years you might just change your tune.

How cliche
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Although I'm thankful for making the playoffs, if you have a team good enough to make it, they should be able to pull it together and win the Cup....

I watch hockey because I want to see my team go all the way, not have an early exit.

We are a regular season team and don't have the playoff pieces to go deep. We would beat most teams in regular season match ups but there are ten teams in the NHL that would sweep us including teams like St. Louis, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa even most of these team lost in the first round but they would have embarrassed us in the playoffs. With in a year or 2 even teams like Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton will be a better playoff team then us. Sad but true

#7 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

How cliche

What can I say? I`m slightly jaded.

#8 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Some people will find something to whine about no matter what happens and be overly pessimistic. It is natural however to be disappointed.

For most people (not the loudest minority of mouth breathers) it's a matter of this team not achieving on a level we think it should. This team should have made it past the 1st round only because we were and are a better team than San Jose. The fact that we got swept by them only rubs salt into the wound.

I remember what it was like to cheer for this team when it actually did suck as much as some people say it does now. I remember having goalies that were actually as bad as what some here say Luongo is (and others will start to say Schneider is) I remember what it was like to actually have no real stars and a defense that made swiss cheese jealous.

Half of our bandwagon fans didn't even live in Canada back in those days

#9 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

What can I say? I`m slightly jaded.

I often wonder (and if I'm being honest I've wondered this about you but I should say that doesn't mean you actually fit into this category) but if people have such a bad time watching this team why do they still watch? I mean if you've gotten to the point where you're just flat out jaded why not move on. I mean it's obvious that there are people like you who have gotten jaded and you can tell by the opinions they put out that they don't take a lot of pleasure watching this team.

Makes me hope more and more that Seattle gets a team. Some people don't buy it but much of the reason we cheer for any team in particular is because of geography. Maybe people will be happier if there's another option nearby.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 31 May 2013 - 08:31 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

Half of our bandwagon fans didn't even live in Canada back in those days

So what?

Your first post in this thread. That was a joke right?

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 31 May 2013 - 08:29 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

I often wonder (and if I'm being honest I've wondered this about you) but if people have such a bad time watching this team why do they still watch? I mean if you've gotten to the point where you're just flat out jaded why not move on. I mean it's obvious that there are people like you who have gotten jaded and you can tell by the opinions they put out that they don't take a lot of pleasure watching this team.

Makes me hope more and more that Seattle gets a team. Some people don't buy it but much of the reason we cheer for any team in particular is because of geography. Maybe people will be happier if there's another option nearby.

I enjoy watching canuck regular season hockey they are a awesome regular season team why should I stop watching that doesn't make any sense

#12 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

I enjoy watching canuck regular season hockey they are a awesome regular season team why should I stop watching that doesn't make any sense

what?

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 31 May 2013 - 08:32 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

So...just be satisfied with mediocrity then?
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#14 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

So...just be satisfied with mediocrity then?

Half the teams in the NHL have never won the Stanley cup and they are happy to watch a NHL team in their home town compete year after year. Why should us canuck fans feel any different about our mediocre team what makes us more special to complain that we don't have what only half the teams in the NHL have? we have a NHL team that should be enough to remain a fan. Do you think the Flame and OIler fans would rather have their multiple cups or keep there teams? they would quickly keep their teams then past victories i'm sure. Winnipeg seems pretty happy with having won the same amount of cups as us and they don't even make the playoffs. Why do us canuck fans consider ourselves so special? no wonder the rest of the league hates and laughs at us

#15 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

But I miss the Renny years. Messier was the greatest Canuck of all times...97/98 was our best year ever. Wasn't it? I mean that years team was hands down better than anything we've iced since 2002...people really forget and I am sorry to the OP but some of us want and expect a lot more than a first round exit in 4 games where our captain is looking off into space wondering what the weather is like in Sweden while the only push back our team is getting is from eating the game 3 food at the HP Pavilion in San Jose before game 4

Warhippy's Prediction for 2015/2016

Dallas 7th in the west

Vancouver 11th.

It's harder to make a statement and stand by your words than it is to simply dismiss a statement and refuse to make a one of your own.

#16 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Half the teams in the NHL have never won the Stanley cup and they are happy to watch a NHL team in their home town compete year after year. Why should us canuck fans feel any different about our mediocre team what makes us more special to complain that we don't have what only half the teams in the NHL have? we have a NHL team that should be enough to remain a fan. Do you think the Flame and OIler fans would rather have their multiple cups or keep there teams? they would quickly keep their teams then past victories i'm sure. Winnipeg seems pretty happy with having won the same amount of cups as us and they don't even make the playoffs. Why do us canuck fans consider ourselves so special? no wonder the rest of the league hates and laughs at us

the longer us loyal fans wait the sweeter the cup will taste. Do you actually think Detroit fans appreciate another cup like we would? Absolutely not.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#17 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

But I miss the Renny years. Messier was the greatest Canuck of all times...97/98 was our best year ever. Wasn't it? I mean that years team was hands down better than anything we've iced since 2002...people really forget and I am sorry to the OP but some of us want and expect a lot more than a first round exit in 4 games where our captain is looking off into space wondering what the weather is like in Sweden while the only push back our team is getting is from eating the game 3 food at the HP Pavilion in San Jose before game 4

Nailed it!!!

#18 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

I remember how excited I was when this team landed Potvin.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

I'd rather them not make the playoffs the last two years and have a mid round draft pick
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#20 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Don't worry. We'll miss out next year.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#21 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

I'd rather them not make the playoffs the last two years and have a mid round draft pick

we would loose almost all of our fans so that wont work. We are not like other NHL cities we are Vancouver nough said

#22 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Flip side. I live in North Carolina...home of the Carolina Hurricanes, who actually HAVE won a Cup. The difference is, that we Canucks fans are by and large way more passionate about our team and the interest and pressure...don't forget the pressure..to win..is astronomical, compared to Canes fans for example. Has nothing at all to do with remaining a fan...I've been watching the Canucks (from afar) for 22 years now. I get tired of watching the same movie over and over again with the same disappointing ending.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#23 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

we would loose almost all of our fans so that wont work. We are not like other NHL cities we are Vancouver nough said

That's the problem. our fan base doesn't understand that it's gotta get worse before it gets better
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#24 thrago

thrago

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

It all comes down to expectations, the Canucks have had 3 cores that could have won the cup in the last 25 years. The current one in my opinion the best of the three. Yet they fail every time. The reason I believe most people are pissed off is (specifically the fans that have been watching the team the last 25 years) we know its very likely that its going to take 5-10 to build another core that will have a chance to win the cup and most likely fail yet again.

The years our team sucks and is rebuilding the core we all know a trip to the playoffs is a treat and we except a first round loss accordingly. But to watch what alot of people believe to be the last couple chances this core had at a cup and they come out and play like they don't care. Its hard to take because now we likely face a few more years of decline followed by a bunch of years rebuilding.

#25 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

Flip side. I live in North Carolina...home of the Carolina Hurricanes, who actually HAVE won a Cup. The difference is, that we Canucks fans are by and large way more passionate about our team and the interest and pressure...don't forget the pressure..to win..is astronomical, compared to Canes fans for example. Has nothing at all to do with remaining a fan...I've been watching the Canucks (from afar) for 22 years now. I get tired of watching the same movie over and over again with the same disappointing ending.

Did you know that a member of the who is a non convicted pedophile?

#26 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Did you know that a member of the who is a non convicted pedophile?

what the **** does that have to do with this conversation?
Posted Image

#27 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

what the **** does that have to do with this conversation?

nothing but it bugs me that people forgot about this and life goes on for that creep. I liked the who before that but I cant understand how anyone can look the other way

#28 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

nothing but it bugs me that people forgot about this and life goes on for that creep. I liked the who before that but I cant understand how anyone can look the other way

Hey bud...if you don't like the guy that's fine...but anyone who doesn't appreciate the contributions the band made to music just because of an allegation is REALLY narrow-minded. Jim Morrison pissed on a live crowd in Miami and was arrested for indecent exposure...does that mean you no longer like The Doors? Get over yourself.
Posted Image

#29 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

I remember how excited I was when this team landed Potvin.

I remember I got almost excited....but then I also got excited when we named Cloutier as the next #1...I really think fans forget what it's like to be mediocre and not have expectations. Where our hope is squeaking into the playoffs. Spending the 90's having our butts handed to us by the wings and avs on a nightly basis was not fun to watch. Watching Linden get dumped like a sack o crap wasn't a good feeling. I desire more than what we've seen on the ice I am sorry if that makes me a horrible fan, but I have supported our team through literally everything and for the money I've dumped on merchandise, tickets and beer I feel as though I deserve it. The mentality of the let's just be happy crowd is the same crowd that tells you to keep it down during the actual games themselves and then complains to security that you're causing a scene for having passion. IN soccer winning back to back presidents trophies means something for being the best overall before the other tourney starts. But this is hockey, only one thing matters and we haven't been delivered it, and seeing teams like LA Carolina Tampa win before us...hurts

Warhippy's Prediction for 2015/2016

Dallas 7th in the west

Vancouver 11th.

It's harder to make a statement and stand by your words than it is to simply dismiss a statement and refuse to make a one of your own.

#30 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Hey bud...if you don't like the guy that's fine...but anyone who doesn't appreciate the contributions the band made to music just because of an allegation is REALLY narrow-minded. Jim Morrison pissed on a live crowd in Miami and was arrested for indecent exposure...does that mean you no longer like The Doors? Get over yourself.

That's night and day in comparison. one is gross and kind of comical the other is unforgivable and the evidence was there but somehow he got off( no pun intended) just like OJ.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.