The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The disconnect between the media here with the fans and the team. Would an Ultra-Homeristic Media Help? (Hell Yes!)

TOMapleLaughs

Instead of 'rah rah our team can do no wrong' articles, commentary and tweeting, even at this teams' peak, our media tends to be defeatist, douchey and negative towards their own team, while bowing down to other teams' accomplishments in reverence.

I find it to be pathetic how these guys conduct themselves here and when in enemy territory, so to speak. From Tony G's weakling on-air performance against Boston, to radio fellas bowing down to whatever some guy from 'national' TO-based TSN or CBC coverage has to say during any interview, to pretty much yukking it up about everything the Canucks or their fans have to say instead of either getting behind the fans or coming up with something the fans can respect.

Jason Botchford figures that Canucks fans want Torts to be hired just so he can fight with Province writers. Well no crap. This isn't because we love Torts, Botch. It's because we hate you. Is it so hard to figure out why? How about coming up with something the fans can respect? ie. Pride in your own team, even if you're from TO, or attacking other teams when the time is right. Otherwise, you're leaving it to the fans to be proud and attack.

Imho we need the media here to get behind our team. I know it's tough and all (no cup, 40yrs of a defeatist attitude, and now a team that appears to be on the decline) but can you at least start showing some balls when yukking it up with other teams' media?

This morning the generous hosts on Team 1040 were chatting away with Elliott Friedman from TO-based CBC. He went on to say that because Canucks fans are meaner to him on twitter than any other teams' fans when he takes shots at the Canucks, Vancouver is somehow the toughest english market in Canada for players to play in.

This statement made no sense to me, as tweets have nothing to with how players live in Vancouver. It was a stupid and wrong statement. TO is by far the hardest english market in this country for players to play in, and that isn't even arguable. But instead of him being called out at all, our glorious media just bowed down in typical defeatist fashion and antagonized the fans further by yukking it up about it.

I'm sorry, but what the hell is that crap? Do you think the media in Boston would tolerate some db from NY coming in and saying that crap about Boston? Do you think fans in Chicago would love being run under the bus by their own media guys?

I know, i know, who cares when the team isn't even playing? But honestly, this type of anti-hometeam, anti-homefan garbage has been spewed out by our media for decades. Gillis elluded to it. People have been fired over it. It just adds to the perception that the Canucks are weak, flawed, and undeserving when our spokespersons outright agree with it. Where is the pride?

I'll tell you why the Canucks fans are mean on twitter to you, Elliott. It's because they HAVE to be, on account of our mainstream coverage being completely nutless.

I think it's time the media here (mainstream, not your blogosphere) gets behind the Canucks AND their fans.

As much as we hate the guy, we need a Jack Edwards-type here. We need a Tribune-style writer who's willing to attack other, more-established franchises. Somebody who's willing to go on the offensive. Somebody local, who is a homer, and who is not bound to agree with everything TO-based TSN and CBC has to say. imho That would help, not hinder, the Canucks efforts to win a cup.

And i know you're just being honest in your own minds, but sometimes, 'calling it like you see it' isn't helpful, fellas. Get behind the team. Get behind the fans. Maybe then the team and the fans won't hate you.

Instead of 'rah rah our team can do no wrong' articles, commentary and tweeting, even at this teams' peak, our media tends to be defeatist, douchey and negative towards their own team, while bowing down to other teams' accomplishments in reverence.

I find it to be pathetic how these guys conduct themselves here and when in enemy territory, so to speak. From Tony G's weakling on-air performance against Boston, to radio fellas bowing down to whatever some guy from 'national' TO-based TSN or CBC coverage has to say during any interview, to pretty much yukking it up about everything the Canucks or their fans have to say instead of either getting behind the fans or coming up with something the fans can respect.

Jason Botchford figures that Canucks fans want Torts to be hired just so he can fight with Province writers. Well no crap. This isn't because we love Torts, Botch. It's because we hate you. Is it so hard to figure out why? How about coming up with something the fans can respect? ie. Pride in your own team, even if you're from TO, or attacking other teams when the time is right. Otherwise, you're leaving it to the fans to be proud and attack.

Imho we need the media here to get behind our team. I know it's tough and all (no cup, 40yrs of a defeatist attitude, and now a team that appears to be on the decline) but can you at least start showing some balls when yukking it up with other teams' media?

This morning the generous hosts on Team 1040 were chatting away with Elliott Friedman from TO-based CBC. He went on to say that because Canucks fans are meaner to him on twitter than any other teams' fans when he takes shots at the Canucks, Vancouver is somehow the toughest english market in Canada for players to play in.

This statement made no sense to me, as tweets have nothing to with how players live in Vancouver. It was a stupid and wrong statement. TO is by far the hardest english market in this country for players to play in, and that isn't even arguable. But instead of him being called out at all, our glorious media just bowed down in typical defeatist fashion and antagonized the fans further by yukking it up about it.

I'm sorry, but what the hell is that crap? Do you think the media in Boston would tolerate some db from NY coming in and saying that crap about Boston? Do you think fans in Chicago would love being run under the bus by their own media guys?

I know, i know, who cares when the team isn't even playing? But honestly, this type of anti-hometeam, anti-homefan garbage has been spewed out by our media for decades. Gillis elluded to it. People have been fired over it. It just adds to the perception that the Canucks are weak, flawed, and undeserving when our spokespersons outright agree with it. Where is the pride?

I'll tell you why the Canucks fans are mean on twitter to you, Elliott. It's because they HAVE to be, on account of our mainstream coverage being completely nutless.

I think it's time the media here (mainstream, not your blogosphere) gets behind the Canucks AND their fans.

As much as we hate the guy, we need a Jack Edwards-type here. We need a Tribune-style writer who's willing to attack other, more-established franchises. Somebody who's willing to go on the offensive. Somebody local, who is a homer, and who is not bound to agree with everything TO-based TSN and CBC has to say. imho That would help, not hinder, the Canucks efforts to win a cup.

And i know you're just being honest in your own minds, but sometimes, 'calling it like you see it' isn't helpful, fellas. Get behind the team. Get behind the fans. Maybe then the team and the fans won't hate you.

One can attribute almost half of the overall problems regarding the image of this team and the optics of its players to people like botchford and networks like TSN and sportsnet. If all you hear every 2nd word is lack of heart, don't care, back contract, underachieving for months if not years on end it becomes a truth in the minds of the few. Toronto Winnipeg, Montreal all have writers who will rabidly defend the team through anything. Vancouver could certainly use a die hard supporter in the media like that

there has to be a balance between negative and positive....my pet peeve with the criticism is the total lack of respect for people

if i go out and have a bad game, and all i hear is, trade the bum, he ain't worth a bag of pucks....it kind of takes away from trying to over come my problems..ala bieksa a few years ago, luongo, raymond and edler now....they were all trying to get their games in order.........perhaps while people are slagging them, they might at least mention that they know how well these people have played and how great it would be if they could get back to that........i know, two much to ask for.

Negativity has it's place. Too much homer and you have the Chicago media that tries to justify Keith trying to end Daniel's career.

Just too much of the negative and you have what we have. Guys like Tony, Willes and Botchford who look like they believe all the players, coaches and management should be at their disposal 24/7 and if not, they get media slammed. Willes has always gone on the attack with those that are not friendly enough with him in particular (Burke. Bert, Gillis)

All are whom believe they understand the alpha to omega of player movement and how to build a winning team (How they are not hired as coaches and GM's is beyond imagining) Generally just miserable write-ups from miserable people that would be fired if they wrote that crap in Toronto papers about the leafs.

Bad enough we get it from other media's including CBC and guys like Spector that make a living feeding the universal hate for our team and city. We need to have to have a patriotic response from our own media in defense.

Except Garret. He needs a column in every paper.

Great Job OP +1 it's exactly how it is here. I'm so sick of Tony G and Botchford. Even if they have something reasonable to say now I couldn't care less because of their predominant attitudes. Botchford should be given a one way ticket to TO where he would fit in well and Gallahger should just go back to whatever crypt he escaped from.

Maybe we should be asking why we bother to listen to the media when they don't even know how to do their own jobs. Tony G I said for years should be in the financial section of the newspaper because all he really knows is salaries and talks to agents, not players.

The media in this market outside of Garrett, Taylor, Gary Valk to some degree, Howard Tsumura, and yes (sure razz me for this) Ray Ferraro have no bloody clue on how to cover sports. The absolute stupid questions I hear on Team 1040 on the hockey breakfast to Ferraro, it's no wonder Ray get's ticked off at times.

Honestly, we need people who are actual reporters, and look at facts, and do research. Not personalities trying to get ratings, or readership.

Remember, the Toronto market has Damien Cox so they aren't immune to media guys who speak out of their behinds.

John Garrett anyone? He's fun to listen to, but I don't the whole media filled with people like him. I just want intelligent, thinking people in the media instead of blowhards like Tony G or Botchford. I find the Pass it to Bulis guys to be pretty rational. Sometimes they are a little bit homerish, but it's nowhere near as bad as Jack Edwards and they do really think their arguments through.

"And i know you're just being honest in your own minds, but sometimes, 'calling it like you see it' isn't helpful, fellas. Get behind the team. Get behind the fans. Maybe then the team and the fans won't hate you."

No matter how many times I read that it still seems wrong to me.

Assuming most of our local media love the team, I do at any rate, why should calling it as they see it not be helpful?

If all we are going to do is "happy clap" no matter what is taking place on (and off) the ice then what is the point and where does such an approach end.

If fans and media don't have standards why should anyone in the Canucks organisation have any?

I tend not to criticise players who are in the team. (I'm not over the moon about having Sestito or Booth in the team for instance) But once they put on the jersey everything changes, they have my 100% support.

People who don't have my 100% support just now are Gillis and his scouts. I just don't think they should still be here. The media are right to criticise him.

However they too have a year to win most of the fans and the media over and if they do I will be delighted.

Only through fair assessment and criticism are standards improved.

"And i know you're just being honest in your own minds, but sometimes, 'calling it like you see it' isn't helpful, fellas. Get behind the team. Get behind the fans. Maybe then the team and the fans won't hate you."

No matter how many times I read that it still seems wrong to me.

Assuming most of our local media love the team, I do at any rate, why should calling it as they see it not be helpful?

If all we are going to do is "happy clap" no matter what is taking place on (and off) the ice then what is the point and where does such an approach end.

If fans and media don't have standards why should anyone in the Canucks organisation have any?

I tend not to criticise players who are in the team. (I'm not over the moon about having Sestito or Booth in the team for instance) But once they put on the jersey everything changes, they have my 100% support.

People who don't have my 100% support just now are Gillis and his scouts. I just don't think they should still be here. The media are right to criticise him.

However they too have a year to win most of the fans and the media over and if they do I will be delighted.

Only through fair assessment and criticism are standards improved.

If the Canucks media was as nice to the Canucks as they are to the Redwings, we'd be half way there.

Seemingly every time I put on the radio, read a paper or watch a broadcast, our media can't stroke the Wings hard enough. The Wings can do no wrong.

If the Canucks won round one, and then proceeded to blow a 3-1 series lead, this Province and it's ink stained hacks and radio 'personalities' would be feasting on the entire organization.

'Rose-coloured glasses are fine for Joe Six-Pack fans, but not media types.'

Tell you what, if there is an ultra-homer media type here that has the balls to directly attack other teams' players and media types, that guy would be a hero. Right now that job has been left up to the fans on twitter, as our so-called local media just joins in the attack against their own team most of the time.

We don't need a cheerleader all of the time, but how about a little bit of pride instead of bowing down to whatever TO-based TSN or CBC has to tell us.

I'm sick of hearing the opinions of Dr. Recchi, Brad Marchand, Captain Invisible, etc. while our media just snickers alongside them. It's pathetic and weak. Nut the frack up.

'Rose-coloured glasses are fine for Joe Six-Pack fans, but not media types.'

Tell you what, if there is an ultra-homer media type here that has the balls to directly attack other teams' players and media types, that guy would be a hero. Right now that job has been left up to the fans on twitter, as our so-called local media just joins in the attack against their own team most of the time.

We don't need a cheerleader all of the time, but how about a little bit of pride instead of bowing down to whatever TO-based TSN or CBC has to tell us.

I'm sick of hearing the opinions of Dr. Recchi, Brad Marchand, Captain Invisible, etc. while our media just snickers alongside them. It's pathetic and weak. Nut the frack up.

I think the local media's attitude reflects the feelings of the average casual Canuck fan. Publishing hate propaganda about the Vancouver Canucks is a lucrative busniess. Those "I Told You We'd Lose" types eat that ish up. Nationaly, the Vancouver Canucks have to be by far the most hated Canadian franchise, and TSN & CBC just pander to their crowd.

It's been a long time since I remember truly positive "we're journalists, but we're also fans" coverage of the team. I don't put much stock in what Team 1040 or the Province say or write because I know it's just said for the sake of being inflammatory, but it would be refreshing to see the team's tires pumped.

On the flip-side, I think John Shorthouse, Garret do a great job of walking the line of being real homer fans of the Canucks, with the right dose of objective analysis. For Hall of Fame homerism you gotta love Tom Larscheid. I remember in '94 he dropped expletives on air over a non-call on a Canuck player. His passion sometimes came out as harsh citicism, but you always knew he was a Canucks fan.

The media in this market outside of Garrett, Taylor, Gary Valk to some degree, Howard Tsumura, and yes (sure razz me for this) Ray Ferraro have no bloody clue on how to cover sports. The absolute stupid questions I hear on Team 1040 on the hockey breakfast to Ferraro, it's no wonder Ray get's ticked off at times.

Ultra Homeristic media? Well it worked for Joe Goebbels... for awhile.

Maybe the Canucks should just ban any journalist that doesn't toe the party line... oh wait they've already done that, going as far as to lobby for certain journalists to get fired. And what does where the journalists in question is from have to do with anything? I'm betting that a guy from Boston that was a super homer for the Canucks would be welcomed here with open arms.

I had to laugh at the idea of putting the words "Garrett" and "objective" in the same sentence. I mean is he not "Ultra Homeristic" enough for everyone here?

Blaming the media for the team's lack of success is the ultimate whiny fan thing to do.

Archived