The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laurence Gilman - Do not expect big changes - TEAM1040

VoiceOfReason_

Personally, I never really thought huge moves could be made this year (playerwise) because of all the No Movement and Cap issues that will have to be dealt with in the upcoming campaign.

I'd like to be happily wrong on this issue but unless Gillis/Gilman are true wizards it will be an extremely unfriendly market to try and wheel n' deal in.

If a Luongo trade got done..I would be happy considering our recent level of success in any sort of hockey operation.

Not a surprise.

The combined factors of (1) having most of the major personnel components locked into NTCs/NMCs and (2) the salary cap going down next season meant that the Canucks were going to be hard pressed to make any major moves.

Given those realities, management likely wants to use next season to take an accurate "temperature" of what they really have with this core and this overall roster.

They need to find out how big or small a factor the coaching was in the failures of the past two playoffs (and also measure the degree to which this group of players may or may not have lost their competitiveness and drive).

It makes sense really. If the coaching change yields dramatic improvement, then Gillis will have a strong rationale to continue with this core. If not, then the next step is overhauling the player personnel, and the Sedins' contract expiry after 2013-14, coupled with an increased cap ceiling, is the most logical time to make a decision about the long-term future of the roster.

As much as I share people's frustration with this team, when I set those emotions aside, it becomes clear that wholesale changes to the roster would be a premature action at this time (and would most likely hurt the franchise, given the overall league climate and the fact that the Canucks would be selling low on most transactions).

Not a surprise.

The combined factors of (1) having most of the major personnel components locked into NTCs/NMCs and (2) the salary cap going down next season meant that the Canucks were going to be hard pressed to make any major moves.

Given those realities, management likely wants to use next season to take an accurate "temperature" of what they really have with this core and this overall roster.

They need to find out how big or small a factor the coaching was in the failures of the past two playoffs (and also measure the degree to which this group of players may or may not have lost their competitiveness and drive).

It makes sense really. If the coaching change yields dramatic improvement, then Gillis will have a strong rationale to continue with this core. If not, then the next step is overhauling the player personnel, and the Sedins' contract expiry after 2013-14, coupled with an increased cap ceiling, is the most logical time to make a decision about the long-term future of the roster.

As much as I share people's frustration with this team, when I set those emotions aside, it becomes clear that wholesale changes to the roster would be a premature action at this time (and would most likely hurt the franchise, given the overall league climate and the fact that the Canucks would be selling low on most transactions).

1.Fire coach

2. Buyout Booth and Ballard

3. Let Raymond and Lappy walk.

4. Give Luongo away to whomever will take him

5. Fill the holes with as many ELC's as possible

This is what we are going to see this summer, do any of these moves qualify as bold? You decide...

We dont need huge changes. Our core is good. Ideally we will shed a lot of cap and add one team changing player. Im hoping for Clarkson. We need a set top 6 and an actual 4th line. Bostons 4th line of Campbell, Paille and thornton is something we should try to emulate.

1.Fire coach

2. Buyout Booth and Ballard

3. Let Raymond and Lappy walk.

4. Give Luongo away to whomever will take him

5. Fill the holes with as many ELC's as possible

This is what we are going to see this summer, do any of these moves qualify as bold? You decide...

They have confidence in a core group that, two seasons in a row, have proven to not score when needed most, while having literally zero secondary scoring. This team has had no second line for two years and MG and LG have done nothing about it. Trading a guy like Edler for a 25-30 goal scorer must be a priority or this season is going to be more of the same, but with a new "supporting cast" as our bottom six.

Yeah I heard him today and it was very frustrating to listen to.

When asked if the changes to the team will put them closer to the Bruins/Kings model of bigger & stronger or Black Hawks/Penguins model of skill & speed, he said that it would closer to the latter. Basically it's the status quo, with the feeling being that a new coach will be all that's needed for this group.

I understand all the issues and reasons why this should not come as a surprise, but I'm just tired of the excuses from this organization.

I'm almost to the point where I think that the core does need to be blown up sooner than later for the long term good of the franchise. If you look at what's happened in Philly recently, they traded two of their core pieces in Richards and Carter, shortly after they were signed to those huge long term deals. They got back some excellent young pieces and some high draft picks, and while they missed the playoffs this year, they are not too many pieces (a top notch goalie being one) away from having an excellent team for the next few years.

I don't believe Gillis & Co have the stomach to make such a bold move, but I believe we're close to the point where such a move needs to be made in order to set-up this team for the next decade. Otherwise we become Calgary, always tinkering with the fringes believing we're a coach or a winger or a d-man away from truly contending for the cup, but never actually getting closer to that goal, all while the core players become less valuable as the years tick by.

There's the potential for at least one (possibly two) top-6 winger to be added. Maybe Booth is moved. Maybe Jensen comes in. Maybe the Canucks pick up a UFA or an asset from the assumed goalie trade.

There are openings at 3C and 4C. Maybe they are filled from Lapierre (UFA), Gaunce, Schroeder (RFA) and Lain (RFA). Maybe one is filled by a UFA or from an asset from the assuemd goalie deal.

There could be an opening at 4RW, or maybe Weise (RFA) is back.

There's the possiblity of at least two to three new guys on defense (assuming Ballard is moved). Tanev (RFA) will likely be back. Maybe there's going to be a UFA signing (or two). One could be filled by Alberts. Corrado could be one of the new guys, or there could be a guy from the assumed goalie deal.

There's going to be a new back-up (Lack, or someone else).

Maybe nine new guys. A third of the team. Yeah, I don't see there being a lot of changes.

regards,

G.

Do him and Gillis even talk?

Gilman says Canucks will add significant players at the deadline, Gillis ads one 3rd line C.

Gillis says changes are coming, Gilman says nothing big will happen.

This does not sound like a well run organization.

Archived