The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cheerios Commercial Featuring Biracial Family Sparks Racist Backlash

nuckin_futz

An adorable Cheerios commercial featuring an interracial couple and their daughter generated such a strong racist backlash on YouTube that the comments section had to be closed.

The ad had received more than 1,600 likes and more than 500 dislikes as of Thursday evening.

Prior to the closure, the comment section had been filled "with references to Nazis, troglodytes and racial genocide." according to Adweek.

Commenters on the cereal's Facebook page also said they found the commercial "disgusting" and that it made them "want to vomit." Other hateful commenters expressed shock that a black father would stay with his family.

However, many took to Facebook to express their appreciation for Cheerios' decision to feature a mixed-race family.

"Having been mixed in the '70s, I'd like to thank everyone at Cheerios for making a commercial with an interracial couple! Going to buy boxes today! Many thanks for reflecting what my family looked like," Beschelle Lockhart posted Monday.

"Just watched your commercial with the biracial family. Beautiful. Thank you so much," Alexandra Burt wrote.

Cheerios was unfazed by the racist Internet backlash. "Consumers have responded positively to our new Cheerios ad. At Cheerios, we know there are many kinds of families and we celebrate them all," Camille Gibson, Cheerios vice president of marketing,told Gawker.

http://youtu.be/kYofm5d5Xdw

What a shame. It's 2013 and we can't get past this kind of crap.

Speaking of bi-racial ads on TV, why are there so few, if any, White Woman/Asian Guy ads on TV? There are plenty of mixed couples TV ads where there is White Guy/Asian Woman in them but not the other way around? The most notable biracial ad I see is the Bank of Montreal one with the White Guy and very ugly fat Asian woman in it. That ad seem to be running a lot.

Speaking of bi-racial ads on TV, why are there so few, if any, White Woman/Asian Guy ads on TV? There are plenty of mixed couples TV ads where there is White Guy/Asian Woman in them but not the other way around? The most notable biracial ad I see is the Bank of Montreal one with the White Guy and very ugly fat Asian woman in it. That ad seem to be running a lot.

Keep in mind that these are YouTube comments we're talking about. The users can be entirely anonymous if they want to be and many of them are just there for quick laughs -- feigning racism is an easy way to get them. It's not a reliable reflection of society as a whole.

Also tv ads of note with bi-racial;

The, "Ahhh!!!!" Toyota Rav 4 ad with the Asian man and Caucasin women, and the other car one involving the same race of couple with the guy playing with the automatic rear seatbacks.

Seems tv commercials with couples of different race are more prominent rather than families.

Kudos to Cheerios.

Cheerios is made by General Mills which is a Monsanto owned company now so I wouldn't even feed them to my cats. As many have stated already these are YouTube comments and they mean about as much as Yahoo Answers comments or the majority of CDC comments, as they are delivered anonymously and simply because racist statements are being made taking the anonymity factor into account this is not a reflection of anything...if these statements were made in an arena outside of the internet, then yes, I would be outraged at these insidious racial slurs and negative ignorant comments and I'd be deeply deeply concerned about the abhorrent state of this society.

First of all, it's bloody ridiculous that this topic is even a discussion in this day/age.

Really? People are upset over a commercial that depicts a loving family, where a little girl is concerned about her Dad? That's troubling. Who's commenting, Westboro Church members?

I see a family there and can't believe that some would see something different.

As for this comment, Don: the "fat ugly" part about the Asian woman makes you guilty in it's own right. Why are you depicting her in a negative light because of her outward appearance? She could be a beautiful person who volunteers her time and is selfless and wonderful.

As someone who has been quite involved in conversations wherein you've blasted others for what you've misinterpreted as bigotry, etc., this comment is inappropriate. Women are people too, so where's your love and support for this human being? Off topic, but relevant in the theme of "acceptance". There's some hypocrisy being displayed here, in your negative description of a woman you don't know. You've just declared in another thread that there was "intolerance" and your comment toward this woman, that places her in a negative light without ever having even met her, is a perfect example of that. I'm actually surprised by it, but perhaps women don't get the same consideration of acceptance from you and are somehow ok to be targeted? Makes sense now...

Interracial relationships, or certain kinds at least, are the last major landmine in American race relations.

Even folks who are otherwise very friendly and would invite you onto your home for dinner, will grow visibly uncomfortable, if not outright hostile, if they see you involved with someone of the wrong race in many contexts.

Its not just white people perpetrating it either, nor is it just an American thing. Myself I would never get involved with someone of an ethnic group that I couldn't at least pass for a member of, too many issues otherwise.

Again...I think a lot of this is fluff propaganda being spewed out by YouTube users with duplicate and even sometimes triplicate accounts and because of the anonymity factor which you cannot ignore here...this is not, in my opinion, a fair assessment of society as a whole. Heretic and the other poster whose name I cannot remember now are absolutely right...we may have differences in our ethnicities, our skin colors, our personalities, our interests, our religious beliefs, political preferences and on and on and on down the line...but the one, single thing we ALL have in common is we are all members of the genus Homo, and therein..the species sapiens. We're all human beings...and part of the human "race" (which I cringe at every time I read it even in reference to humanity) and that is all that should matter.

edit: BuretoMogilny (awesome name btw)...that's who it was.

Well don't trust some of those people on youtube,they are just lonely little pieces of crap that no one likes and stay's at home and be racist. In fact in this day and age we are supposed to be past racism and it would be appropriate to have a gay couple in the ad with their child

Archived