The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Empty Seats a Reality

sosunnyhere

I dont really get how people think the sellout streak is fake or manipulated.

Most of the seats are season tix, half season tix or icepacks.

With only a couple thousand left for each game.

If the Canucks wanted, they could just sell all those as season tix.

There is enough members of the waitlist to sell out the whole season. Before it even starts

Glad to see i'm not the only one with perspective, when was the last time edmonton made the playoffs? Fans still attend their games. How about Toronto, got dicey there but close to a decade of no playoffs does that to a city, yet they still have fans. Only the bandwagoners will ditch the Canucks if they, god forbid, only make the playoffs at 6th or 7th. Keep it in perspective guys come on.

Agreed. I remember the days of waiting for the hockey nigh in Canada game only to get blown out by the Oilers 9-4.

Fans of the current team dont understand the concept of dark times.

I dont really get how people think the sellout streak is fake or manipulated.

Most of the seats are season tix, half season tix or icepacks.

With only a couple thousand left for each game.

If the Canucks wanted, they could just sell all those as season tix.

There is enough members of the waitlist to sell out the whole season. Before it even starts

When you go on Ticketmaster just a few hours before them game and you can see a thousand or so empty seats, then turn on the game and still see seats many seats stay empty the entire game, you know something is up when they call it a "sellout"

Hell, the team had to leak a code to the media for 50% seats to even "sellout" for the playoffs. Not to mention all the free tickets the team hands out to all it's corporate sponsors and friends.

The team starts losing and we will see a lot more empty seats.

Maybe the sun is in your eyes.:

As much as it is a solid concerted image of discontent, people are still going to be drinking the Kool-aid that we Canucks fans accuse Leaf fans of doing in the 90's.

These past two seasons have been the worst. I can't remember seeing a team being this content with mediocrity.

Not sure why this thread has gone past the first page when this post pretty much sums it up.. All its missing is an /end thread at the end of it.

For me, regardless of how bad the team is playing every time I watch a game on TV, I sitll go out to one or two games per season. For me, it's just the excitement of watching hockey live is the reason why I'm willing to spend money to go to a game. I'm not on the waitlist for the season tickets (although I wish I am) but if I had season tickets, I'd go to every game regardless who we're playing (or at least try and make the effort of going to 90-95% of the games).

A True Fan Indeed! Now for some sobering facts! I was at the rink early on Wednesday night selecting my season's tickets - with several groups of 50 to go after mine until 10:30 and virtually nothing left to select except upper corners/end zones & a few singles peppered here & there. I can absolutely assure you that 100% (let me repeat that for TV viewers - 100%) of the 17,000 season ticket seats will be sold out. I can also tell you that the renewal rate was 96.5% (last year 99.6) and the waiting list is 6-7 years (that dropped a bit). So in a nutshell given the laws of supply & demand - there will be no price decrease and there will be the same amount of tickets left over as the previous few years. That is - whatever is left over of the unclaimed "600 NHL holds" and what ever was not scooped up by us season ticket holders - as we get first dibs on the 1000 "free-market" seats/per game - which we typically buy-up for all the good games - leaving a few hundred seats for the rats to go after for the bottom feeding "cr^p games" for availability on ticket master when the tickets go on sale in Sept. So don't hold your breath and stop dreaming negative thoughts - as theses are the facts! This city is growing exponentially and the Canucks are this city's team - so if anything, the waiting list will get longer and longer as time goes on. No amount of cynicism and negativity can affect thsee inevitable facts!

There is definite disapointment in the Canucks faithful and i see a great deal of empty seats next year and the brilliant sell-out streak coming to an end. A real consideration on the part of myself and the friend i split season tickets with to just pick and choose the few teams we want to see. Interestingly our discussion on the tickets revolved around which teams we wanted to see play the Canucks instead of what it usually is ( teams that will be the best matchup against the Canucks). We like many fans believe that a decline in the works. With Laurence Gilman pretty much saying on 1040 that we are not going to change the core, it seems tickets will be plentiful. Boy their marketing better work real hard.

5JvK4Rn.gif

tumblr_mefhbv9XbB1ro1yrjo1_500.png

"Whut, are you gonna cry now? C'mon, crybaby. Cry for me. Come on. Cry.

Waaaaaaa-hah hah hah hah haaaaa!"

No doubt. I think this thread has inspired me to start a couple more threads:

Global Climate Change a Reality

The Decline in Middle Class Jobs a Reality

Of course if the Canucks play decline attendance and interest in them won't be as high. This also in, 1+1=2. Maybe I'll create a thread dicussing that. But com'n, the Aquilini's will be fine, the Canucks will rebuild once the Sedin's become less prominent and life will go on.

For me, a sellout means that every seat is processed through the gates. Not sure that's happening, so they may want to look at that. Sure, they've all been sold, but if they're to resellers who don't offload them, the arena isn't full and the energy level is diminished.

I honestly wish they (not the Canucks, just in general in regards to laws/regulations) would abolish all forms of scalping. I mean, guys get in your face as you're entering the building "wanna sell/buy tickets" and it has a dirty feel to it. I wish they'd crackdown on these sleazeballs because they're parasites in my mind.

And if resellers can buy them then jack up prices, is it really fair to the fans? Sure, the goal for the organization is to "sell" them and, with that, these places gobble up a good majority...but I find the whole thing a little disheartening as a fan. Supply/demand...I know. And I'm quite happy to watch on TV...but it does tick me off to know that these guys can profit off doing nothing more than having the funds to buy up tickets and then resell them. Do an honest day's work for chrissake. I do, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give you a fee for tickets that I should be able to simply purchase myself. I gave up on this game long ago, but will always support the team. Even if it means from home.

For me, a sellout means that every seat is processed through the gates. Not sure that's happening, so they may want to look at that. Sure, they've all been sold, but if they're to resellers who don't offload them, the arena isn't full and the energy level is diminished.

I honestly wish they (not the Canucks, just in general in regards to laws/regulations) would abolish all forms of scalping. I mean, guys get in your face as you're entering the building "wanna sell/buy tickets" and it has a dirty feel to it. I wish they'd crackdown on these sleazeballs because they're parasites in my mind.

And if resellers can buy them then jack up prices, is it really fair to the fans? Sure, the goal for the organization is to "sell" them and, with that, these places gobble up a good majority...but I find the whole thing a little disheartening as a fan. Supply/demand...I know. And I'm quite happy to watch on TV...but it does tick me off to know that these guys can profit off doing nothing more than having the funds to buy up tickets and then resell them. Do an honest day's work for chrissake.

The first guy the media goes to is a "ticket broker". He then goes on and on about how hard or easy it is to sell tickets. To me a ticket broker is a scalper. What ever happened to purchasing tickets at the window before games, at listed prices?

^ Exactly...I'm not sure why it's ok to have these places in the first place? Their entire gig is based on inflating costs to consumers...they're not doing us a service, it's a disservice. We're quite capable of purchasing our own tickets, if there are any left after they get in there. So eliminate this middle man.

In the winning era of the Canucks, it is silly to think there will be empty seats. As a user indicated, whoever bows out will be replaced.

My guess is that any waiting list is a split with privileged bandwagoners in successful mom&pop companies that can afford it, and die-hard fans that only NOW have been able to afford Vancity NHL ticket prices.

Ive met many different stripes of folks that have means to get/have tickets. I also am in league with a gentleman that brokers Canucks tickets. Last season was an anomaly with scalpers. Many took a bath. But in general, without getting needlessly analytical about it, they made mad $ off of Canuck games before the lockout.

Ownership were completely stupid to green light land development midway thru what could have been a crippling lockout.

The ticket increase this season was crass. A goddamned insult to anyone dealing with tickets.

People forget that a good % of these retained high priced tickets are not the providence of your awesome duder buddy/babe-chick that have questionable means of $ for these tickets. They DO exist. And they are envied. I hazard to speculate that the other half are actual long time fans that have economically 'grown' with the team

Embarrassingly, the ebb and flow of streaming $$$ has always been about corporate ticket holders. Thank Burkie for installing that,

That is where the shift would begin. And that shift only happens if the team somehow spontainiously combusts in a freak of nature crap show of losing. It has to be that extreme.

Now be sure of this...AV has jack-effing-crapolla to do with any discussion of ticket prices. So stop that underlining argument.

TimberWolf: By proxy of your fair questions, my ticket broker buddy informed me that ownership buying tix to skew attendance numbers are a complete myth. But they do certainly take a bath on face value prices when less than 500 "up for grab" seats are available. Luckily we are in the scale of peons that can access these tix along with certain wait list participants that actually paid money for those few seats.

The front page of CDC offers them every single game day.

I will tell you this, like ANY entertainment arena, there will always be untouched tickets. Veteran scalpers are able to source them to make cash.

It is a practice that has been in place for more than 35 years/

Empty seats will NOT be a reality.

I can only hope that management can craft lower prices in tandem with the fair-weather dink bandwagoners that will cancel, because that is happening right now, so some good and fun fans on that waitlist (or whatever) can go to a game affordably.

I feel its interesting as all hell that we now can go to Rogers Arena and hang out there, and sip on (overrpiced) brews and junk food to see the game in a new mega-sports bar.

In my world view...someone MUST halt the Aquas greed. Yeah, that sounds simple and dumb, but they are the savvy owners as id like them to be. They deserve any resistance from long standing ticket holders that see right thru their stupid attempts with price jacks related to adding on to Roger's Arena.

If the Canucks go for a full rebuild and continue to miss the playoffs because they suck that much with out the core, the sell out streak will end anyways.

What MG is trying to do now is utilize the young players in our system, instead of picking up temporary FA's. It creates a future while giving us a chance to win as well.. It's the same thing the Blackhawks just accomplished using some of the young players in their system mixed in with their core. It may not be the same exact thing technically as a rebuild, but at least it fits in to a degree with your little plan- one that would see the team completely disbanded and rebuilt from the ground up. Who knows how long that would take for us to even contend again, dude. :picard:

Honestly, I care more about my team than I do the cup. Go whine to some other NHL fans (Non Canuck) and have them agree with you, the loyal-stay-loyal and the fair weather go to where the weather is best. -- "Last to join, first to leave." Get the F outta here. :rolleyes:

Archived