The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Empty Seats a Reality

sosunnyhere

For me, a sellout means that every seat is processed through the gates. Not sure that's happening, so they may want to look at that. Sure, they've all been sold, but if they're to resellers who don't offload them, the arena isn't full and the energy level is diminished.

I honestly wish they (not the Canucks, just in general in regards to laws/regulations) would abolish all forms of scalping. I mean, guys get in your face as you're entering the building "wanna sell/buy tickets" and it has a dirty feel to it. I wish they'd crackdown on these sleazeballs because they're parasites in my mind.

And if resellers can buy them then jack up prices, is it really fair to the fans? Sure, the goal for the organization is to "sell" them and, with that, these places gobble up a good majority...but I find the whole thing a little disheartening as a fan. Supply/demand...I know. And I'm quite happy to watch on TV...but it does tick me off to know that these guys can profit off doing nothing more than having the funds to buy up tickets and then resell them. Do an honest day's work for chrissake. I do, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give you a fee for tickets that I should be able to simply purchase myself. I gave up on this game long ago, but will always support the team. Even if it means from home.

they should crack down on brokers for sure... i know lots of ppl have season tickets and they sell most of them... that's why there is probably a big waitlist cause most ppl will probably sell to make profit.. if u can make a profit of $3-5k a season, why not..

If what you say is true, then most of those season ticket holders would cancel their tickets.

The scalpers brokers are like bulk agents... they resell them and make a profit, sure. But if the canucks had to sell all those games individually, it would cost them more money.

Think of if this way... there's 45 games. What's easier/less expensive for the canucks? Sell all 45 tickets to one person........ or sell 1 game to 45 different people. It's chaotic and costs money. So season ticket holders basically act like distributors. Best example I could think of is "Newsies"... the newspaper delivery backs who would buy 100 newspapers and go out on the street and sell them for a bit more than they paid. The newspaper company preferred this because it meant they didn't have to distribute the papers themselves (which = $$$).

Same likely thing with season tickets. Canucks had one of the highest operating incomes in the league so they must be doing something right.

For me, a sellout means that every seat is processed through the gates. Not sure that's happening, so they may want to look at that. Sure, they've all been sold, but if they're to resellers who don't offload them, the arena isn't full and the energy level is diminished.

I honestly wish they (not the Canucks, just in general in regards to laws/regulations) would abolish all forms of scalping. I mean, guys get in your face as you're entering the building "wanna sell/buy tickets" and it has a dirty feel to it. I wish they'd crackdown on these sleazeballs because they're parasites in my mind.

And if resellers can buy them then jack up prices, is it really fair to the fans? Sure, the goal for the organization is to "sell" them and, with that, these places gobble up a good majority...but I find the whole thing a little disheartening as a fan. Supply/demand...I know. And I'm quite happy to watch on TV...but it does tick me off to know that these guys can profit off doing nothing more than having the funds to buy up tickets and then resell them. Do an honest day's work for chrissake. I do, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give you a fee for tickets that I should be able to simply purchase myself. I gave up on this game long ago, but will always support the team. Even if it means from home.

I agree, but this type of stuff goes on everywhere. From banking to housing. I'd call it gambling but it's worse because it drives up the prices for everyone else.

• 7 months later...

The Canucks haven't exactly been the most exciting team since the end of the Naslund era, but all the winning has made up for that. But if that winning goes away I can see(it's already started) a big decline in interest. I just wonder if it will change the teams willingness to spend to the cap.

Archived