289 replies to this topic

#1 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

Eklund, so take it with the usual Hoover Dam of salt.

You can also add NJ, the draft host team, to the possibilities, because Lou "is absolutely struck by the kid" and Vancouver who I hear is "working up a very intriguing package to get into the top 3 or 4." Now, while the Canucks stuff is not exactly a scoop, what I was told "off the record" last week, but given the OK to talk about now (and don't ask me why I am allowed to now...it is a bigger mystery to me, but I will never betray a source's confidences) is the Canucks aren't targeting Drouin. They are putting the package out there with the hopes of grabbing Valeri Nichushkin.

Kid is unreal. I would LOVE to get him for the right price. He is exactly the type of offensive powerhouse prospect we've failed to pick up since we drafted the Sedins. Get 'er done, GMMG!

#2 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

POPULAR

So since Eklund's put it out there, it isn't happening right?

#3 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,579 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

a russian..
on the canucks.
yeah right

Although with AV gone

OXwjSoG.gif

#4 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

6'4'' and 220 pounds. Sounds intriguing.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#5 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,830 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

POPULAR

I got my hopes up when I saw the title...but then I saw Eklund as the source.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#6 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Nichushkin is drawing comparisons to Malkin, why wouldn't the Canucks want to move up and snag him.

0190000007294316-photo-house-of-cards.jp

1190007304.png CDC STHS GM ||||| small.png CDCFL GM ||||| small.png EHL GM

#7 Relfk

Relfk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

I've wanted the Canucks to get Nischushkin since the world Juniors. He looked so dominant out there. I really really hope this is true. He'd be the perfect powerforward... maybe even turning out like Malkin.

#8 Relfk

Relfk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

I got my hopes up when I saw the title...but then I saw Eklund as the source.

He's not always wrong. He definately has some sources.

#9 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

He's not always wrong. He definately has some sources.

Last thing he broke was the new CBA proposal that led to the end of the lockout. He gets 2 or 3 things right a year and they're normally huge ones

#10 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

Do it... We need promising high level prospects and fast to compliment an aging core

#11 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

http://www.hockeysfu...hushkin-russia/

#12 Relfk

Relfk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

POPULAR

If Gillis somehow drafts this kid, I will forgive him for all his past gaffes... that's how freaking good this kid is..

#13 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

Ya, I'm not seeing it. Gillis is going to give up considerable assets for a Russian player? The only GM who's never drafted a single Russian player, never traded for a Russian player is gonna sudden trade up to draft a Russian player? I can't imagine that ever happening.

#14 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

That is if the Canucks will need to move up to pick him and move up considerably.

The late Alexei Cherepanov was the No. 1 ranked European skater, but fell to 17th overall. Same thing could happen with Valeri Nichushkin.

Posted Image

#15 Relfk

Relfk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

That is if the Canucks will need to move up to pick him and move up considerably.

The late Alexei Cherepanov was the No. 1 ranked European skater, but fell to 17th overall. Same thing could happen with Valeri Nichushkin.

He's way too good to move up that much.. 6 or 7th pick max.

#16 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

Ya, I'm not seeing it. Gillis is going to give up considerable assets for a Russian player? The only GM who's never drafted a single Russian player, never traded for a Russian player is gonna sudden trade up to draft a Russian player? I can't imagine that ever happening.

hes never drafted, traded for, or signed a finnish player either, i guess he hates fins must be why salo is gone. Nationality has nothing to do with it. If the player will play in the NHL teams dont care what country they were born in.

#17 dangler696969

dangler696969

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

To get him we would have to trade for probably the 4th or 5th pick. Thats either Nashville or Carolina.

Both of them have goalies. It would probably take Edler, Schoeder, and our 1st to snag one of those.

Problem is that he is stuck in the KHL for another 2 years....

#18 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Bures successor
Posted Image

#19 Relfk

Relfk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

Bures successor

Could very well be..

#20 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,129 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

I think this kid is toally being overshadowed by the big 3 this year. A big hulking russian with his speed is definitely something to drool over.

If the Canucks want to draft him, their best bet is to target Carolina's 5th overall pick IMO. Barkov will likely go 4th overall because I think Nashville neds cnters and he seems to be the right mix of size and skill.

Carolina just made some big moves getting Jordan Staal, and I would imagine they wanna make another big splash after such a disappointing season. The question is what would they want?

And of course this is Eklund, so I would only put so much stock into it. Interesting that he 's claiming it's not one of the top 3 though, since his rumors are usually ones like that to get hits on his website.

Edited by DeNiro, 02 June 2013 - 11:52 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#21 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

This guy is freakin amazing!!!! I would be ESTATIC if we got this guy some how!!

#22 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,129 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

He has nothing against Russian's. Otherwise he would have never spent so much time and energy trying to get Shirokov over here.

With AV gone, Russian players have a much better shot of playing on this team

Posted Image

#23 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

I see "top prospect" = :lol: I see "Eklund" = :sick: :sadno: :shock: :picard: :angry:

#24 Relfk

Relfk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1T7Gx3ooBk

This guy is freakin amazing!!!! I would be ESTATIC if we got this guy some how!!

I'm tellin ya, he'll be the best decision the Canucks have made in 10 years if Gillis somehow snags him. Maybe package our first with NYI's 1st from the Luongo-Dipietro deal and a bit more if it did happen.

#25 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

I think this kid is toally being overshadowed by the big 3 this year. A big hulking russian with his speed is definitely something to drool over.

If the Canucks want to draft him, their best bet is to target Carolina's 5th overall pick IMO. Barkov will likely go 4th overall because I think Nashville neds cnters and he seems to be the right mix of size and skill.

Carolina just made some big moves getting Jordan Staal, and I would imagine they wanna make another big splash after such a disappointing season. The question is what would they want?

And of course this is Eklund, so I would only put so much stock into it. Interesting that he 's claiming it's not one of the top 3 though, since his rumors are usually ones like that to get hits on his website.

Hey Deniro, I know you follow the youth movement very closely. Do you think this guy can go top 3? Is he better than Barkov? Looks like could be a better skater.. Uses his body very well to gain the advantage over his opponents, and has some sick mitts as well...

#26 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,129 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

Hey Deniro, I know you follow the youth movement very closely. Do you think this guy can go top 3? Is he better than Barkov? Looks like could be a better skater.. Uses his body very well to gain the advantage over his opponents, and has some sick mitts as well...

Top 3? No. Mackinnon, Jones, and Drouin will almost certainly be top 3, the only question is which order.

I think he's good enough to go top 3 in alot of drafts though. It's just so much hype has been put on the top 3 this year, he has kind of been overshadowed. And with the Russian factor, I think teams are afraid that he's so good, that the KHL will do whatever they can to keep him there.

But with his combination of size, speed, and puck control, he's the prototypical powerforward that every team seems to want nowadays. And with teams getting bigger and stronger, this is the guy you want.

I honestly think he could be the second best pick in this years draft, that's how good this guy could be. I don't think too many scouts throw around Malkin and Ovechkin comparisons too casually; but they seem to be with this guy. And with good reason.

Edited by DeNiro, 03 June 2013 - 12:07 AM.

Posted Image

#27 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

Three way trade between NYR, Canucks, and Rangers.

TO NYR:
Schroeder (assuming they're buying out Richards)
2013 VAN 3rd and 2014 VAN 2nd
Hansen from VAN or Tlusty from CAR

TO CAR:
M. Staal
2013 VAN 1st

TO VAN:
5th overall 1st pick in 2013

OBVIOUSLY this isn't going to be perfect value (likely far from it), but I would do Schroeder + Hansen + 2nd/3rd for M. Staal, then flip him for the 5th overall along with our 1st.

#28 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,129 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

If you look at history, top 10 picks rarely get traded, let alone top 5 picks.

To move up just 2 spots in the draft typically costs your first and early 2nd round pick, and sometimes a 3rd. (Leafs 2008, Preds 2008)

So when you consider that the Canucks are picking 24th, you can imagine it will cost alot more than that. Edler would be the starting price, along with our 1st and a 2nd, and probably one of our top prospects would be my guess.

Carolina recently traded away their 8th overall pick, so they're obviously not against it. When you look at their roster, it's obvious they wanna win now. They've got too much money committed to be rebuilding. So I would imagine they'll be entertaining offers.

Posted Image

#29 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

Wouldn't every team *want* to move up in the draft to get a top prospect, though? Not really a rumour. But I suppose Eklund has to get his publicity and hits on his website somehow.

abl8vt.jpg

#30 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

I'd be crazy happy if we got one of the top 5 picks this draft is so deep. And all the cup contenders have gotten there with a top 5 pick before. Ex/ Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Toews ect.
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.