The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks want to move up in the draft to get top prospect

Eklund, so take it with the usual Hoover Dam of salt.

You can also add NJ, the draft host team, to the possibilities, because Lou "is absolutely struck by the kid" and Vancouver who I hear is "working up a very intriguing package to get into the top 3 or 4." Now, while the Canucks stuff is not exactly a scoop, what I was told "off the record" last week, but given the OK to talk about now (and don't ask me why I am allowed to now...it is a bigger mystery to me, but I will never betray a source's confidences) is the Canucks aren't targeting Drouin. They are putting the package out there with the hopes of grabbing Valeri Nichushkin.

I've wanted the Canucks to get Nischushkin since the world Juniors. He looked so dominant out there. I really really hope this is true. He'd be the perfect powerforward... maybe even turning out like Malkin.

Ya, I'm not seeing it. Gillis is going to give up considerable assets for a Russian player? The only GM who's never drafted a single Russian player, never traded for a Russian player is gonna sudden trade up to draft a Russian player? I can't imagine that ever happening.

That is if the Canucks will need to move up to pick him and move up considerably.

The late Alexei Cherepanov was the No. 1 ranked European skater, but fell to 17th overall. Same thing could happen with Valeri Nichushkin.

That is if the Canucks will need to move up to pick him and move up considerably.

The late Alexei Cherepanov was the No. 1 ranked European skater, but fell to 17th overall. Same thing could happen with Valeri Nichushkin.

Ya, I'm not seeing it. Gillis is going to give up considerable assets for a Russian player? The only GM who's never drafted a single Russian player, never traded for a Russian player is gonna sudden trade up to draft a Russian player? I can't imagine that ever happening.

To get him we would have to trade for probably the 4th or 5th pick. Thats either Nashville or Carolina.

Both of them have goalies. It would probably take Edler, Schoeder, and our 1st to snag one of those.

Problem is that he is stuck in the KHL for another 2 years....

I think this kid is toally being overshadowed by the big 3 this year. A big hulking russian with his speed is definitely something to drool over.

If the Canucks want to draft him, their best bet is to target Carolina's 5th overall pick IMO. Barkov will likely go 4th overall because I think Nashville neds cnters and he seems to be the right mix of size and skill.

Carolina just made some big moves getting Jordan Staal, and I would imagine they wanna make another big splash after such a disappointing season. The question is what would they want?

And of course this is Eklund, so I would only put so much stock into it. Interesting that he 's claiming it's not one of the top 3 though, since his rumors are usually ones like that to get hits on his website.

Archived