The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks want to move up in the draft to get top prospect

My goodness, just watching his powerful stride, his size, his skill, and how hungry he is on the puck...this guy looks like the perfect scoring power forward.

Honestly, we can't go wrong with any picks in the top-5, but I would be stoked if we could land a player like this and develop him. Also, I'd just be happy if we had a top-5 pick this year.

There's too much praise and no one is mentioning enough negatives for Nichushkin. The kid will go anywhere 5-12. Most likely somewhere in between. Elite skating, and can be physical. The reason why he isn't at the top is because scouts aren't sure if his offensive game will translate in the NHL. Also, there are rumors that he will either play for the NHL or the KHL next season. He could probably play in the NHL now but if he struggles and you try to demote him, then obviously hope that he doesn't bolt.

Comparisons to Ovechkin/Malkin are based on style, as it is for every player comparison. It isn't direct, so please don't take it that way. If he was close to Malkin/Ovechkin, he'd be the 1st pick. It's Jones, MacKinnon, Druion, and Barkov. After that, the 2nd tiers are in the 5-12 range. Lindholm would be in that group if he was more consistent, but the skill is there. Barkov is the ultimate wild card because he is still very raw opposed to the other prospect. He's a year younger.

Also consider the fact that the top 3(It should be 4) are not projected to be generation players like Stamkos and Tavares. They are a tier below and not expected to be anywhere close to Malkin/Crosby/Ovechkin level. Not to say that they have no chance at becoming that good, it's just been the projection throughout the year.

It would cost a small fortune to get into the top 5. Something like Edler, Luongo, Jensen, 1st, 2nd (and we don't even have our 2nd this year so it would have to be next years), and a 3rd. And even then I'm not sure the team would go for it. And then you have to take into consideration the amount of cap that would be going to the other team. The teams that are drafting in the top 5 probably can't afford to take on that much cap. So then you would have to swap out either Luongo or Edler and throw in another prospect or two.

The cost to get that high up in the draft is almost crippling. Especially when the team that you're trading with would be moving down from top 5 to near bottom 5 in the first round. So they are definitely going to want a good prospect or two coming back their way.

EDIT: Actually I think we might have to trade Schneider in order to get into the top 5. And even then that's a hard sell. Look at the teams picking number 4 and number 5. Nashville (4th overall) their goalie is Rinne, they don't need a goalie. Carolina (5th overall) their goalie is Cam Ward. They don't need a goalie as well. Colorado (1st overall) has Varlamov, Flordia (2nd overall) has Markstrom, Tampa Bay (3rd overall) just signed Bishop to an extension. No team in the top 5 needs a goalie. So you can't even trade Lu or Schneids in order to get a top 5 pick. That means that you'll probably have to give up even more prospects. Something like Edler, Jensen, (Gaunce? Corrado?), 1st, 2nd (2014 2nd round pick, meaning we won't have a 2nd round pick for two years in a row), and a 3rd for say the 5th overall pick?

And even then that 5th overall pick might not even be Nichushkin. Nashville could take him 4th overall. That would leave us with Barkov (who is still one hell of a player). And then there's the Russian factor. He could go back to Russia in a couple years if we can't afford to pay him what he wants or if he is just generally unhappy.

I dunno. I think if Gillis can pull this off and get us this Nichushkin kid for a fair value then I would be all for it. But I think it would be smarter, just because the price would be waaaaay less, to move up to somewhere around the 15th pick (maybe get the Islanders 1st round pick in a deal involving Lu?) and draft a guy along the lines of Mantha, Gauthier, Horvat, etc.

There's too much praise and no one is mentioning enough negatives for Nichushkin. The kid will go anywhere 5-12. Most likely somewhere in between. Elite skating, and can be physical. The reason why he isn't at the top is because scouts aren't sure if his offensive game will translate in the NHL. Also, there are rumors that he will either play for the NHL or the KHL next season. He could probably play in the NHL now but if he struggles and you try to demote him, then obviously hope that he doesn't bolt.

Comparisons to Ovechkin/Malkin are based on style, as it is for every player comparison. It isn't direct, so please don't take it that way. If he was close to Malkin/Ovechkin, he'd be the 1st pick. It's Jones, MacKinnon, Druion, and Barkov. After that, the 2nd tiers are in the 5-12 range. Lindholm would be in that group if he was more consistent, but the skill is there. Barkov is the ultimate wild card because he is still very raw opposed to the other prospect. He's a year younger.

Also consider the fact that the top 3(It should be 4) are not projected to be generation players like Stamkos and Tavares. They are a tier below and not expected to be anywhere close to Malkin/Crosby/Ovechkin level. Not to say that they have no chance at becoming that good, it's just been the projection throughout the year.

If we can get into the top 5, that'd be awesome. McKinnon, Drouin and Nichushkin are all superstars in the making. Jones looks good too, but defencemen picked in the top 5 rarely live up to the hype (Hedman, Barker, etc.).

Its great that he drives the net net and all but can he do anything else. Im kinda not impressed with those highlights. I can defend that (not really). Does he hit? Shoot? Make crisp passes? Play defence? I mean nhl defenseman aren't just going to let this kid walk right in all the time.try those stunts against weber see what happens.

Archived