The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keep Edler

Mr.53

I personally don't understand why everyone wants Edler gone so badly. I understand he did disappoint this year, but so did nearly everyone else. Sedins, Higgins, Lappy, KASSIAN, etc. I actually don't think he was as awful as everyone thinks. Besides, next year Edler will bounce back and be a huge asset. He also already took a paycut because he wants to be here, and next year he's going to be hungry to prove himself. We've seen Edler when he's on his game and he is a monster. 6'3, 215 pounds, he can put up 40 points a season if not more and we have him locked in for 6 years. He will be a huge asset. I also think our d group is pretty solid.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Corrado

I think this is a pretty good defensive lineup. Each line has at least one impactful shooter but is still reliable defensively. With Tanev Edler should do pretty well. He can also be good on the pp if we pair him up with Garrison. There is really no need to trade him and poke a pretty significant hole in our d when we still have pretty non-useful players who should go. Such as ballard, schroeder, luongo, etc. I say unless we are getting HUGE return with Edler, trading him will be a catastrophic mistake.

I don't want him traded at all, but it's not surprising to see the Canucks fan base turn on him.

1) Fans are desperate for change

2) He struggled this year

3) He's the only contract people think that can be moved

4) He has value, a whole lot of it.

5) He has a fairly big contract.

I only don't understand why people think, he's going to be a throw in or traded away for nothing. He gets a lot of undeserved heat, but what do you expect. We are known as a terrible fan base for a reason.

Who gives up on a 27 year defense man, with his skill set. He's still better than most of the guys in the league despite his struggles last year. If the Canucks don't want him, teams will be lining up and if he falls into a team that deals with Edler properly, unlike the Canucks. Then, it's going to bite us in the ass.

I've been saying forever. Get a true puck moving defense man, and not only does it fix the Twins ability to move quicker up the ice. Edler gets back to playing his game. Stupid team has him playing as a puck moving for the past few years because they were too cheap to re-sign Ehrhoff and expected Edler to replace Ehrhoff's point production. The new coach will probably help Edler's game unless it's the management being dumb and telling the coaching staff to use Edler as a puck mover defense man, like they have.

Edler is better off going to Detroit, where he can developed properly and turn into the defense man everyone thought he'd be. This allows the Bieksa fan boys to have a reason to keep Bieksa. Aside from Beiksa, the Defense on the team is soft like butter. Teams love playing against the Canucks cause it doesn't hurt to fore check or go into the zone. One of the many reasons, team has failed to have playoff success. Edler's the only one that can throw a hit to someone that is 6'3+

If Edler can be packaged for either a prospect player or pick that gets us into the top 5 or a solid prospect and a top 15 overall pick this year as well I am sorry but the Canucks would be crazy to not trade him. A 40 point D-Man or a 50-70 point forward or center...your call

Problem is he had a bad year, and 2 bad playoffs in a row. He'll be 28 at the end of next season, so if he has another bad year, we are stuck with an NTC and 5 another five years at 6M.

He will lose all his value and he will have an NTC. Basically that will be the Luongo Saga version 2.0. He will have some value but with his contract and NTC will be unmovable.

Now he still has almost full value because there is still hope and other team will take a chance and could give up something substantial.

Bieksa 31 and prone to getting hurt

Hamhuis 30 and not bulletproof

Ballard 30 and hardly in the lineup

Garrison 28 and relatively untested

Edler 27 and not bulletproof

Tanev 23 and not bulletproof

Corrado 20

Edler is the only all-star in this bunch. But he's not a clear #1 either. If we trade him, we're in trouble, short-term, and we're adding to the pile of developmental and failures.

I think he and the rest of these guys perform better with more help up front. Trick is getting it.

I'd still give him a shot. Look at KB3, everyone wanted him gone a few years ago, and then he had a comeback year.

Yes he's valuable, but so are the Sedins, Kesler, and Schneider, so that's a rather dumb argument.

Defensively he's barely an NHL player and has always sucked in his own end. We have too much money wrapped up in defence and an inability to change the line-up moving forward.

Putting up 40 points while playing top minutes and PP time and having zero defensive responsiblity with the Sedins is not overly impressive. Not sure why so many people overlook the defensive aspect of the defence postion. Below my comphrehension since the word defence is in defenceman but whatever.

Keeping him into his NTC determines that this defence core will be one of the most expensive yet one of the most horrible defenensively in the entire league for years to come. Just doesn't make sense.

You can hide one defensively poor player in your top 6, but not two. Either you have to trade Edler or Bieksa IMO. You can't have 2 of your top 4 not having a clue what's going on when they are on the ice.

Problem is he had a bad year, and 2 bad playoffs in a row. He'll be 28 at the end of next season, so if he has another bad year, we are stuck with an NTC and 5 another five years at 6M.

He will lose all his value and he will have an NTC. Basically that will be the Luongo Saga version 2.0. He will have some value but with his contract and NTC will be unmovable.

Now he still has almost full value because there is still hope and other team will take a chance and could give up something substantial.

Archived