The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keep Edler

Mr.53

Defensively he's barely an NHL player and has always sucked in his own end. We have too much money wrapped up in defence and an inability to change the line-up moving forward.

Putting up 40 points while playing top minutes and PP time and having zero defensive responsiblity with the Sedins is not overly impressive. Not sure why so many people overlook the defensive aspect of the defence postion. Below my comphrehension since the word defence is in defenceman but whatever.

Keeping him into his NTC determines that this defence core will be one of the most expensive yet one of the most horrible defenensively in the entire league for years to come. Just doesn't make sense.

You can hide one defensively poor player in your top 6, but not two. Either you have to trade Edler or Bieksa IMO. You can't have 2 of your top 4 not having a clue what's going on when they are on the ice.

Whomever can't see this obvious fact is blind as a bat. Nothing like putting all your bets on a longshot.

Am I the only one thinking having Corrado and Tanev in the lineup at the same time makes Canucks D even softer?

Although I've seen Corrado make some hits, and Tanev is usually receiving hits, neither one looks or plays intimidating. The opposition will continue to crash the crease knowing there's nothing the Canucks players can do about it, unless Bieska is on the ice.

Am I the only one thinking having Corrado and Tanev in the lineup at the same time makes Canucks D even softer?

Although I've seen Corrado make some hits, and Tanev is usually receiving hits, neither one looks or plays intimidating. The opposition will continue to crash the crease knowing there's nothing the Canucks players can do about it, unless Bieska is on the ice.

You dont have to necessarily be mega big to play correctly in front of the net. Coaches rather would have the defenders focus on positioning and having a good stick.

I dont disagree with you, though. If anything i am a fan of defencemen that can channel their inner nasty Larry Robinson, who had no problem getting his gnarly on.

Either Edler stays (which I'm fine with) and we continue to have a very solid D or we trade from a strength (our D) and fill a hole elsewhere if the return makes sense. It's business, if there's a business case for him to stay (no worthwhile trade), he stays. If there's a case for him to go (a trade that improves the overall team), he goes.

This emotional, reactionary response on either side is silly. He's not anywhere as bad as his detractors say and his skill set, contract and abilities are reasons to both keep him and to trade him. Whether he gets traded really has little to do with Edler and more to do with what the possible return is (or isn't).

If he can be packaged (with other assets) to say get us Weber, Gillis would be foolish not to look at it. Or say straight across for Ryan and then we sign a big, surly, vet RHD for ~$3m to play on the second pair to replace him. Again, he'd HAVE to look at it.

I vote to keep Edler (d-men are a premium right now), and make the fiscally responsible move to trade the Sedins. Let's face it:

1. Daniel is not worth $6.1M

2. Probably not going to re-sign them after next season anyway so let's move on now.

3. Time for change in leadership, I say make Bieksa the captain. Make it a grittier team.

I vote to keep Edler (d-men are a premium right now), and make the fiscally responsible move to trade the Sedins. Let's face it:

2. Probably not going to re-sign them after next season anyway so let's move on now.

3. Time for change in leadership, I say make Bieksa the captain. Make it a grittier team.

If and it's a GIANT if, the Sedins were to be traded it would be at the deadline and only if the team looked like it was going to miss the playoffs. One because, they ARE our offense, two, it's the only way any team might be able to afford both their contracts. (Hopefully with the understanding they'd re-sign here in the summer.)

2-Where the hell are you getting that from? They'd probably sign for a discount and we're not going to find two better players for less money. They will almost assuredly retire here.

1. Why wait until the deadline? Rip the band-aid off now! I'll give you that Henrik is our best offensive threat right now, but I argue that Daniel is. He's just a benificiary of Henrick's playmaking skills. If there was a way to keep Henrik and trade Daniel, I would do that. But that's not possible.My suggestion is to buy-out Daniel and that would make Henrik open to a trade so he could re-unite with his brother somewhere else. Get a HIGH 1st round pick or a 1st and prospects for him.2. These guys will be 34 when they sign their next contracts. I don't want a 34 year old package deal... in fact I am sick of the package deal. Time to move on now rather than later.Besides, say we trade the Sedins (and get a 1st round and some prospects in return), and in turn go after some affordable UFA's like Nathan Horton, Clarkson, Bozak. I think we're still a playoff team.

Hahahahaha, that's a good one J.R.!

All seriousness though, you really believe re-signing 34 year old Sedins would be a good move for the franchise?

Also, don't you think it would be super hard to move two brothers who are a package deal, and have solid NTC/NMC and get much in return at the trade deadline?

I'm sorry but, this post makes little sense to me. The Sedins are due for a contract extension soon, and i do not see either Sedin asking for 6 mill, let alone more than that.

They had a great offseason playing with Sweden. For some reason.. doing well playing for a different country often gives guys a great bounce-back season.

Many perceptions of them are situational. They are a lot better when the rest of the team scores, too. Think of how well people perform when the top line is expected to score most of the goals? And how far those teams get?

The short log-jammed season hurt them. But they still managed to stay at their 80ish point pace. I do not see them going anywhere. Nor would I want them to. There is no trade out there that would replace their value and compatibility on our team. (I mean a realistic trade, not the 6-beers-in trades that people propose around here)

I wouldn't be trading D assets for Forwards so hastily. It was made quite evident this year that defense is winning playoff games.

As for Edler, it's not that he's had one bad year, he had two. I have seen hope but still no consistent streak of play at the level that we're expecting ever since the 2011 regular season ended.

I wouldn't be trading D assets for Forwards so hastily. It was made quite evident this year that defense is winning playoff games.

As for Edler, it's not that he's had one bad year, he had two. I have seen hope but still no consistent streak of play at the level that we're expecting ever since the 2011 regular season ended.

Archived