#1 Van bc

Van bc

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

POPULAR

Canucks GM Gillis was 1 of 7 GMs trying to sign KHL Russian defenceman Anton Below. The six-foot-four 220 pound 26 year old defenceman has drawn a lot of NHL attention this season with his punishing defencive play, plus-19, 9 goals, 17 assists in 46 KHL games. Anton Below told reporters he had narrowed his list of NHL teams to 7 and was waiting for the KHL season to end before picking announcing his chosen team. Gillis had Contacted the monster Russian defencemans agent only once back in February while other team GMs had contacted Anton directly. Edmonton Oilers GM had talked to the Russian defenceman numerous times and actually took the time to arrange a conversation between Anton Below and Nail Yakupov which to me doesn't seem like a bunch of effort especially when we are talking about a cheap entry level contract player that is already playing in a PRO hockey league. Entry level contract equals a small safe contract which should be extremely important to a team close to a inflated salary cap. Guess what folks he signed with the Edmonton Oilers not us! I know it must seem like a small deal to most of us but these situations are adding up quickly. I'm getting tired of being out played on the ice now we are constantly getting out GM'd off the ice too.

#2 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

POPULAR

Canucks GM Gillis was 1 of 7 GMs trying to sign KHL Russian defenceman Anton Below. The six-foot-four 220 pound 26 year old defenceman has drawn a lot of NHL attention this season with his punishing defencive play, plus-19, 9 goals, 17 assists in 46 KHL games. Anton Below told reporters he had narrowed his list of NHL teams to 7 and was waiting for the KHL season to end before picking announcing his chosen team. Gillis had Contacted the monster Russian defencemans agent only once back in February while other team GMs had contacted Anton directly. Edmonton Oilers GM had talked to the Russian defenceman numerous times and actually took the time to arrange a conversation between Anton Below and Nail Yakupov which to me doesn't seem like a bunch of effort especially when we are talking about a cheap entry level contract player that is already playing in a PRO hockey league. Entry level contract equals a small safe contract which should be extremely important to a team close to a inflated salary cap. Guess what folks he signed with the Edmonton Oilers not us! I know it must seem like a small deal to most of us but these situations are adding up quickly. I'm getting tired of being out played on the ice now we are constantly getting out GM'd off the ice too.

you know what the oilers did right? Guaranteed him mins on the blue line. Thats something the oilers can do while we cant. He would have to earn his mins from the wolves (or utica) all the way up to the canucks like everyone else. Sadly a lot of todays youth isn't willing to do that (schultz).

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#3 Van bc

Van bc

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

POPULAR

He signed a ENTRY LEVEL CONTRACT which is a TWO WAY CONTRACT and is no guarantee of ice time infact it is no guarantee of even making the NHL club. The player is willing to play in the system and earn ice time. Actually the Justin Schultz contract was also an entry level contract and their GM said there was no guarantee of ice time when ask about Schultz. If all that it took to sign great players was a guarantee of ice time i'm sure Gillis would say what ever it took to sign a player but no GM would ever guarantee this and I often wondered where those rumours get started.

#4 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

Russians probably don't think too highly of Vancouver.

Edmonton has had much better success.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#5 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

He signed a ENTRY LEVEL CONTRACT which is a TWO WAY CONTRACT and is no guarantee of ice time infact it is no guarantee of even making the NHL club. The player is willing to play in the system and earn ice time. Actually the Justin Schultz contract was also an entry level contract and their GM said there was no guarantee of ice time when ask about Schultz. If all that it took to sign great players was a guarantee of ice time i'm sure Gillis would say what ever it took to sign a player but no GM would ever guarantee this and I often wondered where those rumours get started.

ya Im sure the oilers didnt say to Schultz that he wasn't going to get top pairing mins with #1 pp honors just like this new kid. Pull your head out of your ass man. How do you think Schultz was won then a hot pink bristle board presentation?

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#6 Van bc

Van bc

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

ya Im sure the oilers didn't say to Schultz that he wasn't going to get top pairing mins with #1 pp honors just like this new kid. Pull your head out of your ass man. How do you think Schultz was won then a hot pink bristle board presentation?

But Shultz didn't get number one pairing time at all and was number 2 pairing all 48 games he played. With what Schultz did this year I have a hard time believing he wouldn't get powerplay time on any team in the NHL including our canucks. Gillis is not going after these opportunities like he should there is nothing more to it then that. He needs to put more effort into getting these guys or we need to replace him with someone that can. He snoozes we lose and then yes I give my head a shake

#7 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:22 AM

Which obviously means that Gillis was desperate to get him right? :picard:

Edited by MJDDawg, 05 June 2013 - 06:22 AM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#8 Van bc

Van bc

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Which obviously means that Gillis was desperate to get him right? :picard:

Gillis did have interest in getting both mentioned players but failed on both counts. These are players that should be playing for the canucks or wolves but are not for what ever reason you want to call it. lack of desperation or being lazy whatever it is it should be addressed is all i'm saying.

#9 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,402 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

POPULAR

Gillis did have interest in getting both mentioned players but failed on both counts. These are players that should be playing for the canucks or wolves but are not for what ever reason you want to call it. lack of desperation or being lazy whatever it is it should be addressed is all i'm saying.

Nope
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

http://blogs.edmonto...gm-lawton-says/

http://blogs.edmonto...justin-schultz/

http://m.hkref.com/m...Xschulju01.html

Do your research my friend

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#11 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

Yes, another great job by Tambellini to win this kid over......., oh wait.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#12 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

The only thing that's desparate is you constantly running down Gillis, a head coatch and a home for the farm team is a tad more pressing than a Russian who will bolt to the KHL if you don't play him top lime minutes [Shultz].

#13 ABNuck

ABNuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

POPULAR

I just want to make sure that I am getting this story straight: 7 GM's in the NHL asked about Below (so 23 didn't even waste their time)...6 GM's didn't win (including our GMMG)...and he signed in Edmonton where a fellow young countryman plays, and where, for the most part, the bulk of the roster is within roughly the same peer group. Hmmm if this guy is the second coming of Scott Stevens then it sounds like 29 GM's got out GM'd. If in fact he turns out to be simply a decent serviceable NHL defencemen, we've already got a few that can step up...I think we'll survive this latest MAJOR SETBACK. Now please step away from the keyboard and take your calming meds before we have an "incident".

#14 Van bc

Van bc

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

http://blogs.edmonto...gm-lawton-says/

http://blogs.edmonto...justin-schultz/

http://m.hkref.com/m...Xschulju01.html

Do your research my friend

Oilers GM was interviewed after signing saying" no GM in this league would ever guarantee ice time to a player just to get him to sign a contract despite what media says" so I guess you missed that statement.

#15 Van bc

Van bc

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

I just want to make sure that I am getting this story straight: 7 GM's in the NHL asked about Below (so 23 didn't even waste their time)...6 GM's didn't win (including our GMMG)...and he signed in Edmonton where a fellow young countryman plays, and where, for the most part, the bulk of the roster is within roughly the same peer group. Hmmm if this guy is the second coming of Scott Stevens then it sounds like 29 GM's got out GM'd. If in fact he turns out to be simply a decent serviceable NHL defencemen, we've already got a few that can step up...I think we'll survive this latest MAJOR SETBACK. Now please step away from the keyboard and take your calming meds before we have an "incident".

The player himself narrowed the list of teams to 7 and the canucks were on of the seven or should I say one of the 6 he turned down.

#16 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

Oilers GM was interviewed after signing saying" no GM in this league would ever guarantee ice time to a player just to get him to sign a contract despite what media says" so I guess you missed that statement.

Well, maybe something could be said, without actually spelling out. Things can be implied, without specifically saying them. Maybe nothing about ice time was promised.

In the long run, this doesn't mean squat. Shall we go off to the next tea pot?

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#17 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

Edmonton signing another kid is not going to help them. That's why they're still at the bottom of the league. They need veteran leadership to stabilize the young core or they will continue to be all flash and no structure.

#18 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

7 GM's tried 6 failed. Therefore 6 got out-GM'd. Is that what you're saying?

Seriously a kid has a much better chance at playing on the Oilers than the Canucks with the D-men we have. And he doesn't have to deal with Vancouver 'fans' which is amazingly bad when something goes wrong (even the slighest thing not a young kid choosing an opposition - when it's his decision to begin with!). When something goes right they are great. We looked good back in 2011 and the fans were excited, now every loss is about who is next to leave the team and how we can bring an all-star team while trading our 'scraps'.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#19 Van bc

Van bc

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Edmonton signing another kid is not going to help them. That's why they're still at the bottom of the league. They need veteran leadership to stabilize the young core or they will continue to be all flash and no structure.

I hope you're right because we will have to play them a lot as they improve. Now that we will have to play divisional playoff hockey we will see a lot of those pesky OIlers and they have beat up on us a lot in the last 2 seasons and their still getting better and we are well getting older and slower. lets just add more Mason Raymond and everything will be fine.

#20 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

POPULAR

reading all these posts, i'ld have to say, you got out posted....

#21 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

Oilers had Yakupov call him and Vancouver had Ballard call him....... It was an easy choice for Below

#22 freebass

freebass

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

I hope you're right because we will have to play them a lot as they improve. Now that we will have to play divisional playoff hockey we will see a lot of those pesky OIlers and they have beat up on us a lot in the last 2 seasons and their still getting better and we are well getting older and slower. lets just add more Mason Raymond and everything will be fine.

I think we actually play them less now, 5 times instead of 6.

I never thought this forum would ever be any good but this whole penis thing is pretty awesome.

I said we lost to USA because of ARE GOALTENDING!!! do you know how to read?

#23 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

what are you getting at with mason Raymond. I doubt he'll get inked by vancouver. And if he does it will be cheap. Btw Vancouver vs Edmonton record in the last 2 seasons is 5-4 canucks. And the last time I checked the only thing they're good at winning is the draft lottery. your ome correct statement in this entire thread is that they are getting better.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#24 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

Remember when the Flames had a big KHL signing last year? How did that work out for them? I guess it's Edmonton's turn now. Fine with me.
Posted Image

#25 Van bc

Van bc

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

reading all these posts, i'ld have to say, you got out posted....

I wonder why Gillis keeps losing out to other GMs in the league. Its not because other GMs offer ice time that's crazy talk maybe its the same reason player didn't want to play for the islanders. A sad future.

#26 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

You really think that below guy is better than Juice, Hamhuis, Garrisson and Edler?

He probably looks tough in Russia in a league with half the physical play than the NHL. I bet you never saw the guys face, let alone play hockey and you think he's GOD.

I'm sure Gillis sent scout over there and knows much more about him than you. If he was that good he would have put everything on the table. He was just interested because he was a free player (UFA).

The guy probably doesn't speak english at all and that is why he was more interested in playing with a guy like Yakupov.

If he was that good, TSN would have made a monster story on the guy like Brunnstrom. Look how that turned out, imagine this guy.

Edited by timberz21, 05 June 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#27 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,402 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

Remember when the Flames had a big KHL signing last year? How did that work out for them? I guess it's Edmonton's turn now. Fine with me.

Remember that thread where KingoftheES said the canucks wouldn't make the playoffs and implied the Flames were going to be so much better than us.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,402 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

I wonder why Gillis keeps losing out to other GMs in the league. Its not because other GMs offer ice time that's crazy talk maybe its the same reason player didn't want to play for the islanders. A sad future.

GIllis just goes hard for guys he knows can play in the NHL and get them rather than guys that might be able to help. Like Jason Garrison or Dan Hamhuis.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 Van bc

Van bc

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

I think we actually play them less now, 5 times instead of 6.

I don't care how many times the OIlers beat us in the regular season I care about how they will embarrass us in the playoffs, if they make it in that is.

#30 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,486 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

You should choose another team to cheer for quickly before it is too late .. :picard:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.