The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis out GM'd again!

Van bc

Canucks GM Gillis was 1 of 7 GMs trying to sign KHL Russian defenceman Anton Below. The six-foot-four 220 pound 26 year old defenceman has drawn a lot of NHL attention this season with his punishing defencive play, plus-19, 9 goals, 17 assists in 46 KHL games. Anton Below told reporters he had narrowed his list of NHL teams to 7 and was waiting for the KHL season to end before picking announcing his chosen team. Gillis had Contacted the monster Russian defencemans agent only once back in February while other team GMs had contacted Anton directly. Edmonton Oilers GM had talked to the Russian defenceman numerous times and actually took the time to arrange a conversation between Anton Below and Nail Yakupov which to me doesn't seem like a bunch of effort especially when we are talking about a cheap entry level contract player that is already playing in a PRO hockey league. Entry level contract equals a small safe contract which should be extremely important to a team close to a inflated salary cap. Guess what folks he signed with the Edmonton Oilers not us! I know it must seem like a small deal to most of us but these situations are adding up quickly. I'm getting tired of being out played on the ice now we are constantly getting out GM'd off the ice too.

Canucks GM Gillis was 1 of 7 GMs trying to sign KHL Russian defenceman Anton Below. The six-foot-four 220 pound 26 year old defenceman has drawn a lot of NHL attention this season with his punishing defencive play, plus-19, 9 goals, 17 assists in 46 KHL games. Anton Below told reporters he had narrowed his list of NHL teams to 7 and was waiting for the KHL season to end before picking announcing his chosen team. Gillis had Contacted the monster Russian defencemans agent only once back in February while other team GMs had contacted Anton directly. Edmonton Oilers GM had talked to the Russian defenceman numerous times and actually took the time to arrange a conversation between Anton Below and Nail Yakupov which to me doesn't seem like a bunch of effort especially when we are talking about a cheap entry level contract player that is already playing in a PRO hockey league. Entry level contract equals a small safe contract which should be extremely important to a team close to a inflated salary cap. Guess what folks he signed with the Edmonton Oilers not us! I know it must seem like a small deal to most of us but these situations are adding up quickly. I'm getting tired of being out played on the ice now we are constantly getting out GM'd off the ice too.

He signed a ENTRY LEVEL CONTRACT which is a TWO WAY CONTRACT and is no guarantee of ice time infact it is no guarantee of even making the NHL club. The player is willing to play in the system and earn ice time. Actually the Justin Schultz contract was also an entry level contract and their GM said there was no guarantee of ice time when ask about Schultz. If all that it took to sign great players was a guarantee of ice time i'm sure Gillis would say what ever it took to sign a player but no GM would ever guarantee this and I often wondered where those rumours get started.

He signed a ENTRY LEVEL CONTRACT which is a TWO WAY CONTRACT and is no guarantee of ice time infact it is no guarantee of even making the NHL club. The player is willing to play in the system and earn ice time. Actually the Justin Schultz contract was also an entry level contract and their GM said there was no guarantee of ice time when ask about Schultz. If all that it took to sign great players was a guarantee of ice time i'm sure Gillis would say what ever it took to sign a player but no GM would ever guarantee this and I often wondered where those rumours get started.

ya Im sure the oilers didn't say to Schultz that he wasn't going to get top pairing mins with #1 pp honors just like this new kid. Pull your head out of your ass man. How do you think Schultz was won then a hot pink bristle board presentation?

Gillis did have interest in getting both mentioned players but failed on both counts. These are players that should be playing for the canucks or wolves but are not for what ever reason you want to call it. lack of desperation or being lazy whatever it is it should be addressed is all i'm saying.

Gillis did have interest in getting both mentioned players but failed on both counts. These are players that should be playing for the canucks or wolves but are not for what ever reason you want to call it. lack of desperation or being lazy whatever it is it should be addressed is all i'm saying.

I just want to make sure that I am getting this story straight: 7 GM's in the NHL asked about Below (so 23 didn't even waste their time)...6 GM's didn't win (including our GMMG)...and he signed in Edmonton where a fellow young countryman plays, and where, for the most part, the bulk of the roster is within roughly the same peer group. Hmmm if this guy is the second coming of Scott Stevens then it sounds like 29 GM's got out GM'd. If in fact he turns out to be simply a decent serviceable NHL defencemen, we've already got a few that can step up...I think we'll survive this latest MAJOR SETBACK. Now please step away from the keyboard and take your calming meds before we have an "incident".

I just want to make sure that I am getting this story straight: 7 GM's in the NHL asked about Below (so 23 didn't even waste their time)...6 GM's didn't win (including our GMMG)...and he signed in Edmonton where a fellow young countryman plays, and where, for the most part, the bulk of the roster is within roughly the same peer group. Hmmm if this guy is the second coming of Scott Stevens then it sounds like 29 GM's got out GM'd. If in fact he turns out to be simply a decent serviceable NHL defencemen, we've already got a few that can step up...I think we'll survive this latest MAJOR SETBACK. Now please step away from the keyboard and take your calming meds before we have an "incident".

7 GM's tried 6 failed. Therefore 6 got out-GM'd. Is that what you're saying?

Seriously a kid has a much better chance at playing on the Oilers than the Canucks with the D-men we have. And he doesn't have to deal with Vancouver 'fans' which is amazingly bad when something goes wrong (even the slighest thing not a young kid choosing an opposition - when it's his decision to begin with!). When something goes right they are great. We looked good back in 2011 and the fans were excited, now every loss is about who is next to leave the team and how we can bring an all-star team while trading our 'scraps'.

Edmonton signing another kid is not going to help them. That's why they're still at the bottom of the league. They need veteran leadership to stabilize the young core or they will continue to be all flash and no structure.

Archived