The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis out GM'd again!

Van bc

I hope you're right because we will have to play them a lot as they improve. Now that we will have to play divisional playoff hockey we will see a lot of those pesky OIlers and they have beat up on us a lot in the last 2 seasons and their still getting better and we are well getting older and slower. lets just add more Mason Raymond and everything will be fine.

I hope you're right because we will have to play them a lot as they improve. Now that we will have to play divisional playoff hockey we will see a lot of those pesky OIlers and they have beat up on us a lot in the last 2 seasons and their still getting better and we are well getting older and slower. lets just add more Mason Raymond and everything will be fine.

You really think that below guy is better than Juice, Hamhuis, Garrisson and Edler?

He probably looks tough in Russia in a league with half the physical play than the NHL. I bet you never saw the guys face, let alone play hockey and you think he's GOD.

I'm sure Gillis sent scout over there and knows much more about him than you. If he was that good he would have put everything on the table. He was just interested because he was a free player (UFA).

The guy probably doesn't speak english at all and that is why he was more interested in playing with a guy like Yakupov.

If he was that good, TSN would have made a monster story on the guy like Brunnstrom. Look how that turned out, imagine this guy.

I wonder why Gillis keeps losing out to other GMs in the league. Its not because other GMs offer ice time that's crazy talk maybe its the same reason player didn't want to play for the islanders. A sad future.

Canucks GM Gillis was 1 of 7 GMs trying to sign KHL Russian defenceman Anton Below. The six-foot-four 220 pound 26 year old defenceman has drawn a lot of NHL attention this season with his punishing defencive play, plus-19, 9 goals, 17 assists in 46 KHL games. Anton Below told reporters he had narrowed his list of NHL teams to 7 and was waiting for the KHL season to end before picking announcing his chosen team. Gillis had Contacted the monster Russian defencemans agent only once back in February while other team GMs had contacted Anton directly. Edmonton Oilers GM had talked to the Russian defenceman numerous times and actually took the time to arrange a conversation between Anton Below and Nail Yakupov which to me doesn't seem like a bunch of effort especially when we are talking about a cheap entry level contract player that is already playing in a PRO hockey league. Entry level contract equals a small safe contract which should be extremely important to a team close to a inflated salary cap. Guess what folks he signed with the Edmonton Oilers not us! I know it must seem like a small deal to most of us but these situations are adding up quickly. I'm getting tired of being out played on the ice now we are constantly getting out GM'd off the ice too.

Think about it. Young kid could choose to go somewhere where he can learn the NHL game while expectations are lower, or, go somewhere and have to learn the NHL with the added preassure of a winning NHL market. I don't think it is any coincidence why young kids are signing with EDM. It's a good place to START their NHL careers.

Why would a young defenceman want to sign with a team that already has an established starting 6 for possibly 4 years. He would have to HEAVILY compete with Tanev and Corrado for a spot on the roster. I'm not surprised he went to a place that needs him and gives him a better chance of not only actually playing, but being an impact player and establishing a name for himself.

Archived