The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis out GM'd again!

Van bc

I never wanted the Ehrhoff signing either but I've found myself wondering if we should have signed him at the $4 mil cap hit afterall.

Like you said though, "The mistake is not replacing his role at all." When your team is on the cusp of being very good that's a move that should have been done that very summer.

And yeah Edler running a PP is very sad.

Can't report from my phone anyways I just like messing with nit.

As for sundin I disagree. To say that the sedins wouldn't have been able to re-sign is a huge assumption that I think most would have a hard time justifying.

As for Hoff, from people I know it was almost entirely about the money and the only way to make him worth it was a long contract to make a smaller cap hit. I don't believe those contract work out much of the time. So no given that he shouldn't have been re-signed. The mistake is not replacing his role at all. Literally this team hasn't had anybodY other than Edler and that's pretty sad.

you know what the oilers did right? Guaranteed him mins on the blue line. Thats something the oilers can do while we cant. He would have to earn his mins from the wolves (or utica) all the way up to the canucks like everyone else. Sadly a lot of todays youth isn't willing to do that (schultz).

What Hoff had, the remaining d-men can do. Garry i hope will be looked to to help with that. Hammer can do that too. Juice, when healthy can also do that. But i think there is no shame in reeling back Eddie for a short time and get him back to a simple game and be encouraged to pick his spots to display offense.

That's exactly what happened. This isn't the 80's Oilers. They have stars but they are not aligning very well.

I'm relieved when Russian players go else where other than Vancouver in today's NHL. They seem fickle and when the going gets tough, most go home in the middle of their contracts leaving their home team scrabbling.

Lets face it, especially with AV's track record with young players they wouldn't get used. Hopefully with AV gone the optics of Vancouver will change for young prospects.

Stating Gillis has been out GM'ed when we don't know the conversation withe had with this kids agent is a statement of speculation. How hard to you know Gillis tried? Maybe there are players Gillis knows about we don't.

I'm becoming less of a Gillis fan but that doesn't mean I don't have faith he will turn things around.

I thought he'd be more fan friendly especially after Burke and Co. That doesn't make a hockey team. In my mind this is his chance at redemption.

Out GM'ed,? I think not.

In 2010-2011, with Ehrhoff, we were #1 in PP (goals and %).

In 2011-2012, without Ehrhoff, PP was #3 in goals, 4th in %... still elite without the Hoff.

Last year, 19th in goals, 22nd in %.

In 2010-2011, we were #1 in faceoffs. 2011-2012, we were #3.

In 2012-2013, we were #25 in faceoffs. Does anyone see a pattern here?

Forget about Hoff (4M cap hit), or Schultz (3.7M cap hit), or Below (TBD), when our D is already highly paid. We need dependable 1-2 faceoff guys who can kill penalties, so that the PK doesn't have to always rest on Kesler's shoulders. Our PP can work with the (guys) D we have. Maybe the new coaches can put a limit on Edler's drop pass.

Either that, or start cloning Manny, fast! (not for PP, obviously, but for what Manny did best)

Canucks GM Gillis was 1 of 7 GMs trying to sign KHL Russian defenceman Anton Below. The six-foot-four 220 pound 26 year old defenceman has drawn a lot of NHL attention this season with his punishing defencive play, plus-19, 9 goals, 17 assists in 46 KHL games. Anton Below told reporters he had narrowed his list of NHL teams to 7 and was waiting for the KHL season to end before picking announcing his chosen team. Gillis had Contacted the monster Russian defencemans agent only once back in February while other team GMs had contacted Anton directly. Edmonton Oilers GM had talked to the Russian defenceman numerous times and actually took the time to arrange a conversation between Anton Below and Nail Yakupov which to me doesn't seem like a bunch of effort especially when we are talking about a cheap entry level contract player that is already playing in a PRO hockey league. Entry level contract equals a small safe contract which should be extremely important to a team close to a inflated salary cap. Guess what folks he signed with the Edmonton Oilers not us! I know it must seem like a small deal to most of us but these situations are adding up quickly. I'm getting tired of being out played on the ice now we are constantly getting out GM'd off the ice too.

bodee you seem to have a hate on for gillis. I dont agree with all of his moves especially the amount of no trade clauses hes handed out. Im happy the clueless coaches are gone lets see what mike gillis does this off season before we cruciffy him.

his trades and signings havent been that bad

kassian for hodgson is to early to tell who won that especially if in 2yrs kassian is a bertuzzi wrecking ball

he needs to get better foot speed and crank people.

garrison signing A grade move hes great dman

hammer signing Bplus move

ballard trade Cminus i believe ballard is much better than his play in van suggests the coach killed his

value and maybe if he stays he will prove me right.

got core to sign at a discount A plus move

booth trade was pretty good B grade now if he gets healthy lets see what he can do.

bodee you seem to have a hate on for gillis. I dont agree with all of his moves especially the amount of no trade clauses hes handed out. Im happy the clueless coaches are gone lets see what mike gillis does this off season before we cruciffy him.

his trades and signings havent been that bad

kassian for hodgson is to early to tell who won that especially if in 2yrs kassian is a bertuzzi wrecking ball

he needs to get better foot speed and crank people.

garrison signing A grade move hes great dman

hammer signing Bplus move

ballard trade Cminus i believe ballard is much better than his play in van suggests the coach killed his

value and maybe if he stays he will prove me right.

got core to sign at a discount A plus move

booth trade was pretty good B grade now if he gets healthy lets see what he can do.

Lets put this to rest now. MG didn't get out GMed on the Dallas Eakins coaching hire.

Quote from this mornings Province: Coaching candidate Dallas Eakins was back in Vancouver this week for his second interview as the Canucks search to replace Alain Vigneault. But he left without an offer, and he wasn’t likely going to get one from the Canucks

:

The last thing I want to hear is some simp telling us MG got out coached. Hell I'm happy he didn't go with the popular uninformed fan consensus.

Instead of critiquing every move Gillis makes I personally am going to keep my moth shut and let his moves play out. That has been the decision by ownership and basically what they are going to do. Wait this whole deal out.

Loosing Eakins to Edmonton isn't being out managed..

Archived