The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis out GM'd again!

Van bc

Canucks GM Gillis was 1 of 7 GMs trying to sign KHL Russian defenceman Anton Below. The six-foot-four 220 pound 26 year old defenceman has drawn a lot of NHL attention this season with his punishing defencive play, plus-19, 9 goals, 17 assists in 46 KHL games. Anton Below told reporters he had narrowed his list of NHL teams to 7 and was waiting for the KHL season to end before picking announcing his chosen team. Gillis had Contacted the monster Russian defencemans agent only once back in February while other team GMs had contacted Anton directly. Edmonton Oilers GM had talked to the Russian defenceman numerous times and actually took the time to arrange a conversation between Anton Below and Nail Yakupov which to me doesn't seem like a bunch of effort especially when we are talking about a cheap entry level contract player that is already playing in a PRO hockey league. Entry level contract equals a small safe contract which should be extremely important to a team close to a inflated salary cap. Guess what folks he signed with the Edmonton Oilers not us! I know it must seem like a small deal to most of us but these situations are adding up quickly. I'm getting tired of being out played on the ice now we are constantly getting out GM'd off the ice too.

Have to love how the so called "first-line" and "all-star" stus guys on here constantly shoot down comments from newer FELLOW fans. You guys come accross as flippant and arrogant as Mike Gillis....your hero.

Mike Gillis is incompetant...period. He is unqualified and has ZERO track record of success or respect around the league. He has done NOTHING for this team since he inherited it and in fact, just the opposite....he has been slowly destroying it. I can list all his screwups but that has been done already several times in several topics.

I swear he is one here writing the responses to people that question his ability.

Now in this example, like it it or not the Canucks showed interest and then dropped the ball. That is bad management....period. They say the coach is responsible for the play on the ice well then surely the GM is RESPONSIBLE for the management off the ice. The buck stops with Gillis.

Fire him already and lets all move on as Canucks fans.

All I want is a Cup before I die and I will NEVER get one with Gillis at the helm.

SO ..we have 4 NTC dmen, and another two under contract and at the very least Tanev is an RFA who will be signed to stay with us and so you want this KHL kid on an entry level deal for why?

Defense and goaltending is not our issue. Gillis took a quick shot without expending too much because not only do we not need him, we dont have a russian superstar to drop by his rink in Russia and say hi.

No offense, but if I were a young defenseman being looked at from 7 teams, one being Edmonton, I'd take them too. You will at least get a few games in with them, because their defense sucks. And because you will be playing with top offensive players like Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and Hemsky, you are bound to pad your stats, making your next contract that much better.

Have to love how the so called "first-line" and "all-star" stus guys on here constantly shoot down comments from newer FELLOW fans. You guys come accross as flippant and arrogant as Mike Gillis....your hero.

Mike Gillis is a incompetant...period. He is unqualified and has ZERO track record of success or respect around the league. He has done NOTHING for this team since he inherited it and in fact, just the opposite....he has been slowly destroying it. I can list all his screwups but that has been done already several times in several topics.

I swear he is one here writing the responses to people that question his ability.

Now in this example, like it it or not the Canucks showed interest and then dropped the ball. That is bad management....period. They say the coach is responsible for the play on the ice well then surely the GM is RESPONSIBLE for the management off the ice. The buck stops with Gillis.

All I want is a Cup before I die and I will NEVER get one with Gillis at the helm.

Youre right! it amazes me how many fans quickly jump to his defence and expect no explanation for his fumbles. This topic is about 2 of his many mistakes and I for one would like him to try harder to improve this teams( canucks and wolves). youth is our future lets expand our sites

Youre right! it amazes me how many fans quickly jump to his defence and expect no explanation for his fumbles. This topic is about 2 of his many mistakes and I for one would like him to try harder to improve this teams( canucks and wolves). youth is our future lets expand our sites

Stupidity quota for the day ... CHECK

Now someone start an Edler thread and we're good to go.

I love how guys are bashing Gillis on here and then they show they know nothing about basic hockey and team structure. Our defence is logjammed and they're worried because we didn't sign some punk ass Ruskie that's going to amount to nothing.

There is a reason this guy is 26 and no one has ever heard of him. A far cry from playing college hockey and then all of the sudden being draft eligble at 22.

Mike Gillis is incompetant...period. He is unqualified and has ZERO track record of success or respect around the league. He has done NOTHING for this team since he inherited it and in fact, just the opposite....he has been slowly destroying it. I can list all his screwups but that has been done already several times in several topics.

7 Teams vying for 1 player from the KHL and a larger ice surface...Canucks don't land him, must be GIlli's fault. 5 major NCAA players available, Canucks running for Ondrej...he goes to Tampa, 29 other teams failed miserably. Canucks 1 of 3 teams Schultz wanted into...went with Edmonton. You blame this all directly on Gillis with NO other possible reason which is just foolis. Ice time, countrymen, youth, and most importantly for these kids...fans EXPECTATIONS. Gillis didn't get out GM'd, he was one of 7 finalists who lost out on an untested kid, who if you look even at the league minimum we couldn't have afforded to sign anyways until we move some cap around. Gillis isn't the greatest GM, he does silly things we get it. But come on man, you can actually point out real reasons why he's not the guy people prop him up to be without resorting to threads making it look like it was a Lindros situation that Gillis pulled

Just because a player didn't choose us doesn't mean it's a mistake.

The thing about Russians is they stick together, we haven't had a Russian here since Bure. We had no chance signing this guy, move on.

MG has had many mistakes, he's done some good things too, he hasn't yet put his stamp on this team, he should be given that chance. If he doesn't do it this year, he needs to be fired.

Agreed, just because we don't sign a guy we couldn't afford at the league minimum on a 2 way contract apparently it's the end of the world. I forgot, which teams fans are we again? Canucks or Leafs....because out of all my hockey loving friends this sound more like a rabid Leafs fan rant than a concerned Canucks fans post. Also added, we did have Artem Chubarov for a while from USSR/Russia

7 GM's tried 6 failed. Therefore 6 got out-GM'd. Is that what you're saying?

Seriously a kid has a much better chance at playing on the Oilers than the Canucks with the D-men we have. And he doesn't have to deal with Vancouver 'fans' which is amazingly bad when something goes wrong (even the slighest thing not a young kid choosing an opposition - when it's his decision to begin with!). When something goes right they are great. We looked good back in 2011 and the fans were excited, now every loss is about who is next to leave the team and how we can bring an all-star team while trading our 'scraps'.

Archived