256 replies to this topic

#121 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

CDC perpetuated myth without any evidence in reality.
Like Coach Crawford said many times on TEAM 1040 when he had that slot at five pm each day when the COHO fiasco occurred: Every player asks about his role and wants an increased role.
Why that is difficult to understand or accept is a mystery to CDC.
The real tragedy and ugly part was how the Canucks brain mistrust shipped Coho without getting a proper asset in return.
Shipping without shopping is a GM no-no,which brings us to the Luo fiasco that followed where he shopped without shipping.
Really not GM material .

From all the material ive read...rookies pulling that with management tend to lose favour in the organization.

Apparently its always been that way. If CoHo indeed want more minutes, then he should have known better.

I didnt hear of Kass asking for more minutes and the such. He took any role that was given to him. Whether the fans agree about his deployment or disagree.

2sa1qgh.jpg

The Canucks Playoff preparation

#122 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

He signed a ENTRY LEVEL CONTRACT which is a TWO WAY CONTRACT and is no guarantee of ice time infact it is no guarantee of even making the NHL club. The player is willing to play in the system and earn ice time. Actually the Justin Schultz contract was also an entry level contract and their GM said there was no guarantee of ice time when ask about Schultz. If all that it took to sign great players was a guarantee of ice time i'm sure Gillis would say what ever it took to sign a player but no GM would ever guarantee this and I often wondered where those rumours get started.

He had to sign an ELC, so I am not sure how you are using it as logic to say that he wasn't told he would get ice time.

Schultz said that he chose Edmonton because he could play a meaningful role right away... he knew he was making the club.

I think the fact that we are in the mix for many of these players shows MG is doing a fine job. Many guys have said they narrowed their choices down to 2 or 3 and we were one of them. You can't get every player.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#123 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

Maybe Schultz knows how crazy or bandwagon the fans here are and doesn't want to deal with it. Look at Edler, if he reads the paper or CDC lol i doubt he'd be sad being traded. Even Booth probably is pissed and wants to be back in Florida, Canuck fans feel too entitled and think players don't have feelings.

Except for Lu who has his most loyal and dedicated fan Apollo in his corner

Edited by Gonz, 05 June 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#124 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

So lets get this straight.

You're mad that Gillis didn't get enough for Hodgson and should have shopped more. But you're also mad that Gillis wanted more for Luongo and did shop more.

Gotcha.

No,you did not get much.
I was told by other GMs on that television thingy that Gillis never approached a variety of clubs to see if they would be interested in CoHo.Shipped him without shopping him.
Then there was the Luongo fiasco,saga,mess and mind **** that has lasted more than entire season.That is shopping without shipping.
These sagas are years old now.Time to catch on and when you do send Gillis the memo.
:bored:

#125 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 19,156 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

Posted Image

#126 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

you know what the oilers did right? Guaranteed him mins on the blue line. Thats something the oilers can do while we cant. He would have to earn his mins from the wolves (or utica) all the way up to the canucks like everyone else. Sadly a lot of todays youth isn't willing to do that (schultz).

whats wrong with telling someone somthing they want to hear? its not like it gets put in the contract.... coaches make the decisions on who plays and how much... why couldnt gillis just say "sure I see you as a top 4 D man on our team" say anything to get them to sign the contract and be on our team instead of our competition.... players want to go to a team where they feel they are wanted. be it money offer or anything else.. gillis just sucks as a gm. As a former agent he should know you say anything to make the player feel like he would be best off with you..

#127 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

MG is being payed well to do his job and I'm sure he wants to keep it... There is no f'in way we didn't get those two players because MG "didn't try hard enough" or was "lazy". In fact its much more likely that what other people in this thread are saying is true, because the Oilers have a MUCH weaker team these young kids are guaranteed minutes on the big club, which is something we can't say/do. No young player wants to sign a deal here and get payed AHL dollars when they can sign with the bottom dwelling Oilers and make twice or three times the amount of money while playing in the NHL...

Like I've told many already and if you read this post you'd know that I've already link the interview that Oilers gm said he would never guarantee ice time to any player despite what the media say. He out worked Gillis to get both players and that's the real issue here. Do you think the gm actually determines how much ice time a player gets or what line or powerplay unit he is on? I'm thinking that's 100% the coaches decision buddy not the gm.

#128 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,486 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:10 AM

whats wrong with telling someone somthing they want to hear? its not like it gets put in the contract.... coaches make the decisions on who plays and how much... why couldnt gillis just say "sure I see you as a top 4 D man on our team" say anything to get them to sign the contract and be on our team instead of our competition.... players want to go to a team where they feel they are wanted. be it money offer or anything else.. gillis just sucks as a gm. As a former agent he should know you say anything to make the player feel like he would be best off with you..

so lie to the kid? Ya that will make us win a tonne more ufa bids. Who wouldn't want to sign with a bunch of false promises.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#129 Van bc

Van bc

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:29 AM

so lie to the kid? Ya that will make us win a tonne more ufa bids. Who wouldn't want to sign with a bunch of false promises.

Do really believe a GM promises ice time,powerplay minutes and top pairing to any player he signs especially to entry level contract two way contract players? these players both signed entry level two way contracts which mean that if they don't MAKE the big club they get to try to make the farm club. If it was some kind of guarantee of making the big club why would they sign a two way contract? Oilers GM also said he would like ever other GM in the league never guarantee a rookie ice time despite what the media says.

#130 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

We've got Tanev and Corrado already, while this guy would be nice, we've got enough young guys on our blueline. MG needs to find a calming, veteran grey-beard to solidify our top-6 because they haven't been the same since Salo left, and quite frankly adding a new young kid into the mix who barely speaks English wouldn't help an already-nervous defence core.
Posted Image

#131 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

And yet...Gillis brought in the last good PP QB this team had.

yawn

Still not with the program ? Gillis had done nothing since bringing in 52 year old Sundin like 5 years ago when he became GM. After that he fired AV when his back was completely against the wall, he has done nothing any other mediocre GM could do for this organization. ;)

#132 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

whats wrong with telling someone somthing they want to hear? its not like it gets put in the contract....

Usually, because people tend to think of you as a liar when you do this sort of thing.

Like I've told many already and if you read this post you'd know that I've already link the interview that Oilers gm said he would never guarantee ice time to any player despite what the media say. He out worked Gillis to get both players and that's the real issue here. Do you think the gm actually determines how much ice time a player gets or what line or powerplay unit he is on? I'm thinking that's 100% the coaches decision buddy not the gm.

The Oilers' GM said those things? Which Oilers' GM are you talking about? The guy who got fired just a while ago after his stellar job of bringing the Oilers the last three #1 pick overall in the entry draft (Tambellini)? Or was this signing something that MacTavish cobbled together in his spare time since he was signed in the middle of April?

I'm just curious, what do you believe Gillis could have done "better" which would have improved the Canucks' chances of landing this player? Or to put it another way, what did the Oilers' GM (the one who was recently fired, or the new one) do to "out-work" Gillis? You must have some idea...

Do really believe a GM promises ice time,powerplay minutes and top pairing to any player he signs especially to entry level contract two way contract players? these players both signed entry level two way contracts which mean that if they don't MAKE the big club they get to try to make the farm club. If it was some kind of guarantee of making the big club why would they sign a two way contract? Oilers GM also said he would like ever other GM in the league never guarantee a rookie ice time despite what the media says.

Do you really believe that a GM has no say on the team that gets iced?

Also, if a player signs a two-way deal it merely means that he gets paid less if he goes to the minors, doesn't it? If a player signs a one-way deal, it means he gets his NHL salary if he goes to the minors. It's an incentive for the player to play better at the NHL level. You appear to be suggesting that if he was signed to a one-way deal then this would be some sort of guarantee that he would be playing with the NHL team. It is a carrot offered by the team, kind of like NTC clauses.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#133 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

CDC perpetuated myth without any evidence in reality.
Like Coach Crawford said many times on TEAM 1040 when he had that slot at five pm each day when the COHO fiasco occurred: Every player asks about his role and wants an increased role.
Why that is difficult to understand or accept is a mystery to CDC.
The real tragedy and ugly part was how the Canucks brain mistrust shipped Coho without getting a proper asset in return.
Shipping without shopping is a GM no-no,which brings us to the Luo fiasco that followed where he shopped without shipping.
Really not GM material .

Incorrect
Posted Image
Posted Image

#134 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

Garrison is not a PP QB. Sorry,bud,that guy was Brian as in Campbell.
Garrison and Hamhuis came home to play.
All Gillis had to do was sign them ,not get them or trade for them.

That's why Weber and Benn signed here...oh wait.

Gillis got Hammer and Garrison. They wanted to play here sure but you're not foolish enough to believe that all he had to do was sign them are you. Someone with your experience in life is surely brighter than that.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#135 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Still not with the program ? Gillis had done nothing since bringing in 52 year old Sundin like 5 years ago when he became GM. After that he fired AV when his back was completely against the wall, he has done nothing any other mediocre GM could do for this organization. ;)

Congrats...it takes talent to write something this dumb. Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken in which case my sarcastic back handed congrats becomes a real one. ;)

Gillis has done plenty actually. Some good and some bad and he's done a good job. Even looking at this team in the last two disappointing years it's a better team than it was when he took over. Bringing in a Vet like Sundin was in their own words something very important for the Sedins development. Like it or not because I know a lot of people here are still in boo hoo mode Gillis has done a lot for this team. Has he done enough? Not yet but as the post you quoted said imo the biggest mistake he's made is not replacing Ehrhoff. Had he signed him to a 10 year deal he would have deserved to be fired but when letting a player like that go you can't just expect somebody to step up into that role.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 06 June 2013 - 07:35 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#136 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

We need a new skipper darn it, to keep this ship afloat.

A man like Zippy.

Posted Image

#137 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Garrison is not a PP QB. Sorry,bud,that guy was Brian as in Campbell.
Garrison and Hamhuis came home to play.
All Gillis had to do was sign them ,not get them or trade for them.

Oh dear .. more "nit" picking? .. those who never try anything seldom fail .. you would make a good government employee "nit" .. I suggest you take up "knitting" and use a pic of Maudie Fricker as your profile .. you could then be free to "knit pick" all day long ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#138 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

Buddy,this is a Canucks forum where hockey opinions are expressed.
Instead of focusing on your gripes with govt employees and your love of knitting I suggest you learn and talk about hockey.
What the hell are you doing here?

Edited by nuck nit, 06 June 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#139 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Buddy,it is a forum where opinions are expressed.What the hell are you doing here?

Also funny coming from a guy who tells people who don't agree with him that he's tired of them and they should go do something else.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#140 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Also funny coming from a guy who tells people who don't agree with him that he's tired of them and they should go do something else.

Which is why you remain on ignore,Employee.Personal attacks on me or anybody else is not tolerated.
It is a hockey forum.Enjoy your summer.

#141 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Buddy,this is a Canucks forum where hockey opinions are expressed.
Instead of focusing on your gripes with govt employees and your love of knitting I suggest you learn and talk about hockey.
What the hell are you doing here?

I am at work, earning $100,00.00 per annum from the Government of BC, but I am bored, "knit" .. your wit and prose-like presentations keep drawing me back .. please refrain from posting so I can get back to "work" .. B)

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#142 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

I am at work, earning $100,00.00 per annum from the Government of BC, but I am bored, "knit" .. your wit and prose-like presentations keep drawing me back .. please refrain from posting so I can get back to "work" .. B)

How about posting up something about hockey instead of your boring,overpaid life?

#143 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

How about posting up something about hockey instead of your boring,overpaid life?

Once I can get past your rhetoric and utter lack of a sense of humor, I shall do just that .. BTW, the PP QB EOTM seemed to be referencing was "Errorhoff", not Garrison .. negativity clouds many a brilliant mind ..

#144 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 19,363 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

As stated by Goose, lying to your employees is not a good template to follow. Never mind that you completely insult the kid's (or Schultz's) intelligence. Pretty sure they can look at the roster and see they'd have to get through Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Tanev, Alberts and Corrado to have any shot at ice time with the big club.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#145 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Which is why you remain on ignore,Employee.Personal attacks on me or anybody else is not tolerated.
It is a hockey forum.Enjoy your summer.

It's amazing gow many times you've told me I am on your ignore list :D

Also there have been zero personal attacks sent your way by me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#146 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

personal attack has been reported. :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

#147 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Congrats...it takes talent to write something this dumb. Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken in which case my sarcastic back handed congrats becomes a real one. ;)

Gillis has done plenty actually. Some good and some bad and he's done a good job. Even looking at this team in the last two disappointing years it's a better team than it was when he took over. Bringing in a Vet like Sundin was in their own words something very important for the Sedins development. Like it or not because I know a lot of people here are still in boo hoo mode Gillis has done a lot for this team. Has he done enough? Not yet but as the post you quoted said imo the biggest mistake he's made is not replacing Ehrhoff. Had he signed him to a 10 year deal he would have deserved to be fired but when letting a player like that go you can't just expect somebody to step up into that role.

While I agree with most parts, MG was EXTREMELY lucky that Sundin was the one that changed the deal to a 1 year. MG offered him 2 years at 20, which would have crippled the franchise and most likely would have resulted in the Sedins not returning the following season due to no cap space

Also, not signing Ehrhoff was a HUGE mistake. While we nickel and dimed him (most people I talk to in the press think Ehrhoff would have taken less than Buffalo money to stay), MG essentially let him leave and instead tied 4.2m in capspace on Ballard who couldnt even dress for the games...

I am an MG fan but what you wrote was plainly wrong...

#148 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

As for the personal attacks and reporting this and that...let's all just grow up. ::D

#149 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,923 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

Posted Image

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#150 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

As for the personal attacks and reporting this and that...let's all just grow up. ::D

Can't report from my phone anyways I just like messing with nit.

As for sundin I disagree. To say that the sedins wouldn't have been able to re-sign is a huge assumption that I think most would have a hard time justifying.
As for Hoff, from people I know it was almost entirely about the money and the only way to make him worth it was a long contract to make a smaller cap hit. I don't believe those contract work out much of the time. So no given that he shouldn't have been re-signed. The mistake is not replacing his role at all. Literally this team hasn't had anybodY other than Edler and that's pretty sad.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.