The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks sign UFA D Christian Folin to 2 yr ELC

Not really looking to fight about this, I just have a different view.

Size does matter. Yes, there are "small" guys who can succeed in the NHL. This being said, more often than not these smaller players are successful because they have a big guy to create some space. Gretzky had has Semenko, or McSorely to watch his back. Bure had Odjick. There are those who suggest that the Sedins would be better with a similar type of physical player on their line.

So, is it the small guy with talent who wins the game, or is it the big guy who gives him room to skate?

regards,

G.

Yea none of them are close so you answered your own question, he is a superstar, superstars are very difficult to replace. That is like saying "oh yea who is going to replace Gretzky?" They could draft someone this year to become a stud their history is capable of doing that.

Why is it an either or? And was Chara a bad pick because he's 6' 9"?

If you had a chance to draft a guy like Nugent-Hopkins then most guys would take him. If you had the choice of drafting a guy like Mario Lemieux, I suspect we'd all take him as well.

If the choice was one or the other, who would you take? Put aside that Lemieux had a lengthy career in the NHL and RNH is just starting out. Your choice is RNH or the 18 year old Lemieux. I know who I'd pick.

regards,

G.

I never said that putting them both together can't happen, of course that is ideal but in terms of a 6'0 skilled guy, or a larger guy who can't skate or score, I feel the skill triumphs because wins are counted by goals, not knockouts

Hodgon/Kassian & Corrado (if you are throwing in Tatar) A case could also be made for Grabner since he was an 06 pick and was developed mostly in our organization.

Anyways most of the players here aren't in the Gillis era.

Lets get down to the obvious, in that size when used properly is about creating match up advantages.

Tell me who would be capable of knocking Lucic, Horton or Jagr off the puck or from in front of the net? There are not many guys. One is named Zdeno Chara.

Can anyone else see where we are going with this?

Back to Detroit. I've argued for years their development is not as great as its cracked up to be. Scouting, sure; Datsyuk, Franzen and the list goes on for years... Who on their team has actually played a year or more on their farm club; just Howard I think?

Cool. :)

Is having size in Bertuzzi, or Franzen, or Abdelkader a bad thing? You don't have to drop the gloves or even cheap-shot the other guy, but a good, clean body check can change a game. If you have little skaters with some talent, and the other guy has bigger skaters with some talent, chances are you are going to lose.

regards,

G.

Hodgson was not overshadowed by Eberle. Eberle was the finisher and also had the speed. Hodgson the guy who's vision and puck control dictated where plays were heading. It made for a pretty good line (I watched their game against Schroeder and the USA in Ottawa). It was definitely Hodgson who made things tick.

The reason Hodgson slipped is for all his skills, he is not the athlete some of his peers are. It puts him at a disadvantage to keep up. He is just not as fast!

Corrado doesn't really count as 'drafting' but it is scouting and I'm not sure if Gillis really has that much time looking at a college player, though I'm sure he's heard about the player through the grapevine.

Hodgson was a decent pick but it was a pretty obvious one too - he was good at the WJC - not sure why he slipped though. Maybe he was overshadowed by Eberle (I think).

Kassian's development was hindered with AV dicking around.

Grabner? One could argue that he has his cold streaks but everyone knew that he was a streaky player.

I know people say the 1st + Grabner was a decent trade for Ballard, but it was seemed overkill for a defenceman that FLA didn't really want to keep to begin with (they wanted to liquidate his salary off the books). I like Ballard though, more and more, though and I hope that Gillis decides to keep him under a coach that can properly use him.

If Ballard goes the buyout route, that could made the trade way more lopsided than it already is. Even if FLA flubbed on Grabner, they STILL got a 1st rounder for a defenceman that they didn't want.

If this news turns out to be true... imagine what it would be like for the Canucks future if this kid turns-out to be a Mattias Ohlund type....& his brother a Tyler Myers! The Canucks could have an in to sign 'em both - maybe? Sure - it's totally wishful thinkin'...but having these boys under your wing to watch & tutor & see if they can develop as late-bloomers is worth the small investment. They will be watched carefully to see if they demonstrate the smarts to evolve as they play each game. This signing has the potential along with the development of Tanev & Corrado....to be the solution to the missing right-shootin' D-men & size factor, that's apparently become this team's Achilles heel... & a fix for the decade to come.

"Christian's got the full package - size, speed, great puck handling, great shot…probably the best shot on our team. He can really let it fly…defensive positioning, likes to use the body. He's just the whole package."

Quote: "On of the things that's most exciting about him is his humbleness. He always shows up ready to work. He's quiet and goes about his business. It's really helped even some of the other guys to grow and mature just to be able to watch him and see how he prepares and takes care of his body and see the success he's having because of it. He's had a quiet impact on our team, but it's been significant. He's definitely a leader on this team without being boisterous," said Jason Lammers, assistant coach of the River Hawks. "The best part about him is that he's an awesome person. As good of a hockey player as he is, he's a better person and those are the types of players you want on your team. He's going to be successful in whatever he does."

Archived