The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Dallas Eakins signs with Edmonton

Noticing a pattern of eastern media (ie. our media) blabbering about Canucks getting this, Canucks getting that, and then the asset goes elsewhere. This has been going on for quite awhile.

Not once did Eakins look like the right choice for this team, yet 'blah blah blah our saviour from TO' talk is what we're spoonfed. And our most ignorant fans follow suit like the puppets they are.

imho This pattern must stop. And it stops when our media isn't directly controlled by TO.

In Chicago/LA 2nd int Elliot was saying Eakins wanted to coach a young team, saying Colorado and Edmonton were his preferences am that he didn't really want to coach a veteran squad.

Take it for what its worth, but sounds like the Canucks weren't on his short list to begin with.

You know, Elliott might be the smartest-sounding guy on that cbc panel, but it's relative. I've heard him say many an idiotic thing, but because he's surrounded by even bigger idiots, nobody calls him out.

Off-topic, but Elliott is no Bobby Mac. Not even close. (And even he likes to troll the Canucks now and then)

I don't trust anyone from TO when it comes to chatter about our team.

Personally I think Eakins would be a perfect Associate coach to work with guys like Kassian but I don't see how he could motivate the core players like the Sedins and Kesler etc.

Honestly I'd like Stevens as head coach. And those saying Gillis lost out again I like the fact he is interviewing a bunch of candidates and the fact remains the guys he is interviewing are looking for jobs so it should come as no surprise when one of them takes a job with a different team.

Calm down folks - save the whole "The sky is falling" scenario until there's a reason to panic - which I would agree is if we end up settling for Scott Arniel lol

1. Consider the possibility that the Canucks took a pass on Eakins. Just because they interviewed him, that doesn't mean that they tried to sign him - maybe they realized that Eakins wasn't the best fit for the Canucks.

2. For everyone saying that now Edmonton will win the cup, etc. etc., let's see how his first few NHL games go first. Edmonton is cycling through coaches pretty fast, so there's no guarantee that Eakins will be any different.

Do you guys know what happened behind closed doors? What if Eakins interviewed with all of those teams and the decision was left with him? Can you guys read minds? Let's not throw the blame at Gillis without actually knowing all the facts and what was said behind closed doors....

I am not overly disappointed with this, no disrespect to Eakins but I think he is the type of guy that better suits a team like Edmonton that has tons of youth that are willing to learn (to be fair krueger had them playing an awful system)

This is why I think a guy like Ruff would be an ideal fit as he is a veteran coach who would get the respect of the players (not that Eakins or a young guy wouldnt) and he would be able to seemlessly come in and help the team improve / change around the play style. Torts is a guy I think they should at least interview to see if he would consider toning down how he is in regards to the media but he is a guy that could spark some of our offensive players. I know everyone points to NYR but I thought he did an admirable job there & to be fair even a loaded Pittsburgh team got completely shutdown and swept by them so its not like he lost to a team that really they should have beat. I thought he was pretty good during his time in Tampa but for the most part was saddled with crappy goaltending post stanley cup.

Archived