The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Just Need Some Advice

Alex the Great

So I've been accepted to SFU and Langara. Most people would say "It should be easy, pick SFU" but I just can't commit to either school and I have 2 days to decide.

The only reason I can't commit to SFU is because honestly, I'm scared that I'm not smart enough.

I applied for the Bachelor of Arts (General) program to both schools. I wish to become a Sports writer or analyst.

So, any advice on what to do or personal preferences on schools?

So I've been accepted to SFU and Langara. Most people would say "It should be easy, pick SFU" but I just can't commit to either school and I have 2 days to decide.

The only reason I can't commit to SFU is because honestly, I'm scared that I'm not smart enough.

I applied for the Bachelor of Arts program to both schools. I wish to become a Sports writer or analyst.

There's no shame in Langara.

If you're doing Bachelor of Arts, it's much cheaper to do the transfer programs after 1 or 2 years, especially when their courses are almost guaranteed to transfer properly.

It's much smarter, IMHO.

From my brief time there, I thought the instructors were much more relaxed and because it's college, they have much smaller classroom sizes. You'll meet people too - much more personal.

I applied for the Bachelor of Arts program to both schools. I wish to become a Sports writer or analyst.

I went to Camosun College in Victoria before going to UVIC, because I would have flunked out of UVIC really quick back in the day. I knew I wasn't ready and wanted a slower, easier pace.

However, there are a lot of students at UVIC who definitely don't SEEM ready, yet seem to do fine.

But like I said, I started at Camosun, I've dropped out twice, and yet just this summer I was accepted to literally every MA program I applied for, including a top school in America, a top school in England, and the local ones too.

Honestly, there is no right or wrong answer. Take your chance with SFU, and if it doesn't work, drop out and go to Langara the next semester. No problem! Or, like Dazzle the adulterer said, start with Langara because it's cheaper and transfer programs are a good way to ease yourself in.

I got my B.A. from SFU.. don't have many good things to say about the place, but its definitely not filled with geniuses if thats your perception. There are many stupid people that go to SFU, don't fool yourself. If you have a clear goal, and you know doing a specific program will lead you there then go the SFU route. If you're unsure of yourself and think you may change paths, start at Langara and take the time to explore your options a little more. I wish I took a year off between highschool/university to find myself and/or what I wanted in a career.

Good Luck.. post secondary is a seemingly never ending journey for me. I'm at BCIT now studying accounting.. totally unrelated to my psychology degree lol

Is cost a concern for you?

At Langara, you'll get a much better reference from the instructor (assuming you actually work hard) since they know you better. A semester there that's too easy is a significantly cheaper mistake than flunking out of SFU because you weren't ready.

I applied for the Bachelor of Arts (General) program to both schools. I wish to become a Sports writer or analyst.

Is cost a concern for you?

At Langara, you'll get a much better reference from the instructor (assuming you actually work hard) since they know you better. A semester there that's too easy is a significantly cheaper mistake than flunking out of SFU because you weren't ready.

You got in, you are good enough, you are smart enough and will succeed but you have to push and believe it.

Don't ever let anyone tell you different and especially yourself. We all have self doubt in our lives, but how we gain confidence is by ignoring it, working hard and then succeeding.

The only way you'll achieve your goals is to push yourself.

Congratulations, You are good enough to get in, so the school thinks you're smart enough to succeed, you should too!

Go to SFU!

Archived