25 replies to this topic

#1 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

So I've been accepted to SFU and Langara. Most people would say "It should be easy, pick SFU" but I just can't commit to either school and I have 2 days to decide.

The only reason I can't commit to SFU is because honestly, I'm scared that I'm not smart enough.

I applied for the Bachelor of Arts (General) program to both schools. I wish to become a Sports writer or analyst.

So, any advice on what to do or personal preferences on schools?

Edited by Mattias Íhlund, 09 June 2013 - 10:54 PM.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#2 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

POPULAR

So I've been accepted to SFU and Langara. Most people would say "It should be easy, pick SFU" but I just can't commit to either school and I have 2 days to decide.

The only reason I can't commit to SFU is because honestly, I'm scared that I'm not smart enough.

I applied for the Bachelor of Arts program to both schools. I wish to become a Sports writer or analyst.

Never think that way about yourself. You clearly want to go to that school. You need to have faith in yourself. Follow your heart and go to the school you want.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,070 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

There's no shame in Langara.

If you're doing Bachelor of Arts, it's much cheaper to do the transfer programs after 1 or 2 years, especially when their courses are almost guaranteed to transfer properly.

It's much smarter, IMHO.

From my brief time there, I thought the instructors were much more relaxed and because it's college, they have much smaller classroom sizes. You'll meet people too - much more personal.

Edited by Dazzle, 09 June 2013 - 10:35 PM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#4 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

I applied for the Bachelor of Arts program to both schools. I wish to become a Sports writer or analyst.

I might need to locate, and bus uppercut you. Don't ever doubt yourself my man. It's not a matter about being smart enough (cause I know I'm sure as hell not the brightest kid on the block). It's about working your ass off, asking the profs for help, reading on a constant basis, being proactive, and really really superly applying yourself. SFU is not much harder than Langara is (I've actually been getting better grades at SFU)

Have you been accepted to the Communications program at SFU? Or the Journalism program at Langara? Or simply Arts?

Posted Image

#5 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Need more specifics on your program, i.e. if you have been accepted into a specific faculty at each institution.

i was in SFU Communications, but there are not many practical classes. pm me if you want and ill tell you more about the program.
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#6 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

I went to Camosun College in Victoria before going to UVIC, because I would have flunked out of UVIC really quick back in the day. I knew I wasn't ready and wanted a slower, easier pace.

However, there are a lot of students at UVIC who definitely don't SEEM ready, yet seem to do fine.

But like I said, I started at Camosun, I've dropped out twice, and yet just this summer I was accepted to literally every MA program I applied for, including a top school in America, a top school in England, and the local ones too.

Honestly, there is no right or wrong answer. Take your chance with SFU, and if it doesn't work, drop out and go to Langara the next semester. No problem! Or, like Dazzle the adulterer said, start with Langara because it's cheaper and transfer programs are a good way to ease yourself in.

212e8lw.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#7 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

Ah sorry, I've been accepted to Bachelor of Arts General

105uyog.jpg

#8 j3ff

j3ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

I got my B.A. from SFU.. don't have many good things to say about the place, but its definitely not filled with geniuses if thats your perception. There are many stupid people that go to SFU, don't fool yourself. If you have a clear goal, and you know doing a specific program will lead you there then go the SFU route. If you're unsure of yourself and think you may change paths, start at Langara and take the time to explore your options a little more. I wish I took a year off between highschool/university to find myself and/or what I wanted in a career.
Good Luck.. post secondary is a seemingly never ending journey for me. I'm at BCIT now studying accounting.. totally unrelated to my psychology degree lol

#9 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

Is cost a concern for you?

At Langara, you'll get a much better reference from the instructor (assuming you actually work hard) since they know you better. A semester there that's too easy is a significantly cheaper mistake than flunking out of SFU because you weren't ready.

TRad-N.gif

#10 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,211 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

I applied for the Bachelor of Arts (General) program to both schools. I wish to become a Sports writer or analyst.

Personally I can't say which school is better. But I can say, don't ever doubt yourself. If you work hard enough and you want it enough, you can easily get by at SFU. Thousands of students every year do it, it's not like you're becoming a rocket scientist. How do you expect to get anything done in life if you doubt yourself? I'm learning this the hard way, better to do what you really want rather than settle for less just because you don't think you can do it.

Don't ever make excuses to not do what you really want just because it may be more challenging. If you're motivated it'll be much easier to overcome these.

Both schools offer different advantages and disadvantages. Make the decision based on these. Worry about what the school can offer YOU, not whether you can get by or not.

Edited by etsen3, 09 June 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#11 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

You got in, you are good enough, you are smart enough and will succeed but you have to push and believe it.

Don't ever let anyone tell you different and especially yourself. We all have self doubt in our lives, but how we gain confidence is by ignoring it, working hard and then succeeding.

The only way you'll achieve your goals is to push yourself.

Congratulations, You are good enough to get in, so the school thinks you're smart enough to succeed, you should too!

Go to SFU!

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 09 June 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#12 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

Is cost a concern for you?

At Langara, you'll get a much better reference from the instructor (assuming you actually work hard) since they know you better. A semester there that's too easy is a significantly cheaper mistake than flunking out of SFU because you weren't ready.

Cost is not a concern.

Thank you everyone. It means alot. :)

Edited by Mattias Íhlund, 10 June 2013 - 01:31 AM.

105uyog.jpg

#13 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

I've decided to go to Langara, I think I need a bit more time before attending a university.

105uyog.jpg

#14 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

If you think you're not smart enough, you're probably right.Too many go around with a distorted self image instilled in them from the start. Good for you for being realistic.

#15 HTania

HTania

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

You got in, you are good enough, you are smart enough and will succeed but you have to push and believe it.

Don't ever let anyone tell you different and especially yourself. We all have self doubt in our lives, but how we gain confidence is by ignoring it, working hard and then succeeding.

The only way you'll achieve your goals is to push yourself.

Congratulations, You are good enough to get in, so the school thinks you're smart enough to succeed, you should too!

Go to SFU!

Totally agree.

#16 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

If you think you're not smart enough, you're probably right.Too many go around with a distorted self image instilled in them from the start. Good for you for being realistic.

And too many go around with low self-esteem as well. I don't know how college admissions work in Canada, and I've never heard of either one of these schools, but as far as I'm concerned, if he got in, then he deserves to be there. If a professional admissions officer decided that he would be a good fit for the school, then I trust that more than the anxious mind of an eighteen year old.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#17 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

Everyone has their own strength's and weaknesses. I don't think students have varying difference in intelligence, they just excel at different things than you while you excel at things they don't.

I was a C+ student in high school. I had no interest in this grade 12 math or poetry garbage. A/B student in university taking courses I actually care about. Kids in high school that were good at math and poetry weren't smarter than me, they enjoyed doing that more than me therefore put in more effort. It had nothing to do with being smarter.
Posted Image

#18 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

Might be of some interest to you TC:

http://en.wikipedia....postor_syndrome

Good luck at Langara. Do your best and you will be awesome, effort goes a long way in determining undergraduate grades IMO.
Posted Image

#19 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

I've decided to go to Langara, I think I need a bit more time before attending a university.

I really feel there is very little of a distinction between the two. (I did a year at Langara before going to SFU). It really is about how hard you try, and I know you will because this obviously seems important to you.
All the best to ya at Langara though.

Posted Image

#20 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

If a professional admissions officer decided that he would be a good fit for the school, then I trust that more than the anxious mind of an eighteen year old.

I can't comment on the intelligence of the OP as I know nothing about him but I have to disagree with this statement. Universities don't care whether the students they accept are prepared or well suited for school, they care about money. I don't have the exact numbers but I think a pretty high percentage of students drop out after first year. They no longer even have province-wide standardized testing (except for English), and they are constantly increasing intake for higher profits.

Hell, I got accepted into a program with a high admission standard, got scholarships and scored high enough on AP exams that I got to skip a few first year courses but I ended up having to drop out. Success in high school doesn't always translate into success in university. On the other hand, some of my high school classmates who couldn't even get into university right away and had to go to a college for the first couple years ended up transferring and graduating with engineering degrees.

Again OP, this post was not meant to slight you in any way or suggest that you can't make it in university. I'm sure that if you picked a program you're truly interested in and you work hard you'll do just fine.
Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#21 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

I can't comment on the intelligence of the OP as I know nothing about him but I have to disagree with this statement. Universities don't care whether the students they accept are prepared or well suited for school, they care about money.

Ah, well then that might be the main difference with my experience in the US system. That's really too bad that money is their main driving force. Are these schools for profit, or are they struggling with their endowment?

Colleges/Universities in the US are for the most part interested in their ranking (especially top 100 schools). Yield rate and graduation rate is a really important factor in the rankings, so it would be a bad deal for a school to enroll a bunch of people who can't cut it and have to drop out after a year. Of course, schools get a lot of money from tuition but for the most part they rely on alumni to donate so they can have a strong endowment.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#22 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

I would have recommended going to SFU. It's going to serve you better. Schooling is very important, if you're going to put in the time and effort you might as well do it right.

Also, University anywhere isn't that big of a deal, the first couple years are a feeling out process anyway. You will definitely be tested but I wouldn't worry about now being smart enough. The whole purpose is to challenge yourself and set yourself up for success in life.

Either way at least you are getting an education.

Best of luck !!!

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#23 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

Scared you're not smart enough? That's all nonsense. Build up your confidence and clear your mind. It's usually our self-doubt that is our biggest obstacle. You'll be fine at whatever school you choose. Don't worry about how others are doing. Concentrate on your own self-improvement and work hard. Succeeding in school has more to do with time management than being smart. Congrats on getting in. You'll be just fine.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 10 June 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#24 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

You don't need to be that smart to get through university. It's all about how hard you work. The major difference between university and high school is the volume of material they throw at you.

There are a few classes that have genuinly hard concepts to grasp, but those are mostly in engineering, chemistry, etc...

Most Arts classes are difficult, because they want you to:
a) memorize a ton of stuff; and/or
B) read a ton of stuff.

Getting into university is really tough these days. If you got in your smart enough to be there. You just need to bear down and work.

#25 CALGARY!

CALGARY!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

If your were smart enough to get accepted I am sure you will accell. Have confidence and I am sure you will do great! I was nervous entering college, I moved out to Richmond to attend BCITs aero campus in aircraft maintenance, I was quite nervous having moved away from my province, but I found being in college and just enjoying what you do everything worked out. I finished top of my class and enjoyed every bit of it.

You can do the same, can't wait to read some of your articles, try not to bash the Flames, by the time your done school they should be dominating ;) .

#26 Moondawg

Moondawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

OK, I will say this once, so listen up.
You are smart enough to do whatever you want to do, and I don't even know you.

I hate hearing people say they aren't smart enough.

If you work hard (maybe even harder than other people have to), study, put the work in, you can do whatever you want to do. So if you enjoy the challenge, go for SFU, and you will succeed through hard work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.