The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At what point is Kesler no longer worth a good trade return.

Van bc

To watch Luo's worth become nothing more then a bag of pucks and to realise the twins don't fit into any other teams plans to seek a cup I wonder when Kelser stock will fall. Its no secret that our window has closed and I hope the canucks can start getting new young talent so we can start building a champion winning team in the near future. This being said what could we get for Kesler or do you think his value has dropped due to his injuries. Wow it really seems like building a champion team has to be done via the draft now and it would be sweet to get a Mckinnon like player for the future.

It was around this point in his career that Joe Nieuwendyk was traded for Jarome Iginla, that trade worked out well for Calgary but let's face it, Kesler isn't a Nieuwendyk so we are not going to get that kind of prospect in return. If the Canucks start dropping in the standings i would think something major will happen next year, if they are competitive and look like a cup contender, nothing will happen.

I think Keslers value is tough to appraise, is has been injury riddled for quite some time off and on, while he is not a true top 6 point producer, he's is among the best in the league as a tight checking shut down player, who brings it all every game, I know he had his 40+ goal season, I think he overachieved that season on a team where most of the core was at the peak of their prime. I doubt he will ever repeat as a 40 goal guy, and perhaps not even 30 goalmseason. That being said he fills the shutdown role as good as anyone could ask for. He would be a great fit on a team like TB or Pittsburgh. But again being so injury prone makes Him a gamble. As a GM you don't wanna give up good roster players or top prospects for a guy who has a good chance of missing 30-40 games a season.

If Kesler has another injury riddled season his stock drops dramatically.

Right now we could get a huge return for him, and we should do so.

He is great when he goes into beast-mode and can single-handedly change a game, those moments are becoming more rare though. Where he lacks is the ability to make players around him better... his game is largely a solo effort in my opinion.

You could get a lottery pick, a top prospect, as well as a roster player to help us now for him if he was willing to waive his NTC to one of those lower end teams. More likely you could get a package of great prospects from a top end team like NYR that he would be willing to be moved to.

if luongo was still a top 3 goalie his contract wouldnt be an issue....he gets paid as a top 3 goalie, who plays 85% of the season and carries a team... he hasn't done that in a few years now and spent last year as a back up . kesler gets paid as as a 40 goal scorer and he has only done that once in his career... hes a terrible playmaker wich is why no one has had a good career playing on his wing.... get the majority of his points come on the first unit PP couple that with his injuries...and his price tag once again we would get little back or end up taking a bad contract back like we will for luongo.

I'm gonna throw it out there and say he will be our best player next year and for years to come..

Anyone saying he has low trade value is completely nuts. If rumours came out that he was available, there would be 29 teams drooling over him. Even in his contract year, he'd be the biggest addition to any team at the trade deadline.

I'm gonna throw it out there and say he will be our best player next year and for years to come..

Anyone saying he has low trade value is completely nuts. If rumours came out that he was available, there would be 29 teams drooling over him. Even in his contract year, he'd be the biggest addition to any team at the trade deadline.

In fairness, it's not as though I post that in every thread, this one is just especially bad. Most of the stuff that I feel is worthless I do tend to ignore.

Talk of trading Kesler is simply too annoying to ignore, I suppose. No prospect, no trade acquisition, will replace what he brings. it says something about a portion of the fanbase that is far from flattering and I wish more of the reasonable fans would speak out against this type of stupidity. It's not like this thread is really constructive.

When he's 35+ and becomes a fringe 2nd liner is when his value will be diminished significantly. Best time to trade him for value is when he's 30-33 yrs old and still is close to what he is today, otherwise he might as well retire a Canuck. If we traded him this summer, we could get a very nice package for him but we could probably get a similar package for him 2-3yrs from now. I hope he isn't traded this summer but all this talk and speculation make me nervous that we will lose a key piece(s) of our team outside of one of our goaltenders.

To watch Luo's worth become nothing more then a bag of pucks and to realise the twins don't fit into any other teams plans to seek a cup I wonder when Kelser stock will fall. Its no secret that our window has closed and I hope the canucks can start getting new young talent so we can start building a champion winning team in the near future. This being said what could we get for Kesler or do you think his value has dropped due to his injuries. Wow it really seems like building a champion team has to be done via the draft now and it would be sweet to get a Mckinnon like player for the future.

Archived