The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eakins Press Conference

I picked up a few interesting comments from the press conference today. Eakins mentioned time flew by in his interview because he felt he was talking to fellow "hockey people". Eakins also mentioned being able to "work with" teh Oilers management team. He also mentioned he had "no issues coaching veteren players".

So let me read between the lines....MG is not considered a "hockey guy" as far as Eakins is concerned and also Eakins did not feel he could work for or with Gillis.

All the talk about him picking the Oilers because he preferred to coach a young team was not true.

I must say, I was very impressed with Dallas Eakins, he was very well spoken ahd had a very interesting perpspective on coaching. I particularly like his coment about coaching players instead of coaching a team. I think Gillis dropped the ball (again).

Mike Gillis needs to be fired. I have said this many times. He has no respect in the league as a "hockey guy" and he has ZERO personality. He makes people feel uncomforatable....Eakins himself said time flew by in a four hour interview compared to "other" interviews.

I know there are other more experienced coaching prospects out there but in MY opinion, I liked Eakins alot. Oilers have a winner.

So one guy makes a generic statement about liking his new employers, and from that, you conclude that he was actually saying something against Gillis?

Not EVERYTHING that EVERYONE says leads back to the Canucks. This attitude is bordering on paranoia.

He said "in the other interviews". Pretty sure not every other team in the league interviewed him once or twice for that matter. Keep loving Gillis as he has done oh so much for the Canucks.

Go read the posts on TSN over the next few hours and see how many people agree with my interpretation of Eakins's comments.

I'm pretty sure that the Canucks interviewing him was a courtesy move for the most part anyway. You can't bring in a coach with no NHL experience and have them coach a dressing room like the Canucks.

Especially considering that Eakins played on the same Manitoba Moose team as Kesler, Burrows and Bieksa...now he is expected to coach them?

Kes, Burr and Juice played more NHL games in the past two seasons than Eakins played in his entire career.

Eakins is touted to be a very good up and coming coach but right now he is not what the Canucks need for their current goals.

Without hearing the press conference it's hard to read meaning into those words, but I'd be surprised if that was his intent. The hockey community is very small so not sure why it would be in his best interests to burn any bridges.

As for MG making me uncomfortable? Yeah a little bit, for various reasons. The fact that he's taking his time searching for a new coach doesn't bother me that much as I want him to be thorough.

But considering that it took him four long weeks of meetings and a trip to Las Vegas to decide if AV was his guy in the first place, I'm concerned that his thoroughness might cause those at the top of his list to not wait around and take jobs elsewhere before he's done with his evaluations and interviews.

it doesnt matter i find it hard to believe that if we get anyone other than torts , we will not find a coach that will hold our core accountable.... sedin's ,burrows, kesler ,bieksa ,edler have had a free pass for a few years where it doesnt matter if they have a bad shift or even a bad week they never miss a regular shift......ice time should be a reward for hard work... dosent matter how well our bottom 2 lines are playing in a game over the last few years they never get any extra shifts and dosent matter how bad our top 2 lines have played they never miss a shift....

I picked up a few interesting comments from the press conference today. Eakins mentioned time flew by in his interview because he felt he was talking to fellow "hockey people". Eakins also mentioned being able to "work with" teh Oilers management team. He also mentioned he had "no issues coaching veteren players".

So let me read between the lines....MG is not considered a "hockey guy" as far as Eakins is concerned and also Eakins did not feel he could work for or with Gillis.

All the talk about him picking the Oilers because he preferred to coach a young team was not true.

I must say, I was very impressed with Dallas Eakins, he was very well spoken ahd had a very interesting perpspective on coaching. I particularly like his coment about coaching players instead of coaching a team. I think Gillis dropped the ball (again).

Mike Gillis needs to be fired. I have said this many times. He has no respect in the league as a "hockey guy" and he has ZERO personality. He makes people feel uncomforatable....Eakins himself said time flew by in a four hour interview compared to "other" interviews.

I know there are other more experienced coaching prospects out there but in MY opinion, I liked Eakins alot. Oilers have a winner.

I'm pretty sure that the Canucks interviewing him was a courtesy move for the most part anyway. You can't bring in a coach with no NHL experience and have them coach a dressing room like the Canucks.

Especially considering that Eakins played on the same Manitoba Moose team as Kesler, Burrows and Bieksa...now he is expected to coach them?

Kes, Burr and Juice played more NHL games in the past two seasons than Eakins played in his entire career.

Eakins is touted to be a very good up and coming coach but right now he is not what the Canucks need for their current goals.

canucks_2288

1 hour ago

Eakins said time flew by in his interview because he felt he was in a room of 'hockey guys'. Yet another shot at Gillis. He also said he felt he could work with Oilers Management. Another shot at Gillis. When will Canucks ownership open their eyes and ears and fire Mike Gillis? The Canucks just missed out on a great coach because of Gillis. icon_report_off.gif

LOL...TROLOLOLOLOL.

Archived