29 replies to this topic

#1 canuck2288

canuck2288

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

I picked up a few interesting comments from the press conference today. Eakins mentioned time flew by in his interview because he felt he was talking to fellow "hockey people". Eakins also mentioned being able to "work with" teh Oilers management team. He also mentioned he had "no issues coaching veteren players".

So let me read between the lines....MG is not considered a "hockey guy" as far as Eakins is concerned and also Eakins did not feel he could work for or with Gillis.

All the talk about him picking the Oilers because he preferred to coach a young team was not true.

I must say, I was very impressed with Dallas Eakins, he was very well spoken ahd had a very interesting perpspective on coaching. I particularly like his coment about coaching players instead of coaching a team. I think Gillis dropped the ball (again).

Mike Gillis needs to be fired. I have said this many times. He has no respect in the league as a "hockey guy" and he has ZERO personality. He makes people feel uncomforatable....Eakins himself said time flew by in a four hour interview compared to "other" interviews.

I know there are other more experienced coaching prospects out there but in MY opinion, I liked Eakins alot. Oilers have a winner.

#2 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

POPULAR

So one guy makes a generic statement about liking his new employers, and from that, you conclude that he was actually saying something against Gillis?

Not EVERYTHING that EVERYONE says leads back to the Canucks. This attitude is bordering on paranoia.

#3 canuck2288

canuck2288

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

He said "in the other interviews". Pretty sure not every other team in the league interviewed him once or twice for that matter. Keep loving Gillis as he has done oh so much for the Canucks.

Go read the posts on TSN over the next few hours and see how many people agree with my interpretation of Eakins's comments.

#4 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'm pretty sure that the Canucks interviewing him was a courtesy move for the most part anyway. You can't bring in a coach with no NHL experience and have them coach a dressing room like the Canucks.

Especially considering that Eakins played on the same Manitoba Moose team as Kesler, Burrows and Bieksa...now he is expected to coach them?

Kes, Burr and Juice played more NHL games in the past two seasons than Eakins played in his entire career.

Eakins is touted to be a very good up and coming coach but right now he is not what the Canucks need for their current goals.
"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,767 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

MG didn't even offer him the job so ... nothing here at all.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#6 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Without hearing the press conference it's hard to read meaning into those words, but I'd be surprised if that was his intent. The hockey community is very small so not sure why it would be in his best interests to burn any bridges.

As for MG making me uncomfortable? Yeah a little bit, for various reasons. The fact that he's taking his time searching for a new coach doesn't bother me that much as I want him to be thorough.

But considering that it took him four long weeks of meetings and a trip to Las Vegas to decide if AV was his guy in the first place, I'm concerned that his thoroughness might cause those at the top of his list to not wait around and take jobs elsewhere before he's done with his evaluations and interviews.

Edited by MJDDawg, 10 June 2013 - 01:26 PM.

Posted Image

#7 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,636 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

If the Canucks wanted Eakins to coach this team, he would be the coach
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#8 jj99

jj99

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

The guy has NEVER coached an NHL game people.......stop acting like we missed out on Scotty Bowman. :bigblush:

#9 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,417 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yes, yes. The 'No NHL Experience Scotty Bowman' will work out well automatically.

Just like Tom Renney and Brent Sutter.

If Eakins wasn't ever coach of the Marlies, would anyone hear anything at all about this guy?
Posted Image

#10 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

it doesnt matter i find it hard to believe that if we get anyone other than torts , we will not find a coach that will hold our core accountable.... sedin's ,burrows, kesler ,bieksa ,edler have had a free pass for a few years where it doesnt matter if they have a bad shift or even a bad week they never miss a regular shift......ice time should be a reward for hard work... dosent matter how well our bottom 2 lines are playing in a game over the last few years they never get any extra shifts and dosent matter how bad our top 2 lines have played they never miss a shift....

#11 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

I picked up a few interesting comments from the press conference today. Eakins mentioned time flew by in his interview because he felt he was talking to fellow "hockey people". Eakins also mentioned being able to "work with" teh Oilers management team. He also mentioned he had "no issues coaching veteren players".

So let me read between the lines....MG is not considered a "hockey guy" as far as Eakins is concerned and also Eakins did not feel he could work for or with Gillis.

All the talk about him picking the Oilers because he preferred to coach a young team was not true.

I must say, I was very impressed with Dallas Eakins, he was very well spoken ahd had a very interesting perpspective on coaching. I particularly like his coment about coaching players instead of coaching a team. I think Gillis dropped the ball (again).

Mike Gillis needs to be fired. I have said this many times. He has no respect in the league as a "hockey guy" and he has ZERO personality. He makes people feel uncomforatable....Eakins himself said time flew by in a four hour interview compared to "other" interviews.

I know there are other more experienced coaching prospects out there but in MY opinion, I liked Eakins alot. Oilers have a winner.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
Serious question.
Follow me on twitter @RealStamkos91

#12 Melons

Melons

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm pretty sure that the Canucks interviewing him was a courtesy move for the most part anyway. You can't bring in a coach with no NHL experience and have them coach a dressing room like the Canucks.

Especially considering that Eakins played on the same Manitoba Moose team as Kesler, Burrows and Bieksa...now he is expected to coach them?

Kes, Burr and Juice played more NHL games in the past two seasons than Eakins played in his entire career.

Eakins is touted to be a very good up and coming coach but right now he is not what the Canucks need for their current goals.

FWIW and IIRC he only played ~2 or 3 games with Burr and Juice, ~20 with Kes, many moons ago. Not saying Eakins was the answer or that GMMG got "out-gmed" but the lack of interest from UFAs and now potentially coaches should be of some concern.

Also, WTF is a "courtesy interview" anyway?

#13 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,417 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Go read the posts on TSN over the next few hours and see how many people agree with my interpretation of Eakins's comments.

Lol. Proof positive that TO-based trolls love their Marlies coach and hatez the Canuckz?

Eakins Press Conference talk isn't Canucks talk, troll.
Posted Image

#14 canuck2288

canuck2288

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
Serious question.

Do you? What exactly is your point and what point do you not agree with ya goof? Nice response btw

#15 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

That's not called reading between the lines that's called making wild accusations and unbelievable assumptions.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Reading between the lines on a topic that has zero to do with the Canucks.

Do you hate Gillis because it's trending or are you simply trying to convince the world that you have all of the answers?
Posted Image

#17 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

The guy has NEVER coached an NHL game people.......stop acting like we missed out on Scotty Bowman. :bigblush:

Funny though... Scotty Bowman never played in the NHL before taking on the head coaching job in St.Louis and then went on to win 9 Stanley Cups in 30 seasons as a head coach.

Pat Burns never played a single game either. Despite that, he was still one of the best coaches in the league.

I'm not saying that Eakins was the best choice for the Canucks, but we can't just write him off due to lack of NHL experience or games played. Some people are just born to lead.
Posted Image

#18 canuck2288

canuck2288

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Watch the press conference guys and form your opinion at that point. That is all I ask. I also feel this is a "Canucks" topic because the Canucks interviewed this guy ....twice.

#19 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

canucks_2288

1 hour ago

Eakins said time flew by in his interview because he felt he was in a room of 'hockey guys'. Yet another shot at Gillis. He also said he felt he could work with Oilers Management. Another shot at Gillis. When will Canucks ownership open their eyes and ears and fire Mike Gillis? The Canucks just missed out on a great coach because of Gillis. Posted Image

LOL...TROLOLOLOLOL.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#20 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,417 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

Watch the press conference guys and form your opinion at that point. That is all I ask. I also feel this is a "Canucks" topic because the Canucks interviewed this guy ....twice.

Not only is this not Canucks talk, as he's an Oiler, but even if he wasn't an Oiler yet, this coach talk should be in the pinned coach talk thread.

'Read between the lines' and post appropiately.
Posted Image

#21 WiseOne

WiseOne

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

We will never know if he would have worked out in Vancouver or not. So the pool of coaching candidates decreases a bit now, has Gillis started talking to the Kings yet? I haven't heard anything.
Posted Image 

#22 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

Funny though... Scotty Bowman never played in the NHL before taking on the head coaching job in St.Louis and then went on to win 9 Stanley Cups in 30 seasons as a head coach.

Pat Burns never played a single game either. Despite that, he was still one of the best coaches in the league.

I'm not saying that Eakins was the best choice for the Canucks, but we can't just write him off due to lack of NHL experience or games played. Some people are just born to lead.

This was one of my favourite arguments from people as well. I am sure Bowman, burns Quinn Nielson etc all came into the league as head coaches their very first game with decades of experience at the NHL Level ;) Eakins is going to do great with the young Oilers team make no mistake, it all hinges now on MacT being decisive enough to make the moves he needs to to be competitive.

#23 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

No

So one guy makes a generic statement about liking his new employers, and from that, you conclude that he was actually saying something against Gillis?

Not EVERYTHING that EVERYONE says leads back to the Canucks. This attitude is bordering on paranoia.

Obviously not directly at Gillis. But something to think about he said he had a choice and he picked the Oilers. I didn't even know the Oilers where in on him till like yesterday. He had 2 interviews with the Canucks and chose Oilers within like 48 hours. Does say something about people wanting to come here. He chose a young team that has missed the playoffss for 7 years over a team that wants to win now.

Just like Clowe chose the rangers over the Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#24 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

I think it was an easy choice for him to make. You have the Oilers, full of young talent who finished out of the playoffs. Only way to go is up the standings. The expectations are for the team to make the playoffs. And you have the Canucks, full of aging players, finished near the top of the standings. Expectations for them are to win or challenge for the cup, anything less than a second round playoff series and there is a decent chance that the GM and ultimately the coach will lose their jobs. I think Eakins made a pretty smart choice.

#25 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

So do potential business prospects need someone entertaining to go hang and have a beer with or is this serious business related stuff?

How, on earth, you bring personality into this is beyond me.

Mike is all business all the time...many would find that reassuring in entering into possible future transactions with him.

Did you ever think maybe at least part of his reasoning was because of people like you - people in this market who will scream for his head every time he makes a move? Vancouver's a fishbowl, housing and accommodation pricing is beyond belief and he may just have reasons that he isn't sharing with you (or I). In Edmonton, he can tuck away a little more easily to settle into his new role and will be in front of a pool of young prospects and a team he can grow with.

Here? Just look at these boards to get a cross section of what he'd encounter on a daily basis then add to that our relentless media and that, alone, could scare someone off.

You've taken one comment that you like from the guy and decided he is the one. Well done.

Posted Image

#26 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

...and Ehrhoff signed in Buffalo because the thought they gave him the best chance to win.

People say nice things when speaking to the press about taking a new job. It doesn't mean the inverse is true for the competition.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

I don't recall him saying we offered him a deal, just talking about the possibilities as a family. Oilers got a good one.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#28 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

He said "in the other interviews". Pretty sure not every other team in the league interviewed him once or twice for that matter. Keep loving Gillis as he has done oh so much for the Canucks.

You do know that everyone who posts on TSN are either a troll or insane, right?
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#29 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,261 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

You see that single vote up for your original post? Yeah that's what CDC thinks of your speculation, and if CDC ain't buying what you're selling, then no one is.

#30 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Do you? What exactly is your point and what point do you not agree with ya goof? Nice response btw

Are you 14...?

Nice response btw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.