Canucks Community

[Official] Destiny

Drouin

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone playing the beta?

Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Sunk a good five hours into it today,

First Impressions:

- Will cater to the Borderlands crowd (From the levelling system, to the health bars to the insane amount of class customizations)

- Definitely plays like Halo. Probably goes without saying considering Bunjie made it, but still something to consider.

- Gorgeous.... yeah.

- It's really obvious they're pushing for a sense of community with the main base where players can gather and communicate. If they manage to get it right I can definitely see this game lasting me a whole year at the least.

- A lot of people WILL be disappointed. I can see a bunch of people picking this up expecting a straightforward multiplayer where you can hop in and play regular TDM gametypes and things of that nature. This doesn't play like that at all. I haven't actually done much research on the game itself but what the beta has shown me it is more like various online co-op side missions much like the Spartan Ops from Halo. And they take TIME. I'm talking half an hour to an hour long missions.

- The interface and smoothness of the game itself has BLOWN me away. Every single menu and option is eye candy.

If you don't have the attention span of a two year I would recommend this game to any person who is interested in an co-op FPS RPG.

These are the final stages of the beta. So it should be not too far away from what the final product will look like.

The final stages of the beta are usually for testing for bugs and server issues.

In that case I could see it getting repetitive quickly IF the other planets are similar in makeup to the one in the beta. If you found borderlands boring I could easily see you not liking this game. The enemies aren't repetitive, the boss battles aren't repetitive. The only thing I can see someone getting sick of is grinding through missions in similar underground environments for gear. I like that kind of stuff, but I could see why others don't.

Does anyone need a beta code? I have 3 for PS4 and 1 for PS3

PLEASE. PS4 please.

In that case I could see it getting repetitive quickly IF the other planets are similar in makeup to the one in the beta. If you found borderlands boring I could easily see you not liking this game. The enemies aren't repetitive, the boss battles aren't repetitive. The only thing I can see someone getting sick of is grinding through missions in similar underground environments for gear. I like that kind of stuff, but I could see why others don't.

I was just going off of what I've heard. I love the Borderlands series myself and put many hours into the games.

Edited by DollarAndADream

Sunk a good five hours into it today,

First Impressions:

- Will cater to the Borderlands crowd (From the levelling system, to the health bars to the insane amount of class customizations)

- Definitely plays like Halo. Probably goes without saying considering Bunjie made it, but still something to consider.

- Gorgeous.... yeah.

- It's really obvious they're pushing for a sense of community with the main base where players can gather and communicate. If they manage to get it right I can definitely see this game lasting me a whole year at the least.

- A lot of people WILL be disappointed. I can see a bunch of people picking this up expecting a straightforward multiplayer where you can hop in and play regular TDM gametypes and things of that nature. This doesn't play like that at all. I haven't actually done much research on the game itself but what the beta has shown me it is more like various online co-op side missions much like the Spartan Ops from Halo. And they take TIME. I'm talking half an hour to an hour long missions.

- The interface and smoothness of the game itself has BLOWN me away. Every single menu and option is eye candy.

If you don't have the attention span of a two year I would recommend this game to any person who is interested in an co-op FPS RPG.

Thanks.

I think I'm going to like this game. Guess I have to bite the bullet and get a PS4 now.

With the Beta down for 2 days for maintenance, thought i'd share my thoughts. My first one, i'm absolutely in love. This is the game i've been waiting for forever. Space, Mass Effect, Cod, Halo with the depth of skyrim all rolled into one. There are only a couple PVP maps with basically only domination as a mode and 6 chapters on part of earth in the story mode. So yes, that could get repetitive, but this will likely be one of the least repetitive finished products ever made.

PVP is as smooth as COD yet as innovative as Mass Effect multiplayer, and the learning curve is steep, but the player customization and sheer depth of everything in this game is akin to Skyrim. PVP rewards skill and teamwork, you can play any style or use any tactic and be successful if you are skilled. I love that and that there is a way to counter everything.

Here's a brief breakdown of the classes as they are in the beta so you can get right down to business when you start your game up.

Hunter: My preferred class, speed and lethality. Basically a Rogue class, if you are like me and are quicker and more accurate on the sticks than most people this class will reward you. Quick, shifty movements paired with accuracy and lethal offense. Picture Batman sifting his way through baddies. The Golden Gun power will either have you shrieking with delight or acknowledging your impending doom if you are on the wrong side of it.

Warlock: Sort of a Mage class, if I wasn't so suited to a Hunter i'd be a Warlock. This is very much a Mass Effect type of character with it's biotic/tech type attacks. It's a pretty average class for weapon use, but it's biotic/tech attacks are devastating. Basically it has the biotic explosion of the N7 Fury from Mass Effect 3, which is extremely useful.

Titan: If you are a hardcore COD player, or military tactical type player this is for you. Also, it's a tank class. You won't be jumping off walls or using speed and shadows as your ally. You're going in straight lines outlasting anyone you meet head on. Your first "Power" is Havoc, which is essentially the same potent ground smash of the ME3 Vanguard. Save it and use it to turn the tide in your favor or clear control points, preferably on multiple enemies.

As for the story and free roam, it's just as good as the PVP. Again, what you can do is limited to one section of earth and just 6 chapters in the beta, but we know Bungie does this as good as anyone, and it's all co-op. Even if the Beta if you look hard enough there is hidden loot all over, hidden dungeons with invincible bosses, and ways to induce hoard mode and ramp up the difficulty which is the best way to get good gear. We haven't even left earth yet...There are ships and speeders, you don't need these unless the game is going to be massive.

IMO both the Destiny campaign and PVP are going to be amongst the best and most rewarding I've ever seen, I've played games that were one or the other but not both. I had high expectations for this game, but they were immediately absolutely smashed.

Edited by Kulikov
  • Upvote 1

I am on if anyone wants to play, don't care what mode.

Forgot to mention in my big long winded post, keep an eye out for Iron Banner events and try to get in them. This is how you get rewards that you will get to carry over to the full game release. Make sure you take Iron Banner Bounties into Iron Banner Mode.

Also Iron Banner means your gear/weapon levels count, in crucible they are autobalanced.

Edited by Kulikov

I am on if anyone wants to play, don't care what mode.

Forgot to mention in my big long winded post, keep an eye out for Iron Banner events and try to get in them. This is how you get rewards that you will get to carry over to the full game release. Make sure you take Iron Banner Bounties into Iron Banner Mode.

Also Iron Banner means your gear/weapon levels count, in crucible they are autobalanced.

I'm pretty sure the event on the 26th has stuff that will carry over, not the Iron Banner events