The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CHL bans import goalies

I think the issue is simple.

The CHL is a league that is dedicated to allowing Canadian hockey players to develop. It is not professional. Players are not paid to play.

Often, a player who may develop in any sport may just need some time, a chance, make some errors, learn etc. Ensuring the league focuses on developing Canadian talent, at a time when hockey is seeing lower and lower enrollment at the younger levels because of cost, is in my mind a good thing.

There may be a few players who end up being late bloomers who actually get a shot out of this, and at worst, a few more canadian kids will get to play in the OHL and get a free education. (if you play in the OHL there is a scholarship fund so kids can go to school for free after).

I'd rather have some of my tax dollars (and some do go to the CHL btw) go to them, rather than some kid from Europe

• 4 weeks later...

I have read a lot of the opinions on here about how the CHL is a development league for North American players and how that should remain the focus, etc etc. If the feeling of Canadian talent losing its grip on the world stage is reality, this move will do nothing to change it in the long run.

Several countries in Europe have improved their hockey programs immensely in the last 20 years, and it's beginning to make an impact at the U-20 level.

There may come a day when Canada will no longer be considered a 'contender' in international hockey tournaments. This might sound like a mind boggling statement today, but if the USA and European hockey continues to improve, this may indeed become reality.

After the chest beating self-idolatry that was rampant in the 2010 Olympics, I actually began to loathe the Canadian attitude of 'owning the podium'. The practice of banning import goaltenders altogether carries an odour of narcissistic insecurity. If Canadian goaltenders truly are the best in the world, they will retain their position in the CHL. If not, well then c'est la vie.

It's not like I am advocating that the CHL turn into a junior league for Europeans. Every team is subject to the 2 import player maximum.

Archived