The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CHL bans import goalies

I like this, but not for the reasons people are talking about. I could care less about giving Canadian players an advantage, nor do I worry that Europeans are stealing spots from 'our boys'.

To me, this makes every bit of sense when you look at the situation in the NHL today. The goalie pool is overflowing right now, good young goalies are popping up every year, and much more frequently than before. The talent level of goalies has also completely changed the NHL compared to the stand-up goaltending days.

The CHL, being the primary junior level development league for the NHL, needs to make sure it is helping to strengthen the NHL product. The fact is that Euro players were brought to North America because they were good, really good, and they increased the talent pool, both at the pro and junior level. Right now, however, that isn't the case. We have more than enough good young Canadian and US goalies that can make the CHL competitive, and then move on to the NHL and provide quality goaltending at that level. So adding Euro goalies does not increase the talent pool, which was the original reason to bring them over.

We have also seen that in recent years, the jump from a Euro league to NHL is getting easier for goaltenders. It used to be a nightmare for a player to try to come over, hence it was much better for them to come over as a junior, but that advantage doesn't exist anymore, there is no harm in a goaltender of elite talent honing their skills in Europe and then still making the NHL, whereas in the past that elite talent would have been somewhat wasted in Europe and perhaps not developed enough for them to make the NHL.

On top of all that, this can only help to improve the situation in Europe, where some countries are finding a hard time keeping their talent even at a young age, leagues like the Czech and Slovak Extraligas have gone south in a hurry. Why is everyone complaining how this is unfair to Euros when they stand to benefit the most, given they will have better hockey to watch and better competition to play against with this ban. Everybody wins!

I personally think this is ridiculous, and really unfair for European goalies who wish to come and play in the CHL.

I think a better idea (if the CHL really felt like they needed to do something about this) would have been to count a goalie as both of a teams European players on their roster. So a team could either have 2 Euro skaters, or 1 Euro goalie.

CHL only allowed about 1/10 of a team's skater roster to be Euro, to protect the development opportunities of the NA skaters. Makes sense that they don't want 1/2 of the goalies to be, for the same reasons.

And with goalies, it is magnified, as 1/2 usually gets 0:00 minutes of ice time.

By the way, some people seem to be confusing the CHL with the NHL.

The CHL's main goal is to develop North American ice hockey players. If it was simply to be the best damn Junior ice hockey on the planet, they wouldn't have import restrictions in the first place.

I can see the CHL's point but at the same time you need to play the best to be the best. Your just gonna keep the Europeans in Europe and lessen the chance of them coming over to North America

I'm sure the NHL teams have an "silent" opinion as it would take longer for European goalies to adjust to the NHL game unless they played in the AHL, USHL etc.

Plus I agree with what Don Cherry said(a first for me) that teams will just use the import slots on d-men and forwards taking roster spots from "elite" players in those positions.

I have no issue with this.

There are only 120 jobs for goalies in the CHL which is disproportionately small compated to forwards and defense. Our kids need to play against the best competitors they can face to improve. Goalies out of the USHL and college rarely make it. ( Schneider and Quick... I know, I know.)

Imports are fine and it doesn't lower the import bar as teams still get to bring in two.

Call me a dinosaur but I still think of the CHL as being for Canadians. Goalies, and their families, had it the hardest and this is a small measure. It may not mean much to you but for those 3 or 4 kids it's huge.

• 3 weeks later...

I like this, but not for the reasons people are talking about. I could care less about giving Canadian players an advantage, nor do I worry that Europeans are stealing spots from 'our boys'.

To me, this makes every bit of sense when you look at the situation in the NHL today. The goalie pool is overflowing right now, good young goalies are popping up every year, and much more frequently than before. The talent level of goalies has also completely changed the NHL compared to the stand-up goaltending days.

The CHL, being the primary junior level development league for the NHL, needs to make sure it is helping to strengthen the NHL product. The fact is that Euro players were brought to North America because they were good, really good, and they increased the talent pool, both at the pro and junior level. Right now, however, that isn't the case. We have more than enough good young Canadian and US goalies that can make the CHL competitive, and then move on to the NHL and provide quality goaltending at that level. So adding Euro goalies does not increase the talent pool, which was the original reason to bring them over.

We have also seen that in recent years, the jump from a Euro league to NHL is getting easier for goaltenders. It used to be a nightmare for a player to try to come over, hence it was much better for them to come over as a junior, but that advantage doesn't exist anymore, there is no harm in a goaltender of elite talent honing their skills in Europe and then still making the NHL, whereas in the past that elite talent would have been somewhat wasted in Europe and perhaps not developed enough for them to make the NHL.

On top of all that, this can only help to improve the situation in Europe, where some countries are finding a hard time keeping their talent even at a young age, leagues like the Czech and Slovak Extraligas have gone south in a hurry. Why is everyone complaining how this is unfair to Euros when they stand to benefit the most, given they will have better hockey to watch and better competition to play against with this ban. Everybody wins!

By the way, some people seem to be confusing the CHL with the NHL.

The CHL's main goal is to develop North American ice hockey players. If it was simply to be the best damn Junior ice hockey on the planet, they wouldn't have import restrictions in the first place.

They did nothing to limit the number of euro's entering, only position and there are many americans in the league as well as american franchises.

Might be called the "Canadian" league but its very much more than just one country

I was talking about the number not changing, only the restriction on the position

nonsensical worrying about the level of goaltending. Even though this "solution" won't do anything to better the goalies, and most chl starters are canadians

I think the issue is simple.

The CHL is a league that is dedicated to allowing Canadian hockey players to develop. It is not professional. Players are not paid to play.

Often, a player who may develop in any sport may just need some time, a chance, make some errors, learn etc. Ensuring the league focuses on developing Canadian talent, at a time when hockey is seeing lower and lower enrollment at the younger levels because of cost, is in my mind a good thing.

There may be a few players who end up being late bloomers who actually get a shot out of this, and at worst, a few more canadian kids will get to play in the OHL and get a free education. (if you play in the OHL there is a scholarship fund so kids can go to school for free after).

I'd rather have some of my tax dollars (and some do go to the CHL btw) go to them, rather than some kid from Europe

Archived