45 replies to this topic

#31 dragonslayerbeast

dragonslayerbeast

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

I like this, but not for the reasons people are talking about. I could care less about giving Canadian players an advantage, nor do I worry that Europeans are stealing spots from 'our boys'.

To me, this makes every bit of sense when you look at the situation in the NHL today. The goalie pool is overflowing right now, good young goalies are popping up every year, and much more frequently than before. The talent level of goalies has also completely changed the NHL compared to the stand-up goaltending days.

The CHL, being the primary junior level development league for the NHL, needs to make sure it is helping to strengthen the NHL product. The fact is that Euro players were brought to North America because they were good, really good, and they increased the talent pool, both at the pro and junior level. Right now, however, that isn't the case. We have more than enough good young Canadian and US goalies that can make the CHL competitive, and then move on to the NHL and provide quality goaltending at that level. So adding Euro goalies does not increase the talent pool, which was the original reason to bring them over.

We have also seen that in recent years, the jump from a Euro league to NHL is getting easier for goaltenders. It used to be a nightmare for a player to try to come over, hence it was much better for them to come over as a junior, but that advantage doesn't exist anymore, there is no harm in a goaltender of elite talent honing their skills in Europe and then still making the NHL, whereas in the past that elite talent would have been somewhat wasted in Europe and perhaps not developed enough for them to make the NHL.

On top of all that, this can only help to improve the situation in Europe, where some countries are finding a hard time keeping their talent even at a young age, leagues like the Czech and Slovak Extraligas have gone south in a hurry. Why is everyone complaining how this is unfair to Euros when they stand to benefit the most, given they will have better hockey to watch and better competition to play against with this ban. Everybody wins!

well said. some one who thinks about the whole picture and doesn't just have a knee jerk reaction about what is politically correct.

#32 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

By the way, some people seem to be confusing the CHL with the NHL.

The CHL's main goal is to develop North American ice hockey players. If it was simply to be the best damn Junior ice hockey on the planet, they wouldn't have import restrictions in the first place.

This

Its a CANADIAN development league. Not sure what people here are finding hard to grasp in this. They have every right to and a MANDATE to develop Canadian hockey players.

#33 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

This

Its a CANADIAN development league. Not sure what people here are finding hard to grasp in this. They have every right to and a MANDATE to develop Canadian hockey players.

It's actually not. Canadian and American players both can play in the league without being subject to the Import Draft.

If any country poses a 'threat' to Canadian player development, it's the USA.

Banning European goaltenders make no sense. Each team already has a mandated limit of Europeans, it shouldn't matter what position they play.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#34 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

This

They did nothing to limit the number of euro's entering, only position and there are many americans in the league as well as american franchises.

Might be called the "Canadian" league but its very much more than just one country

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#35 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

They did nothing to limit the number of euro's entering, only position and there are many americans in the league as well as american franchises.

Might be called the "Canadian" league but its very much more than just one country

The CHL only allows 2 European players per team.

Why they banned Euro goalies altogether makes no sense to me.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#36 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

I was talking about the number not changing, only the restriction on the position

nonsensical worrying about the level of goaltending. Even though this "solution" won't do anything to better the goalies, and most chl starters are canadians

Edited by canucklax, 09 July 2013 - 07:21 PM.

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#37 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

I was talking about the number not changing, only the restriction on the position

nonsensical worrying about the level of goaltending. Even though this "solution" won't do anything to better the goalies, and most chl starters are canadians

I have enjoyed some of the European WHL goaltenders (Bartosak, Makarov, Langhamer, Polivka)

It's sad they won't allow more after this year.
Posted Image

#38 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

I have enjoyed some of the European WHL goaltenders (Bartosak, Makarov, Langhamer, Polivka)

It's sad they won't allow more after this year.

and sad that people in charge are so close-minded

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#39 мeтpо

мeтpо

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

This is ridiculous

#40 In the Slot

In the Slot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

I think the issue is simple.

The CHL is a league that is dedicated to allowing Canadian hockey players to develop. It is not professional. Players are not paid to play.

Often, a player who may develop in any sport may just need some time, a chance, make some errors, learn etc. Ensuring the league focuses on developing Canadian talent, at a time when hockey is seeing lower and lower enrollment at the younger levels because of cost, is in my mind a good thing.

There may be a few players who end up being late bloomers who actually get a shot out of this, and at worst, a few more canadian kids will get to play in the OHL and get a free education. (if you play in the OHL there is a scholarship fund so kids can go to school for free after).

I'd rather have some of my tax dollars (and some do go to the CHL btw) go to them, rather than some kid from Europe

Edited by In the Slot, 10 July 2013 - 06:31 AM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you can't win an argument, correct the grammar instead"
- Internet Troll Handbook Chapter 1 pg 23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Especially if the Kassian's are 6'3'' mountain men with missing teeth and cool tattoos and the Hodgson's are short legged weirdos with politician parents" - Hansen36

#41 In the Slot

In the Slot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

Interesting, didn't know that. Personally, I think it should be a league for North American players. Let the Europeans play in europe and come over when drafted.
"If you can't win an argument, correct the grammar instead"
- Internet Troll Handbook Chapter 1 pg 23

"Especially if the Kassian's are 6'3'' mountain men with missing teeth and cool tattoos and the Hodgson's are short legged weirdos with politician parents" - Hansen36

#42 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

I think the issue is simple.

The CHL is a league that is dedicated to allowing Canadian hockey players to develop. It is not professional. Players are not paid to play.

Often, a player who may develop in any sport may just need some time, a chance, make some errors, learn etc. Ensuring the league focuses on developing Canadian talent, at a time when hockey is seeing lower and lower enrollment at the younger levels because of cost, is in my mind a good thing.

There may be a few players who end up being late bloomers who actually get a shot out of this, and at worst, a few more canadian kids will get to play in the OHL and get a free education. (if you play in the OHL there is a scholarship fund so kids can go to school for free after).

I'd rather have some of my tax dollars (and some do go to the CHL btw) go to them, rather than some kid from Europe

Players are paid to play, that's why they lose their NCAA eligibility after playing as little as 1 game. Its not much in weekly money, but they are given free room and board as well as some scholarship money for college.

Its not a league meant to develop Canadian players, its a league meant to make money and they do that by having Americans and European's play in the league to sell tickets and merchandise. Euro skaters are still allowed because a guy like Yakupov makes money for their team, but goalies were banned for xenophobic concerns about the position.

6xFRVi3.png

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#43 asdwe1

asdwe1

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

Why can't the CHL focus on building goalies in the Bantam AAA and Midget AAA ranks so that Canadian goalies do better once they make the CHL then exclude competition from Euro countries.

#44 CanuckClown

CanuckClown

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

I wonder if it will be challenged legally.

#45 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:35 AM

Why can't the CHL focus on building goalies in the Bantam AAA and Midget AAA ranks so that Canadian goalies do better once they make the CHL then exclude competition from Euro countries.

this! instead of ruling against others so win you a job by default why not just be better to win your job?

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#46 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

I have read a lot of the opinions on here about how the CHL is a development league for North American players and how that should remain the focus, etc etc. If the feeling of Canadian talent losing its grip on the world stage is reality, this move will do nothing to change it in the long run.

Several countries in Europe have improved their hockey programs immensely in the last 20 years, and it's beginning to make an impact at the U-20 level.

There may come a day when Canada will no longer be considered a 'contender' in international hockey tournaments. This might sound like a mind boggling statement today, but if the USA and European hockey continues to improve, this may indeed become reality.

After the chest beating self-idolatry that was rampant in the 2010 Olympics, I actually began to loathe the Canadian attitude of 'owning the podium'. The practice of banning import goaltenders altogether carries an odour of narcissistic insecurity. If Canadian goaltenders truly are the best in the world, they will retain their position in the CHL. If not, well then c'est la vie.

It's not like I am advocating that the CHL turn into a junior league for Europeans. Every team is subject to the 2 import player maximum.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.