The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Super Smash Brothers (2014)

avelanch

Holy shit, this is good. A shame that I can't just start playing with anyone around me due to it being a handheld, but this game is better than Brawl by a margin, at least at first glance,

Really like the way my old favourites play, and these new characters are pretty good.

My favourite is Robin (the avatar from Awakening). One of the skins for her looks like a carbon copy of my character too. Just the way the moves/spells/weapons are implemented into the game, and the way that Robin handles. This is what got me pumped up extra about the game when the character inclusion news was added, and it was fully worth the hype I gave it for myself.

Holy crap, this is good. A shame that I can't just start playing with anyone around me due to it being a handheld, but this game is better than Brawl by a margin, at least at first glance,

Really like the way my old favourites play, and these new characters are pretty good.

My favourite is Robin (the avatar from Awakening). One of the skins for her looks like a carbon copy of my character too. Just the way the moves/spells/weapons are implemented into the game, and the way that Robin handles. This is what got me pumped up extra about the game when the character inclusion news was added, and it was fully worth the hype I gave it for myself.

Personally, I'd say that every character in this game handles pretty well. I don't really have an issue with anyone.

the basics don't change, but SSB is such a different game now from when it started on the N64 it's not even funny.

The original game was all about the combos. Melee onwards and the emphasis on reaction speed became greater. At least that's the impression I got.

(EDIT: Just realized when looking through my 3DS's SD card that I can copy the album screenshots to my computer.)

2laejir.jpg

The official announcement for the WiiU version's release date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAEqAuaetUE

It comes out on December 6th, 2014 in Japan. There's also going to be a bundle which includes the Gamecube controller adapter, but that's old news.

The first group of Amiibo characters are: Mario, Marth, Pikachu, Peach, Villager, Link, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Fox, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Zelda, Pit, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Diddy Kong, and Little Mac.

Release date for the Amiibos is the same day as the Wii U version (in Japan).

The Smash Bros. Edition NEW 3DS comes out on November 8th, 2014.

meanwhile in the rest of the world.... we get the wii u version FIRST!

Nintendo Finally Reveals 'Super Smash Bros. for Wii U' Release Date

Given the late hour, many assumed that when all was said and done, Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. for Wii U wouldn’t be able to squeeze into its long-promised 2014 release window. The lack of a release date for the Wii U’s Super Smash Bros. has become almost a running joke in the industry, but today it’s Nintendo who has the last laugh.

They’ve delivered on their promise, revealing today that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be out November 21st in North America, and in Europe December 5th. The date is only a month and a half away, and given Nintendo’s history of delays another one for Smash Bros. seemed inevitable, but Nintendo recognized the importance of getting Smash Bros. out for the holiday, and it’s fantastic they’re able to release it as promised.

The news also comes with a more than a few bonus items. First, the also previously-not-date Captain Toad will be out December 5th in North America with a January release in Europe. Next , Nintendo says its first Amibo figures will debut November 21st alongside Smash Bros. for $12 each, with a second wave coming in December. Also on November 21st will be the debut of the adapter for the Wii U to be able to use old Gamecube controllers, but Nintendo is also releasing a new Smash Bros-branded Gamecube controller for $30. $99 gets you the adapter, controller, and the game itself.

SUPER-SMASH-BROS.jpg

Lastly, Nintendo revealed sales numbers for the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. which has been out for a bit already. That version of the game has sold 2.8M copies worldwide, and yes, that means consumers, not retailers, as we’ve often mislead that way lately these days.

All in all, it’s a pretty huge news morning for Nintendo who has scored a win by delivering on their Smash Bros. promise. That may seem like kind of a low bar for achievement, but given their history of days and it nearly being one minute to midnight, it is something of a miracle Smash Bros. will be ready in time for 2014.

What remains to be seen is if Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be as popular for NIntendo as Mario Kart 8 was earlier this year. Given the infinite replay value of Smash, many would assume it attracts a larger audience than Mario Kart. But at its core it’s still a fighting game, and Mario Kart has usually proven to be a bit more accessible to a larger crowd. Still, whatever the case, it’s clear that Smash will be a huge game for Nintendo, limited only by the Wii U’s install base (an issue which cropped up during the Mario Kart debut as well).

Given that Nintendo’s Wii U is almost entirely supported by its big first-party hits, Smash Bros. is a defining moment for the system, as there’s always one Smash installment per console the past four generations. Now that’s expanded to the 3DS as well, and judging by the quality of that game, the Wii U version seems as if it won’t be a disappointment. Nintendo has gone out of their way to cater to the hardcore Smash crowd this time with features like stripped down arena dueling and Gamecube controller support. Yet they’re Nintendo, so the game will obviously be accessible to any type of player.

In a fall full of huge releases, Super Smash Bros. is Nintendo’s best chance to shine. Hopefully they deliver on more than just a promised release date.

Thats pretty much what I meant. I hated mortal kombat when all the moves became more complex.

there are a lot more complexities to the game now but nearly noone uses them except competitive smash players, and the great thing is, you don't NEED to use them to win.

Can't wait!

Does anyone know if the GC adapter works for Mario Kart 8? I've read Yes and No.

Also got my NNID successfully transferred to my new Wii U. That Black gamepad is soooo much nicer than the White one. Just looks and feels better.

i've read that it does, but haven't seen anything concrete. i guess it's wait and see. i'll definitely pick up the new smash branded GC controller though.

Same.

GC adapter for 20

or GC adapter and smash controller for 30... which is what I'll get

You can get the game, adapter and controller for 100.

That saves you $10, but for us Canadians, it's $100 for the bundle and $100 if you buy the game separately. No savings.

I should have known that from when n*gga stole my bike was a thing.

Have you played the Punchout stage with the boxing ring? I know the song is a theme from the game, it's just so funny hearing a dramatic interpretation of it.

• 2 weeks later...

sooo

SMASH BROS. CREATOR MASAHIRO SAKURAI TEASES NEW MODE FOR SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR WII U
Share.
But he doesn't just hand out the name.

BY EVAN CAMPBELLSuper Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai is teasing a new single-player mode for the Wii U version of Nintendo's brawler.

On Miiverse, Sakurai posted a picture of the menu screen for the new solo mode, which shows Master Hand and Crazy Hand. The two available options seem to showcase the opportunity to play as either one of the bosses.

Screen_Shot_2014-10-15_at_10.35.04_AM.pn

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS features an exclusive mode called Smash Run, so this tease by Sakurai is possibly hinting at the counterpart for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. For more on the differences between the two editions, be sure to check out IGN's wiki.

As for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Nintendo recently revealed the release dates for the brawler in North America, Europe, and Australia. In addition, there are a ton of new screenshots for the fighting game that show off the unlockable secret characters.

also, there will be wii u exclusive content., not sure if these modes are the exclusive content or if there will be more. either way, i can't wait for next month.

The game is great and well balanced and all. But the lack of story mode really sucks nuts. I had a lot of fun with it in Brawl (which I didn't have too much fun with otherwise), but forgetting the elaborate addition in that game, they couldn't even managed a minor version like the adventure mode in Melee.

It was a lazy decision, and a fairly egregious omission in my eyes. Especially with the 3DS, where you have a portable handheld that is clearly based in single player gaming. Had they added anything like what they had in the past, it would've probably made for the best Smash game to date.

There's only so much you can do with a single player game, and most of their modes feel redundant at best, and useless at worst.

The fighting is so good though. Makes it more of a shame that you can't do enough with it. Still enjoying picking up and playing the game a lot, but it feels so much more hollow than it needs to.

The game is great and well balanced and all. But the lack of story mode really sucks nuts. I had a lot of fun with it in Brawl (which I didn't have too much fun with otherwise), but forgetting the elaborate addition in that game, they couldn't even managed a minor version like the adventure mode in Melee.

It was a lazy decision, and a fairly egregious omission in my eyes. Especially with the 3DS, where you have a portable handheld that is clearly based in single player gaming. Had they added anything like what they had in the past, it would've probably made for the best Smash game to date.

There's only so much you can do with a single player game, and most of their modes feel redundant at best, and useless at worst.

The fighting is so good though. Makes it more of a shame that you can't do enough with it. Still enjoying picking up and playing the game a lot, but it feels so much more hollow than it needs to.

For me personally, I can almost forgive all of the thinness of content because it's the first ever portable Smash Bros. game. We can always wish for more, but I'm sort of glad there's a handheld Smash Bros. (that plays great) to begin with. I'm not too down on the fact the single-player is lacking. That being said, now that we know it works on handhelds, they're going to have to step it up big time when the next installment comes around.

I am more concerned about the console version. The Subspace Emissary mode was so good as a single-player (and multiplayer) mode and you could put tons of time into it. I'm not really satisfied with Sakurai's reason for omitting the game, and I fear there's going to be a lack of a gamemode that has the same sort of singe-player playability. I have a really bad feeling that the game is gonna be loaded with content, but it's all going to be beatable in 20 minutes.

Smash Bros. Wii U Features Stage Creator and Board Game Mode, Listing Claims

"Whether you're creating stages on the GamePad, competing in challenges crafted by Master Hand and Crazy Hand, or outwitting your opponents in a brand new board game mode...

Also, there is a Wii U Smash bros nintendo direct coming on thursday, so there should be more details revealed at that time.

Super Smash Bros. has given Nintendo plenty to celebrate with the 3DS version, but their Wii U edition is still on the way and bringing some exclusive game modes. The handheld version had only one exclusive mode, but it seems as though, thanks to an online leak, the Wii U will have several extra challenges, not all of which have been seen before in the series. In the meantime, the handheld version has been reported to be selling very quickly in every major territory the game is available.

Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U seems to have had their exclusive modes ousted by an online retailer’s listing. Amazon’s official page for the title has a product description that uncovers one returning mode and two brand new ones that were, apparently, not possible to do on the 3DS platform. Create-a-stage is the returning mode from Brawl and will integrate the gamepad and, presumably, new pieces based on existent stages for creation. The two other modes, described on the site as “challenges crafted by Master and Crazy hand” and another one involving a board game, are somewhat more mysterious at the moment.

Speculation surrounding the possibilities behind these modes for the Wii U Super Smash Bros. may not have to last long given the approaching release date and Masahiro Sakurai’s recent comments. The director of both games, Sakurai answered a few questions from Japanese fans recently and enlightened some on the arduous process that is making video games. “I’m not done yet,” he said in response to a question that asked how it felt to be done with development on both Super Smash Bros. titles. He assures that he is ready to give the needed sacrifices to have the game out on time while giving a window on an announcement. According to him, such an announcement, which may come in the form of a Nintendo Direct, will reveal the “true potential” of this iteration and will be coming quite soon.

Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS has paved the way for financial success for the upcoming Wii U version. Although the game was released Oct. 3 in America, two days worth of financial data was included in the September N.P.D. report, which measures sales in only the American territory. In those two days, the handheld version sold over 700,000 copies and made the game the fourth best-selling of the month behind titles that had multiple systems and many more days on the market, Destiny, Madden NFL 15 and FIFA 15 from one to three. Wii U and 3DS sales were also up, according to Nintendo, with the home console seeing a 50 percent increase over Aug. numbers behind strong Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8 sales as well as the coming Super Smash Bros.

Super Smash Bros. is approaching for the Wii U, and Nintendo seems to be in a position to unveil several pieces of interesting information for the title in the coming weeks. Pictures of a trophy shop for the Wii U edition have emerged, showing a slightly more graphically impressive version of the same concept present in the 3DS version. A slow leak of characters, although Nintendo has said that both stables will have the same fighters, has also come from company officials on the Miiverse. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is coming Nov. 21 in America, Dec. 5 in Europe and then Japan and Australia on Dec. 6.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/10/super-smash-bros-wii-u-game-modes-leaked/#i8LtxEI8W5ZQBgAx.99

Archived