The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] AV will be named head coach of NYR

Personally from who the candidates are I think Tort fits what needs to be done here. We need the top players pushed and not a coach who stands there while things fall apart. At least he is loud and will make the Sedins accountable in the playoffs. If you don't play hard you sit. Simple, and maybe he will do what should have been done along time ago. Split the Sedins up as they are too soft together when it comes to teams like Boston and LA.

I agree with this. Torts is the perfect fit for the Canucks and the media. Tony Gallagher is brutal and I would also like to see Torts tell him what some of us think of him.

I disagree with the " If Gillis hires the guy he should be fired" He has won a Stanley Cup with a team very similar to the way the Canucks are currently constructed.

Firstly, its not that the Twins "can't handle being yelled at". If they can take the abuse and name calling they get on and off the ice I have little doubt they could "handle" Torts just fine. Were I (and I assume other people that want nothing to do with Torts) take issue is that the screaming a-hole act isn't much of a motivator for people who are already consummate professionals and some of the fittest, hardest working players in the league. Yelling at guys who are already doing their job is not going to help push them

As for the second post, the twins aren't the issue playoffs or otherwise. They need some scoring support plain and simple. When they have to do all the heavy lifting themselves, the other team just throws everything at them and shuts them down. Particuarly in the tighter checking and less penalties playoffs. Despite all that they're still averaging almost a point a game in the playoff the last two crappty years. People blaming the twins for this teams recent failings don't know hockey from a hole in their heads.

watching him drill Tony G or Botchford would be extremely funny but would grow old after awhile.

I don't blame MG for at least giving his guy an interview, however, it looks like they are really interested in Stevens and I doubt its to make him an associate coach since he already has that spot in LA who are a real solid club

...That act gets thin in a real hurry. AV lasted here for so long in part because he gave players respect. Despite the silly conspiracy theorists who thought AV had "lost the room", there was very little dissension with him at any time with him at the helm. With Tortor-yella, the Canucks may get a temporary boost. But no one plays at their best for an extended time with high-pressure tactics. It's the Mike Keenan school of coaching,

One positive thing that Torts could bring to the Canucks is he is quite capable of dealing with a hockey mad city like the Vancouver. His soundbites would become a staple on local news after games. Instead of a camera being shoved in a players face after poor performance they would likely swarm Coach Torts, for some more abuse and youtube hits.

He's a solid hockey coach, he has a ring which proves that. Maybe one of the things this team is a off ice personality like Torts to alleviate some of the media pressure, which in the past has appeared to rattle certain players.

One positive thing that Torts could bring to the Canucks is he is quite capable of dealing with a hockey mad city like the Vancouver. His soundbites would become a staple on local news after games. Instead of a camera being shoved in a players face after poor performance they would likely swarm Coach Torts, for some more abuse and youtube hits.

He's a solid hockey coach, he has a ring which proves that. Maybe one of the things this team is a off ice personality like Torts to alleviate some of the media pressure, which in the past has appeared to rattle certain players.

Archived