The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2014, the Sedins, discussion

So, as you all know next summer the Sedins are due for a new contract. Given that they are slowing down and moving past their prime and into there older vet years, how much would be the very most you would find acceptable for re-signing them. Is 5 mil each too much, how bout 4. How many years do you give them, being as they likely willl want an NTC or clause where they must be moved together, if at all. By the 2015 season I have a hard time seeing them as anchoring the first line still, their minutes will likely decrease, as will production. Being as trading them is near impossible due to the clause to stay together, and come deadline day not many teams will be able to afford 12mil in salary for a playoff rental. So this means theyneither re-sign or check out free agency.

So discuss on, where do you see them in the longer term of the team, what are they worth on their next contract. Do you let them walk and fill the line up with young prospects who could really benefit from top six minutes?

I'd expect by the time they are due to resign they would be due for 4-5 on a 1-2year contract. I wouldn't expect anymore of an offer from a GM for a veteran player of their quality unless for unforeseen reasons they decline rapidly. I don't forsee them being traded and they will be put back to the second line by then one would assume

They were mentored by Linden, and will be the same as him. By that I mean 1-3 year deals at most with their price tag slowly declining. Imagine having them on the 2nd line and having a good 1st line as well? we might eventually have 2 scoring lines instead of just 1....

I see them signing for a little less, maybe in the $4-5M range for 2-3 years. Eventually they will be veteran 2nd liners and probably retire before they fall to the level of 3rd liners, which will likely be in their late 30s, possibly even early 40s, though I still expect them to retire in their late 30s.

So, as you all know next summer the Sedins are due for a new contract. Given that they are slowing down and moving past their prime and into there older vet years, how much would be the very most you would find acceptable for re-signing them. Is 5 mil each too much, how bout 4. How many years do you give them, being as they likely willl want an NTC or clause where they must be moved together, if at all. By the 2015 season I have a hard time seeing them as anchoring the first line still, their minutes will likely decrease, as will production. Being as trading them is near impossible due to the clause to stay together, and come deadline day not many teams will be able to afford 12mil in salary for a playoff rental. So this means theyneither re-sign or check out free agency.

So discuss on, where do you see them in the longer term of the team, what are they worth on their next contract. Do you let them walk and fill the line up with young prospects who could really benefit from top six minutes?

Aging!??!? Well, okay. True. No one gets younger, but the twins are only going to be 33 come September.

Back to back Art Ross's, Hart Trophy, Ted Lindsay Trophy, Olympic Gold, and many other pre NHL career awards. Also All Star appearances and instrumental in back to back Presidents Trophies for the Canucks.

They'll get a raise.

Archived