20 replies to this topic

#1 CALGARY!

CALGARY!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

So, as you all know next summer the Sedins are due for a new contract. Given that they are slowing down and moving past their prime and into there older vet years, how much would be the very most you would find acceptable for re-signing them. Is 5 mil each too much, how bout 4. How many years do you give them, being as they likely willl want an NTC or clause where they must be moved together, if at all. By the 2015 season I have a hard time seeing them as anchoring the first line still, their minutes will likely decrease, as will production. Being as trading them is near impossible due to the clause to stay together, and come deadline day not many teams will be able to afford 12mil in salary for a playoff rental. So this means theyneither re-sign or check out free agency.

So discuss on, where do you see them in the longer term of the team, what are they worth on their next contract. Do you let them walk and fill the line up with young prospects who could really benefit from top six minutes?

#2 'Nucks Fan from Montana

'Nucks Fan from Montana

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

I think they'll re-sign at reduced salaries. Gotta make room for marquee free agents, right?

#3 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

Sedins=Boss
End of discussion.

#4 ftmN

ftmN

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

I'd expect by the time they are due to resign they would be due for 4-5 on a 1-2year contract. I wouldn't expect anymore of an offer from a GM for a veteran player of their quality unless for unforeseen reasons they decline rapidly. I don't forsee them being traded and they will be put back to the second line by then one would assume
Posted Image
Thanks to (>'-')> for the sig.

#5 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,213 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:00 AM

Sedins go to Detroit to win a cup.

#6 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,868 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

Sedins will retire in Vancouver. I'm sure they would take a discount to continue playing here

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,389 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:56 AM

For me i wouldn't keep them because they are just at the end of the road. No point of keeping a dying bird.

Kevin Fiala will be a star.

#8 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

They were mentored by Linden, and will be the same as him. By that I mean 1-3 year deals at most with their price tag slowly declining. Imagine having them on the 2nd line and having a good 1st line as well? we might eventually have 2 scoring lines instead of just 1....

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#9 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:12 AM

I see them signing for a little less, maybe in the $4-5M range for 2-3 years. Eventually they will be veteran 2nd liners and probably retire before they fall to the level of 3rd liners, which will likely be in their late 30s, possibly even early 40s, though I still expect them to retire in their late 30s.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#10 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

For me i wouldn't keep them because they are just at the end of the road. No point of keeping a dying bird.

Ah, but the old "dying bird" is full of wisdom and advice. Look at how Linden bolstered many of the young players on our team. The Sedins credit him with a lot of their growth in their early years.

Even if they don't stay 1st liners, they will still provide a solid secondary offense and some good advice and mentoring to boot.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#11 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

GTFO.

#12 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

So, as you all know next summer the Sedins are due for a new contract. Given that they are slowing down and moving past their prime and into there older vet years, how much would be the very most you would find acceptable for re-signing them. Is 5 mil each too much, how bout 4. How many years do you give them, being as they likely willl want an NTC or clause where they must be moved together, if at all. By the 2015 season I have a hard time seeing them as anchoring the first line still, their minutes will likely decrease, as will production. Being as trading them is near impossible due to the clause to stay together, and come deadline day not many teams will be able to afford 12mil in salary for a playoff rental. So this means theyneither re-sign or check out free agency.

So discuss on, where do you see them in the longer term of the team, what are they worth on their next contract. Do you let them walk and fill the line up with young prospects who could really benefit from top six minutes?

I am asking them how they feel about being traded for a season and potentially being brought back on a greatly improved team after their contracts are up by offering them a generous come home contract. Sure you can flame me if you want but remember the net benefit from the Linden trade? Sure it didn't work out for us at the time but imagine being able to garner a couple of top prospects and or a couple of high draft picks and still end up having them back after their contract is up.

Edited by Warhippy, 12 June 2013 - 07:52 AM.

CIaude Giroux Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#13 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,285 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

Jesus! I bet you'd put down your dog too for a little arthritis in his joints as he gets older... :picard:

But back to the Sedins, rather than questions of everyone's mortality, they said in a recent Team1040 interview their plan is to stay here with maybe a year at the end of their careers where they go back to Modo to play. That means they'll get at least another 2-3 years of competitive hockey here so long as they can fit within the cap.

I guess a fair amount of this depends on what happens with the cap after this coming season. If it rises significantly then we'll have room to re-sign our UFAs like the Sedins without much issue. If it rises only a little bit or stays pretty close to where it is now, they'll have to take a little less if we need the room to improve. My guess is $4.5-5M over 3 years, although I could see a bit more as well.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year.

#14 Tiger Gino Brash Ryp

Tiger Gino Brash Ryp

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

I think they sign 3-4 years around 4-4.5 mil per. They will be the canucks version of alfredson. Probably slide down to the 2nd line.

#15 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

$3.5m for 2 years and they take on 2nd line duties. Use cap to get a 1st line winger.

#16 Henrik Kesler

Henrik Kesler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

I'd sign them to something like what Burrows has, 4 year 4.5 mil per. Even at that, I think it's an underpayment because I think they'll be 80+ point players for 3 more years and could get 6+ on the market, but thankfully the Sedins aren't in it for the money.

#17 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

$3.5m for 2 years and they take on 2nd line duties. Use cap to get a 1st line winger.

Lol serious with that $3.5m figure?? That would mean they're making less than burrows, does that even make sense? They will get a minimum $5M.

And people need to stop acting like the Sedins are 40 years old. These guys are only 32, still in their prime. They're both durable players and can play well into their late 30's. I'd expect a contract of 4-5 years at $5-5.5M each

Edited by Super_Canuck, 13 June 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#18 NexusRift

NexusRift

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Aging!??!? Well, okay. True. No one gets younger, but the twins are only going to be 33 come September.

Back to back Art Ross's, Hart Trophy, Ted Lindsay Trophy, Olympic Gold, and many other pre NHL career awards. Also All Star appearances and instrumental in back to back Presidents Trophies for the Canucks.

They'll get a raise.

#19 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

22.5M over 4 years for cap hit of $5.625M.

6M, 6M, 5.5M, 5M

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#20 MattJVD

MattJVD

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:39 AM

22.5M over 4 years for cap hit of $5.625M.

6M, 6M, 5.5M, 5M

Yeah something is this neighborhood seems most likely. Starts with a small decrease in salary and slowly shrinks throught the contract. Slightly lower cap hit.

#21 24K PureCool

24K PureCool

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

They probably going for a 2-3 year deal for about 4-5 mill. Didn't they say they would like to go back to modo before retiring from hockey all togheter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.