The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[HNIC] Calgary offered all their 1st round picks for Colorado's number 1

DeNiro

:picard:

No point trying to talk sense into a Flames fan. They obviously know what's best for their team...

It's not just about points you know. If having a 50 goal scorer was all it took to win a cup, the Caps would have at least 1 by now. Good teams are built on solid depth, not by selling the farm for one player.

Starting a team based around Hodgson, Eberle, and Voynov or on just Stamkos. Hmm. Nuff said is right. A good reason the flames are where they're at is because they don't understand the idea of depth.

Even if you go with the best case scenario in that position (which never ends up happening), the necessity of a franchise player is really important. If the Isles didn't have JT, they would still have a humongous hole at 1st line centre. If Tampa Bay made that deal, they would also have a hole at first line centre. MacKinnon can be that first line centre that Calgary can build around and since they are slowly rebuilding, they can keep adding quantity and depth pieces afterwards, like the Islanders are in the process of doing. Calgary has a decent prospect pool with plenty of good young depth players. What they need is a potential superstar that can carry the team for the next decade, and the potential reward is much higher than the risk, especially since Calgary is still in the process of rebuilding.

and depth can be acquired through FA signings or minor trades easily. You can't sign or trade for a #1 center nowadays.

and you are delusional if you don't think GMs would jump at the chance of getting Stamkos at just the expense of Hodgson, Eberle and Voynov.

and depth can be acquired through FA signings or minor trades easily. You can't sign or trade for a #1 center nowadays.

and you are delusional if you don't think GMs would jump at the chance of getting Stamkos at just the expense of Hodgson, Eberle and Voynov.

He's delusional? Actually the majority of GMs would take two potential 1st liners (Eberle already is a 1st liner) and a very good top 4 defenseman over one superstar. But I'm not surprised you're saying this, since Flames fans don't know what a good team is/how to build a good team.

oh so familiar scene, smashian kassian riding on his white horse to save De Niro :lol:

key word is POTENTIAL. Stamkos is a full-flight superstar that can score 50 year in and year out. Hodgson can't play defense or catch up to anyone, Eberle is an easily replaceable soft winger, Voynov had one good year+post season. Give your head a shake

^lol first line center in Buffalo, why did they try to trade Grigorenko AND a boat load for that #1 overall? Nathan MacKinnon

Or you know, you don't go all in the first year you get a top 10 pick. Not many opportunities come along to pick 3 times in the first round of a deep draft.

And if it is a slow rebuild like you said, why not tank next season for a player who is even more highly touted than Mackinnon?

They're not just a number 1 center away from being a contender. They're also a number 1 D-man, a goaltender, and all sorts of depth players away from getting there. Why not fill those holes now when you have multiple picks?

Seems to me teams that pick 3 times in the 1st round have done pretty well in the past.

This is the equivalent of

2008: Stamkos (1) for Filatov (6) + Eberle (22) + Tikhonov (28)

2009: Tavares (1) for OEL (6) + Schroeder (22) + Olsen (28)

2010: Hall (1) for Connolly (6) + Tinordi (22) + Coyle (28)

2011: RNH (1) for Zibanejad (6) + Biggs (22) + Philips (28)

2012: Yakupov (1) for Lindholm (6) + Maatta (22) + Skjei (28)

None of the teams with the first overall pick those years would have made a good deal by trading for that package. Great trade for Calgary, not so great for the Avs.

Potential goes a long way in the NHL, and MacKinnon has tons of it. He is a bonafide superstar that can be the face of the franchise for the next decade. It's a risk that most teams have to take especially since there hasn't been many busts at 1st pick since the 04/05 lockout.

Calgary doesn't need depth prospects, they need a guy who can be the next franchise player and a first line centre, a hole that they've had for what seems like forever. They need to add more for Colorado to bite though.

Just because Stamkos reached his potential before the other two, doesn't mean they won't keep developing into elite players. Eberle is a soft replaceable winger? Really? I didn't know 23 year old point per game players were so easy to acquire. How come the flames don't have any then?

Really, I don't even care if they do this. Better for the Canucks if the Flames stay a horrible team.

Keep drafting players like Jankowski, signing players to offer sheets that have to clear waivers, and trading valuable picks for a player that isn't even a clear cut first overall pick. :lol:

Sven Baertschi next year ;)

and already called you out on Jankowski. You THINK you know more than NHL scouts but you don't. In fact you know nothing but some crap TSN spews out at you

No point arguing with you lol. Anytime you have no point you just circle back to the "lol FLAMES ARE SO BAD" view. Classic delusional canucks fan

You're pretty much picking the three players who panned out the most around that position. That's like saying Colorado shouldn't trade the 1st overall pick for the 15th pick and two seconds because the team could end up with players like Karlsson, Stepan and Hamonic.

Sven Baertschi next year, or the year after, or the year after that... ;)

and already called you out on Jankowski. You THINK you know more than NHL scouts but you don't. In fact you know nothing but some crap TSN spews out at you

No point arguing with you lol. Anytime you have no point you just circle back to the "lol FLAMES ARE SO BAD" view. Classic delusional canucks fan

Baertschi will be a point a game player next year? And you have the nerve to call me a delusional fan. Wow. :lol:

So after putting up 13 points in 25 games, he's gonna explode and put up 80+ points next season? Hah, alright.

Last time I checked scouts had Jankowski ranked in the second round, so I'm not sure what you mean by me knowing more than the scouts. They all seemed to know Jankowski wasn't a 1st round pick.

There's nothing delusional about saying the Flames are bad. The evidence is right there to see.

Maybe Calgary is coveting Jones and not Mackinnon. Maybe, just maybe, they want to build their team around a franchise defenseman? I know they need a center but they are also fairly week on defense.

Still not worth the three picks but it could be the reason they are trying to deal with Colorado and not Florida.

Mackinnon isn't even the concensus number 1 though. It wasn't too long ago that many analysts had Drouin ahead of Mackinnon.

I would compare this draft to the 2009 draft, where the number 1-3 were all considered very close at the time.

Mackinnon could be Tavares or he could be Duchene. There's quite a few analysts that believe Drouin will be the better player.

Archived