The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[HNIC] Calgary offered all their 1st round picks for Colorado's number 1

DeNiro

I don't get it. After all he picks they've squandered on trades in the past this is the best scenario for any team wanting to rebuild. It makes no sense to give all that up. Especially with the divisions changing next season and Calgary facing much tougher competition in our division next year.

The only reason I can see Feaster doing this is because Flames ownership have lost their face of the franchise in Iglina and need a new face to market to sell tickets and a 1st overall pick is much better to sell then a few good pieces.

Wow, between you and Django, you almost have a full brain.

I never denied saying that. Even though it was partially sarcasm, something I'm sure you don't understand.

If you had read my posts after that comment, I went on to say it was unlikely he becomes as good as Crosby. ;)

But keep trying to derail the thread, and divert attention away from the boneheaded decisions Feaster is making. :lol:

I've already spent a page arguing my point, too bad you can't comprehend the importance of a first line center or the hit-and-miss nature of the draft. Right now just making fun of your hypocrisy as always :lol: using insults to make yourself feel better because you have nothing to argue back, now THAT'S gold

And what was your point exactly? You haven't really made one?

You still have yet to provide any evidence that Mackinnon is worth more than 3 first round picks. You know why? Because you can't. Because it's all based on your belief that Mackinnon will be a clear cut franchise centerman. Making an argument based on that assumption isn't a very good one.

My point on the other hand was that having 3 picks in a deep draft can fill more holes for Calgary this draft, than trading them all for one player will. You can argue that all you want, but it's true.

You know the reason why Buffalo can make the offer they did? Becuase they have a deep prospect pool. The flames on the other hand have a very thin prospect pool. That's why they should be re-stocking while they can.

Pretty sure I've used more common sense in this argument than you have. Saying Jankowski was a 1st round pick (despite him being ranked 43rd among NA skaters). Claiming Baertschi will be a PPG player next year because he was for a stretch of games at the end of this season. Claiming Stamkos is easily worth more than Hodgson, Eberle, and Voynov. It's not hard to argue back with statements like these. :lol:

And I believe you were the first one to toss an insult by calling me a "mini scout" (which you've now deleted). So don't talk to me about insults.

Just because Calgary has those late 1sts doesn't mean they'll use them well. Maybe they don't trust themselves to get something decent after taking Jankowski last year.

Calgary ownership is tight with Bettman (see lockout). Given Jones is likely to figure prominently in the NHL's marketing to African-Americans, it';s very likely that whoever gets him will get some favourable calls (assuming Calgary can ever make the playoffs, which doubtful).

While I think Calgary is better off using all 3 picks to stock the system, I don't think this is as bad of a move as many think. As an example, back in 2003 (arguably the best draft in history) LAK had 3 first. You would think that they would have gotten at least 2 solid players out of it, but the players they selected were Dustin Brown (13th), Brian Boyle (26th) and Jeff Tambellini (27th).

That said Calgary has some better picks than LAK, so a better chance to get a few better players, but if you can grab a player with a 90% chance of being a your next franchise player, rather that 3 that have a 60% chance to just make the NHL, I would go for it.

I don't see why people are saying this is so bad. If so, Colorado would have taken the deal.

You're talking about about obtaining a franchise player for a a pretty good pick and then two 50/50 shots. Even if two of those guys end up playing in the NHL the Flames most likely still have the better deal.

Look at the history of 20-30th draft picks. You get 1-3 solid players from those picks at most. Calgary could fluke out and end up getting 3 studs, but more than likely they'll be lucky to get one good players, opposed to the 1st overall which is almost guaranteed to be a superstar.

Calgary needs to keep all three picks IMO. Or what they could do, is package two of the three picks (6th+27th, 6th+22nd, 22nd+27th etc) along with a roster player or two and a prospect for the first. For example:

To Calgary: 2013 1st overall pick

To Colorado: Michael Backlund, Cory Sarich, Akim Ailu, 2013 6th + 27th overall

With that they can get Mackinnon as well as another solid player with 22.

Even though the value is probably off you guys get what I mean right?

Can't beleive how many people think this would have been a bad deal for Calgary. The reality is Colorado would be crazy to give up on a near sure star in Jones/Mackinnon for 3 later picks. The EhroffEffects post says it all.

Archived