The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nurse or Ristolainen?

Curious, I've seen different opinions. Two large defensemen that I'm sure the Oilers are taking a hard look at. Probably the two best defensemen behind Jones although you could argue for Zadorov.

Darnell Nurse 6'5" 192 lbs LH Sault Ste. Marie (OHL) 68 GP 12 G 29 A 41 P +15 116 PIMS

Rasmus Ristolainen 6'2" 189 lbs RH TPS (FIN) 52 GP 3 G 12 A 15 P -7 32 PIMS

Nurse. Saw him play the kids get eyes in the back of his head and is so smart on the ice. Added he's mean and of course he's experience on smaller ice surfaces. Nothing against European defenders but it just always seems to me that they take longer to develop the NA style of play, even if they tend to make superior puck possession defensemen

Ristolanen has already been playing with men in Finland and is probably a better overall player. He plays positional well at both ends of the ice and has ability both offensively and defensively.

Nurse is the more physical of the two and has the size to go with it. He projects as a punishing defender with offensive upside, but not as much as Ristolanen but still is a good skater for his size.

I don't think either would be a bad choice for anyone, both are mobile and good in their own end while being able to add points, just Ristolanen relies on hockey sense more while Nurse is more capable of an outright physical game.

Archived