The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Miks Indrasis invited to Canucks prospect camp

JE14

The thjng I like the best about this is it was his first year in the khl and he put up respectable numbers.

Guys like Radulov, Kuznetsov, and Tarasenko put up a point per game in the khl and everyone knows how highly skilled they are. Indrasis wasn't that far off with 26 points in 43 games, he could easily be around a point per game if he stuck around for another year or two if he kept developing at a good pace.

Even if he turns out to be just ahl material, it's still nice to see Gillis going after all these free prospects. Tanev has already worked out, if any of Indrasis, Mceneny, Archibald, Eriksson, or Lain even make the NHL it's a huge win.

Seems like a taller guy but more in the weight class of the Sedins. He has plenty of skill but didn't see much of him as a playmaker, more of a shooter. Definitely will be interesting to see him mover here and how he does on the smaller ice.

Seems like a taller guy but more in the weight class of the Sedins. He has plenty of skill but didn't see much of him as a playmaker, more of a shooter. Definitely will be interesting to see him mover here and how he does on the smaller ice.

A shooter is what this team needs.

Kid is still 22, hes developing in KHL which is awesome, but it lacks levels of development.

If he shows signs at camp to earn him a contract putting him on a diet and physical training program while developing with out coaches and system with our new farm team could be huge for him, he could easily pack on 5-15 pounds this summer and next.

I for one am excited, as this player looks to be offensively exciting, shows promise, is free and has no risk, hope this turns out to be a diamond in the rough!

You ever tried packing on 5-15 pounds of muscle legally?

At 22 most reach their genetic potential.

He is basically going to stay that size, unless he drinks "Lappy lockout juice" if you know what I mean.

He is basically going to stay that size, unless he drinks "Lappy lockout juice" if you know what I mean.

I have, and you're right.  5lbs of MUSCLE gain (read not just weight muscle gain meaning ~10lb overall because a 50/50 split of muscle and fat gain is about as good as you can do naturally) sans Vitamin S would be a very good 6 months work for someone who wasn't a professional hockey player and trained their ass off.  

Gaining appreciable weight and maintaning the requisite conditioning? Forget it.

with a 6 3 frame and canucks trainers and nutritionists he could easily gain 1 lb a week in the offseason of muscle, naturally, and yea I have and I have friends who have both naturally and assisted, anyone who says its not possible is ignorant, lazy, or just doesnt want to accept the fact it is possible. ihow can u say he wont get bigger at 22 with a proper diet and training regimen if it was his goal?

It depends on his physical goals and how it would affect his game, maybe he doesnt need to get bigger, but just get stronger, but to say it isnt possible to gain weight or muscle in 6 months time naturally after the age of 22 is absurd. And i said 5-15 pounds in two summers, thats not far fetched at all or impossible.

Anyways, I am excited to see how he does in camp, and Id love for him to sign with utica and take a little less money to develop on our farm and have a chance to make our club, would be awesome.

When I was 22 I barely weighed more than I did in high school. When I was 25 I was 20 pounds more than I was when I was 22. The thing is, I didn't change a thing in my diet, and have always gone to the gym. It just happens naturally. Of course it's not 100% muscle, but it doesn't have to be.

To think that a kid 6'3" had reached his max weight weighing less than 190 pounds is crazy.

with a 6 3 frame and canucks trainers and nutritionists he could easily gain 1 lb a week in the offseason of muscle, naturally, and yea I have and I have friends who have both naturally and assisted, anyone who says its not possible is ignorant, lazy, or just doesnt want to accept the fact it is possible. ihow can u say he wont get bigger at 22 with a proper diet and training regimen if it was his goal?

It depends on his physical goals and how it would affect his game, maybe he doesnt need to get bigger, but just get stronger, but to say it isnt possible to gain weight or muscle in 6 months time naturally after the age of 22 is absurd. And i said 5-15 pounds in two summers, thats not far fetched at all or impossible.

Anyways, I am excited to see how he does in camp, and Id love for him to sign with utica and take a little less money to develop on our farm and have a chance to make our club, would be awesome.

A trainer would you tell that in a whole year of training (5x a week) plus proper diet and rest, you're likely to only gain 5-10lbs of muscle CLEAN. With good genetics, it'll be 10-15lbs.

1lb a week in the off-season? Yeah.. No.

A trainer would you tell that in a whole year of training (5x a week) plus proper diet and rest, you're likely to only gain 5-10lbs of muscle CLEAN. With good genetics, it'll be 10-15lbs.

You don't think someone can gain 8 pounds over 2 months of training with a personal trainer and nutritionist? Every off season you hear stories of players doing exactly that.

It's not impossible to gain weight, or muscle, it's just you really have no clue what you're talking about.

When gaining weight at a rate of 1lb/week, any weight gained when in the presence of weight training will have a 50/50 split between muscle and fat gain and that is if everything is perfect. So 8 weeks of perfect training means he gains 4lbs of muscle and 4lbs of fat, but in reality he'd be lucky to gain 6lbs total because these things are not perfectly linear and gaining slower results in a more favorable ratio of muscle to fat gain when weight is put on.

Pretty much this. So many people who say "I gain 20lbs of muscle in X amount of months" are idiots. They don't know that at best 50% of the weight gained was pure fat, `20% was water, and the rest was actual muscle mass. There is a universe of difference between simply gaining weight (easy, just eat more) and building muscle which has to be much more calculated to achieve the desired result.

You don't think someone can gain 8 pounds over 2 months of training with a personal trainer and nutritionist? Every off season you hear stories of players doing exactly that.

He can gain 8lbs over the summer, but as stated it will NOT all be muscle...even when everything is perfect. The human body has adapted to not want to put on muscle because muscle is expensive to maintain (read burns a lot of energy making you inefficient) and not well suited for when we didn't know where our next meal was coming from or how big it would be.

It's not impossible to gain weight, or muscle, it's just you really have no clue what you're talking about.

When gaining weight at a rate of 1lb/week, any weight gained when in the presence of weight training will have a 50/50 split between muscle and fat gain and that is if everything is perfect. So 8 weeks of perfect training means he gains 4lbs of muscle and 4lbs of fat, but in reality he'd be lucky to gain 6lbs total because these things are not perfectly linear and gaining slower results in a more favorable ratio of muscle to fat gain when weight is put on.

Pretty much this. So many people who say "I gain 20lbs of muscle in X amount of months" are idiots. They don't know that at best 50% of the weight gained was pure fat, `20% was water, and the rest was actual muscle mass. There is a universe of difference between simply gaining weight (easy, just eat more) and building muscle which has to be much more calculated to achieve the desired result.

He can gain 8lbs over the summer, but as stated it will NOT all be muscle...even when everything is perfect. The human body has adapted to not want to put on muscle because muscle is expensive to maintain (read burns a lot of energy making you inefficient) and not well suited for when we didn't know where our next meal was coming from or how big it would be.

Dude, I can't gain weight to save my life. I gain 0lbs over the Christmas season, and I could fast for a month and not lose a thing. I don't get it. I am a carpenter, and I lift and move heavy things all the time. I'm in great shape, and a lot stronger than I look, but god damn could I use some more weight. 5'11", 145lbs, 27 years old.

Tell me what to do. I eat a tonne, so I'm kinda at a loss.

Dude, I can't gain weight to save my life. I gain 0lbs over the Christmas season, and I could fast for a month and not lose a thing. I don't get it. I am a carpenter, and I lift and move heavy things all the time. I'm in great shape, and a lot stronger than I look, but god damn could I use some more weight. 5'11", 145lbs, 27 years old.

If you're really serious about it go to Bodybuilding forums and read the stickies they will do wonders for you. In the simplest form though its calories in vs calories out, want to gain more then eat more.

I'm just over 6' and have gone from 135lbs at 18 to 155 at 25 to 180 at 30. I'm the guy who would not only take a bit of your dessert if you didn't finish it, but also your meal after I'd gone back for seconds myself, so there was nothing I could do around eating and exercise to gain weight no matter what I tried. My brother played football and raced motocross so even he tried to set me up with a routine to build muscle/gain weight but it didn't work apart from just over time on it's own.

The problem from there is now I'm 37 and 215 when I wanted to stop about 185-195, and what I eat and what I do for exercise does have an effect where it didn't before. The point as it relates to this thread is there could be very little Indrasis can do to affect his body weight at his age. He might be able to work on strength and fitness, but it's not so simple as maximizing a workout and diet for bulking up for everyone.

To everyone worrying about Miks being underweight:

Here's a link to the 2012 IIHF World Championship roster for Latvia: http://www.forecaste...ntid=WC&es=2012

He's listed there at 6'4" and 196 lbs.

Same goes for this article from the tourney: http://www.hockeysfu...ndrasis_latvia/

I've even seen Miks listed on a couple Russian sites at 6'5" (no weights given however).

So it seems the kid is might actually be still growing and filling out his frame. I was the same way at his age (actually didn't reach my full height and an adult body-type until I was well into my twenties).

I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually closer to 200 lbs by now.

Also, as a rule of thumb, it's best not to put too much stock into the heights and weights listed at places like hockeydb and eliteprospects (where Miks is listed at 187 lbs). Often, those measures are from the player's draft year (or their final year of eligibility). When you see the same exact numbers repeated on all the popular player sites, it usually means that there's only one set of measures widely available and it hasn't been updated much (if at all).

That's why you see more variety in the heights and weights listed for NHL players (try looking up a few pages on your favourite Canuck). They get weighed-in and measured regularly and their results are posted and updated frequently. So more information is available and there's better general accuracy on the websites (as long as you look for the most recent updates). For European league players, the information isn't as readily available and you often get old data posted on the player profiles.

Archived