The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How will the hiring of John Tortorella affect Kevin Bieksa?

Lipschitz

Possible Outcomes  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hope Bieksa can bring back his game. If the coaches have a brain they will reunite him with Hamhuis and let Bieksa fight more. Bieksa is at his best when he's physical and engaged emotionally. Our blueline needs more tenacity.

AV didn't tell Bieksa to stop fighting. He simply told him he didn't have to fight everybody that looked at him wrong. He was told he was more valuable on the ice than in the box for five minutes needlessly and to do a better job of selecting when to fight. As much as I like a good fight it's something I agree with completely.

This is true. I do think that Bieksa/AV went too far to the other extreme though because I think Bieksa is actually a better player and gets more engaged in games as a whole when he fights a bit more often than he has been.

I have a tough time believing though that Bieksa would have decided on his own not to stand up for the Sedins at some of those times when they got taken advantage of. I think he was on the ice for the Keith incident and in the finals against boston he did not seem to engage them much at all.

I for one am hoping we see him get back a bit of that mean streak. We have the other D on this team to cover for him while he is in the box for 5 minutes for keeping the other teams a bit more honest.

This is true. I do think that Bieksa/AV went too far to the other extreme though because I think Bieksa is actually a better player and gets more engaged in games as a whole when he fights a bit more often than he has been.

I have a tough time believing though that Bieksa would have decided on his own not to stand up for the Sedins at some of those times when they got taken advantage of. I think he was on the ice for the Keith incident and in the finals against boston he did not seem to engage them much at all.

I for one am hoping we see him get back a bit of that mean streak. We have the other D on this team to cover for him while he is in the box for 5 minutes for keeping the other teams a bit more honest.

He was on the ice for the Keith elbow. But I don't think he even saw it. he was following the puck in the air and went in on a scoring opportunity when the whistle went. Burrow, one of the most useless fighters on the team, was first to Keith and really did nothing more than push him. Bieksa tried to get at him but by that point he had another player on him and the ref holding him back from Keith.

When Marchand upended Daniel it was Ehrhoff and Ballard on the ice and when Marchand was punching Daniel it was Rome and Salo on the ice. Those types of incidents really need to be taken care of when they happen.

The problem is the opposition players immediately pair off to protect the guy in these types of incidents so it requires guys, Bieksa in this case, to be the one with the clear line to be there first. Otherwise it's just a wrestling match trying to get at the offending player. And going after him after the fact simply opens you up to instigator and game misconduct penalties. Not desirable for one of your top four d-men.

Anyone bashing Bieksa and his play should quickly check the Canucks record this past year when he wasn't in the lineup. He is WAY more important and beneficial to this team than he gets credit for. But this is CDC the land where the barely capable of keeping their job, horrible defenders who contribute next to nothing cough BALLARD cough are praised while talented defenders like Bieksa, Edler and Garrison are due for a lynching.

The possible suspension/game misconduct/penalty etc. would have been 110% worth it on Keith if you ask me. The message sent there was that the Canucks would not stick up for their own star players. It only reinforced the impression everyone had after the Boston series. At least with the Marchand one Ballard stepped up to the plate. Rome for all his supposed toughness did nothing.

I know the team was told to tone down the after the whistle stuff but really Bieksa needs to play with that edge. I would rather him do that and sacrifice a few minutes of ice time in the penalty box than never engage anyone so the coach can make sure he gets his 23 minutes of ice every game. It severely limits a big part of what makes him effective if you ask me. If there were other guys on the Canucks who could do that then it would take some of that off of him but there really aren't. Weise is a pansy and Sestito sucks at fighting. Plus you never want them out against anyone of value on the other team.

Against Boston SOMEONE (not necessarily only Bieksa) needed to step up and say enough is enough. Ballard was the only Dman who did anything and considering he didn't play much that is pretty sad.

It doesn't get worse than 0-4 in the playoffs though.......that is why you don't pay a supposedly groin injured guy 27 minutes.

I agree though that Bieksa will be just fine with Torts. He is a player that could use some tough love but overall he will be fine.

Archived