Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Larry Brooks writes interesting article about AV and Torts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
156 replies to this topic

#151 Me_

Me_

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

I call B.S.
Professionals making millions of dollars every year motivate themselves.That is what makes them successful.
The GM has to provide superior players that fit in to his club in order for the players to ultimately succeed as a team.

Really eh? Tou seem to have a bone against money... How is a 23 year old millionaire fully developed? Money in the bank does not mean a fully developed human being, nor does it mean. Success.

I know a few millionaires and I can tell you that some are out to lunch when it comes to life, motivation and self-determination. They're good at Law, medicine and so on but nothing else.

A coach teaches and motivates his players. Whether the players are 10, 20, 30 years old they need motivation and a clear understanding of what they need to do and accomplish.

A person is never fully developed for life on this Earth is too short.

LUCIC - HORVAT - KASSIAN

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - BURROWS

#152 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

I agree. And I also agree that AV's time here was up. I just don't agree with the "country club", "unmotivated", "favoritism" stuff that gets parroted so often by his critics.

No I don't either. I think some people put waaaaaay too much stock into the coach....or just need someone to blame.
Posted Image

#153 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,630 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

I honestly don't see "tons" of Torts hate. Most of us are hopeful, or cautiously optimistic...

I agree - I see some positive reasons and qualities he has to offer - I just don't buy the logic that a ballbuster is needed to teach these complacent slackers a lesson. I also don't buy the counterpoint that says that Tortorella is an unsophistocated head-case who will divide and conquer the locker room. In other words, the dominant for and against perspectives, imo, are pretty simplistic.

#154 Me_

Me_

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

No I don't either. I think some people put waaaaaay too much stock into the coach....or just need someone to blame.

... And I think Canucks fans are notorious for buying pre-defined ideas from whoever comes in. Burke dowsnt like Russians, no one likes Russians. All about the Process, thinking outside the box, Moneyball, Schneider over Luongo.

Followers of popular opinion.

LUCIC - HORVAT - KASSIAN

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - BURROWS

#155 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

... And I think Canucks fans are notorious for buying pre-defined ideas from whoever comes in. Burke dowsnt like Russians, no one likes Russians. All about the Process, thinking outside the box, Moneyball, Schneider over Luongo.

And here I thought popular opinion was "country club" atmosphere.
Posted Image

#156 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,825 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

I think a lot of fans are like that. If they hear something often enough, they decide that it's fact and state that there is "overwhelming evidence" to support it.

Some of us however, think for ourselves and are able to see through the haze of hearsay.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#157 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Really eh? Tou seem to have a bone against money... How is a 23 year old millionaire fully developed? Money in the bank does not mean a fully developed human being, nor does it mean. Success.

I know a few millionaires and I can tell you that some are out to lunch when it comes to life, motivation and self-determination. They're good at Law, medicine and so on but nothing else.
A coach teaches and motivates his players. Whether the players are 10, 20, 30 years old they need motivation and a clear understanding of what they need to do and accomplish.
A person is never fully developed for life on this Earth is too short.

So,equating professional hockey players to graduates of law and medicine is an interesting comparison.
Lawyers and medical professionals have not been plying their trade at elite levels since they were children.
Any NHL player at 30 years old that needs to be motivated is a lost cause and is not in these professional ranks.
His career is over or about to be.Even a terrible lawyer or doctor can find some place to ply his or her trade for another 35 years.
A coach is not a trainer or nutritionist and a pro does not need motivation.The pro player found it on their own.
I highly doubt Torts is going to develop any Canuck.Attempting to hang your hat as a motivator is one thing,pretending you are developing a human being with illusionary motivation is another.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.