The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Larry Brooks writes interesting article about AV and Torts

Canouver

"Accountability". 'Accountability'. Accountability.

AV allowed his veterans to be accountable to one another.

Torts says the 'Accountability' word twenty times and backs it up with nothing else.

One thing to say you expect it and another to attempt to extract it from players that refuse to give it to you,or worse,believe that accountability is not given to one that does not deserve to have it given to.

Accountability can not be extracted as it is a tangible quality.This should be one interesting five - year experience that we are about to embark upon and witness.

That's funny - I'm hearing the opposite claim here on a pretty regular basis - that the roster isn't good enough to win (stars in decline, wonky blueline without a "#1", no prospect pool, not a legitimate top 6, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah - and that more than a reset of coaches is necessary - and yet so many people also sold on the glaring contradiction, that it's a matter of a lack of motivation, accountability, blah, blah. Some trying to ride on both sides...

Because he was saying just how different the two teams are. Every team needs luck, health, and goaltending. But they also need a lot more than just that to win a cup. They need a coaching staff who can get the most out of guys at a critical time. They need players to step up on the big stage but to do so players need the coach to give them that opportunity.

Again, look at the history. It was his fourth year as coach of the Lighting. He developed and got the most out of a lot of younger guys leading up to that win, the team building each season along the way. He is understating his role and his value in the SCF victory for sure. He was saying that the Lightning did not know better and so they won. That is only part of the story though. He turned them into a TEAM that could win.

Your argument only makes AV and the Canucks look worse though. The Canucks are an older veteran team though who do know better. So there is really no comparison to make there.

Lack of accountability, obvious lack of motivation an desire to go the extra mile, whining about not needing a "crack the whip" coach = country club environment FOR SURE. It was alluded to several times today to if you were paying attention.

That is the trouble with people enamored with AV. They want to assign all blame elsewhere and all credit to him. It doesn't work that way though. Any team with as much talent as the Canucks that wins 1 of 9 playoff games over two years has some major issues going on somewhere along the line. AV went completely stale and it was painfully obvious.

Tortorella said he came into a good situation, which it is. He also said they couldn't get over the hump unless there was accountability throughout the locker room. I mean,, do you need a roadmap to figure out where he was coming fomr or going to with those comments?

yes it does.

anyone who thinks a team can make it to the SCF, or even make the playoffs in the NHL, with a country club work ethic are utterly oblivious.

that statement alone defines an arrogant and insulated armchair - so far removed from the actual rigours of reality, that combining those words alone - NHL athletes and country club - begs for immediate dismissal.  Laughable, really.  It's transparently ignorant - to persist, repeatedly, imo indicates exceeding arrogance.  I'd love to know what kind of condition those talkers are in...   The Sedins and Bieksa are world class, elite athletes - anyone who has managed to achieve anything, even many levels below them, knows what kind of work that takes, regardless of the gifts they were given - they may be born gifted, but no one is born conditioned.  The simple example of conditioning alone - what it takes to attain and sustain the level of conditioning it takes - to arrogantly belittle that work as if 'country club' would do - is assinine.

You know, it's funny that you mention that. I was one of those who "achieved something, many levels below them".

When I was 16, I played in a Provincial Championship game. On the line was a trip to the National Championships in Montreal. (Verdun, actually)

Between the 2nd and 3rd periods of that game, I was so pumped up with the thought of winning, I honestly couldn't tell you what our coach said, or if he even said anything at all.

All I know for sure is that I didn't need any outside stimulus to get me motivated to play that period. I wanted it so bad, I could taste it.

I can only imagine how it must feel with the Stanley Cup on the line...

You know, it's funny that you mention that. I was one of those who "achieved something, many levels below them".

When I was 16, I played in a Provincial Championship game. On the line was a trip to the National Championships in Montreal. (Verdun, actually)

Between the 2nd and 3rd periods of that game, I was so pumped up with the thought of winning, I honestly couldn't tell you what our coach said, or if he even said anything at all.

All I know for sure is that I didn't need any outside stimulus to get me motivated to play that period. I wanted it so bad, I could taste it.

I can only imagine how it must feel with the Stanley Cup on the line...

No doubt it took you a hell of a lot of work to be capable of playing at that level.

I'm all for some pumping up nevertheless, cohesion in the dressing room, a little extra motivational fire - what I'm not interested in hearing are pretenses to know that 'cracking the whip' is necessary - that's self-righteous ballbuster talk, and it's the kind of thing that might be necessary in extremely rare cases, particularly rare in the case of proven, elite professional athletes. Creating whipping boys or railing on players on a regular basis is counterproductive, and I doubt anyone who has even been in a context where that is taking place could mistake it for 'team-building'. It gets very old in a hurry and the impact wears off as quickly. I don't see Tortorella being anywhere near that simple or unsophistocated - I think the picture painted by guys like Brooks is oversimplified and undialectical.

Pushing, motivating, supporting in a positive sense is something else entirely, and anyone can make use of that, no matter how hard they are already working - the idea of always looking for ways to build forward momentum, to continue to develop no matter how excellent that player is - imo there are few better examples of consistent progress in that sense than the Sedins. In that sense, I like what Tortorella has to offer and think he could be a good fit in that sense, a new chapter - and I also appreciate (the counterpoint to his reputation of running his players down) - his aggressive defense of his players when people talk crap about them. If he can focus on that side of the equation, he'll do some valuable team building, and run counter to the garbage that is common in this market. I think the timing is right for that kind of reset - and in the kind of energetic /injection/backing that the team could probably use at this particular point.

Archived