The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chicago wins the cup >.<

Let me put it this way, Chicago played a skilled puck possession game all season and all playoffs. They played within the rules, didn't run the goalies all series long, no cheap shot Ladd hits behind the play, and I am just happy for the game of hockey that skill and tenacity beat the shear will to do whatever it takes to win on the fringes of the rules of the game.

Rask was rattled when he let the tying goal in. Looked like a mess, then completely over-committed to the point shot, and was out of position.

Oh well, at least the Hawks won it with speed, skill, and...well, diving. Three things that we happen to be equipped with.

Strangely I'm happy to see Chicago win. Outside of Keith, who is still a POS, their core has matured to likeable skilled players this year. Kane being a perfect example. Put them on the ice with the Canucks and I'll hate them but outside the rivalry I really like the way they play and it's good to see a skill team win again.

On the flip side I don't like anything about Boston. Players, fans (in general), the way the league panders to them and the way they play over the line with impunity. Nothing made me happier than seeing them come so close then blow it in the final minute. Twice.

Congratulations to the Hawks and look forward to 'Hating' you again next year ::D

Great to watch Boston choke like that. Up 2-1 in the game, up 2-1 in the series and they lose.

It will be interesting to see what teams do now. After LA and Boston won Cups, everyone wanted to get bigger and more physical, but Chicago proved what I've been saying for a long time - the only way to beat size and physicality is with speed, and that's how the Blackhawks won this Cup. Boston was having its way with the lesser, skilled teams, but Chicago simply blasted past their slow defenders and created tonnes of scoring opportunities that way.

This is why it's stupid to just keep drafting and getting big bodies, you need a mix of everything. Chicago simply had the perfect mix. They had a great spectrum of size (Kane - Bickell), age (Handzus - Shaw) and even types of players (Bolland - Toews - Sharp), in most cases even playing on the same line or pairing.

Wowww what an ending!

I was listening to the game in the car and couldn't believe my ears. Horrible turn of events for the Bruins, but congrats to the Hawks. The most impressive part about that team is how they backed up their reputation. They were a strong team on paper, they won the President's Trophy, and they backed it up by winning the Cup

Hearing about all the injuries and how hard both teams battled to be here just gives me more respect for hockey players. They don't make excuses. They fricken battle till the very end.

But it makes me question the Canucks. It's one thing to play through an injury but it's quite another to still be effective while playing through an injury. Our players get hurt and that's it. They sink into oblivion and are invisible on the ice. A guy like Toews gets injured and he gets 2 huge points in the Cup winning game. I don't see us having that kind of character. That's what it takes to win and I don't see us doing it.

Anyways, congrats Hawks. Well deserved.

Wowww what an ending!

I was listening to the game in the car and couldn't believe my ears. Horrible turn of events for the Bruins, but congrats to the Hawks. The most impressive part about that team is how they backed up their reputation. They were a strong team on paper, they won the President's Trophy, and they backed it up by winning the Cup

Hearing about all the injuries and how hard both teams battled to be here just gives me more respect for hockey players. They don't make excuses. They fricken battle till the very end.

But it makes me question the Canucks. It's one thing to play through an injury but it's quite another to still be effective while playing through an injury. Our players get hurt and that's it. They sink into oblivion and are invisible on the ice. A guy like Toews gets injured and he gets 2 huge points in the Cup winning game. I don't see us having that kind of character. That's what it takes to win and I don't see us doing it.

Anyways, congrats Hawks. Well deserved.

A bit off topic, but when will the BoG finally ban Bettman from handing out trophies? For all the crying the League does about trying to sell the game, what use is there in capping off the most important game of the year with a chorus of boos when Bettman makes his little speech and hands out the hardware? Why can't a different NHL legend do the honour each year?

Archived