The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MG on Team 1040 at 10:45 am Today

CanucksFanMike

Give him credit. He realizes that the demand from other teams to trade up is higher than to trade down, so if his 24th is for sale he may start a small bidding war which may in the end favour us.

EDIT: I wish he would take the same approach with the goalie situation, since everyone wants Schneider...

I would never trade down. That is a fool's game. There is too much confirmation bias...people tend focus on just the hits and not the numerous misses outside the first round. Finding a diamond in the rough rarely happens. Picks outside the top 25 have a poor success rate of making AND lasting in the NHL. I don't have an exact number but I have heard its less than 15%.

Imagine what we could land with Schneider, and compare that with Luongo. It only makes sense to trade Schneider. That being said, it is unfortunate that MG put both goaltenders into this situation and is pretty much just looking to trade Luongo.

I'd rather have MG trade from a position of excess (goaltending, defence) to land either help up front for the top 6 or a higher draft pick. This draft is insanely deep and a top 10 pick this year essentially translates into a top 3/5 pick in any other regular draft. Nichushkin, Barkov, and possibly even Jones or Drouin could be had if MG is willing to trade a guy like Edler or Schneider along with a few other minor pieces.

Our illustrious GM better do something with LU soon and make some moves, Im getting tired of this guy and his do nothing approach.

He has done nothing to give us long suffering fans any hope except hire a new coach and is using that as an excuse for sitting around on his hands.

Wake me up when this dufus does something,,by then I should have a beard as long as Rip Van Winkle.

Even if this is an alleged deep draft, I do not have faith that this team's scouting staff has the ability to land two quality players...let alone just one. I would take the higher odds of getting a better player at 24 rather than hoping they can magically find two 2nd rounders who pan out.

Gillis is too gutless to do anything major. He is going to stand pat, add some iffy players trying to catch lightning in a bottle and then tell everyone the prices were too high. To top that off we will still have Luongo and Schneider in jan 2014.

I agree that our scouting has been relatively poor but that doesn't preclude us being able to do well in this draft especially if we are only talking about moving down a couple of spots to grab a 2nd rounder.

Who we have at 24 might be much lower in this draft on other people's lists. there is so much spread this year, far more than in other years.

BTW, 'magically' is not a good description for what well paid professionals should be doing well. That's a simplistic view point.

Guest Pinchin

Our drafting is not is as "bad" as it is "not good". We are middle of the road when it comes to drafting, we have some good players on our roster that we drafted such as Ryan Kesler, Cory Scneider, Kevin Bieksa, Alex Edler, Hank and Dank not to mention Cody Hodgson and Michael Grabner. Could it be better? Of course, but it could most certainly be worse. I'm glad we all have such high expecations.

It makes sense to everyone except Gillis. Why, because he is so uncomfortable in a bargaining position he would rather play out Luongo for next to nothing (where he has Lu's contract as an excuse) The guy is a dud!

Our drafting is not is as "bad" as it is "not good". We are middle of the road when it comes to drafting, we have some good players on our roster that we drafted such as Ryan Kesler, Cory Scneider, Kevin Bieksa, Alex Edler, Hank and Dank not to mention Cody Hodgson and Michael Grabner. Could it be better? Of course, but it could most certainly be worse. I'm glad we all have such high expecations.

If (and it's BIG if) Gillis is forced to put him on waivers there's about a 0.00000001% chance that Florida doesn't take him.

I also think that if it gets to that, he starts looking very seriously at trading Schneider and mending fences with Lu.

Archived