The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Corey Schneider is in play

i swear, the way things are going, by the time gillis finally gets axed this team will be an enormous cluster-expletive. the team will be finishing in the bottom third of the league and the cupboards will be barren of good prospects.

he's scorching the earth before he goes out.

No dispute there but this is my issue

1. Its reactionary. MG was forced into this.

2. If he was going to trade Schneids it should have been done earlier to avoid this mess

3. He looks like a total bafoon now

4. His bargaining position is much weaker than if 1 or 2 weren't there. ie every team in the league knows they HAVE to move a goalie or buyout which lowers either goalie's value.

5. We should be getting a Coutourier and a #11 overall back but I doubt we will

see number 3

I don't hate LU, and preffer Schneider as our #1, but I do hate that we would lose a quality goaltender for nothing when Schneids could bring us a massive return. He could help re-stock the prospect pool significantly. Would rather trade him to an east coast team though.

Putting Schneids on the market makes all other goalie talk ie. Smith, Miller, Lou non-existent for now. Younger, cheaper, and, arguably, better all around fit than all three.

Putting aside how GMMG has handled this entire goalie trade, a bidding war could easily happen now and this is the right move to make. I, for one, am glad that he isn't afraid to make this kind of a move if need be. He is obviously looking to improve this team, regardless of who's feelings he hurts.

Canucks still have leverage though. There will be teams competing for Schneider, trying to out bid each other. And other teams know that if the return for Schneider isn't suitable the Canucks could just buyout Lu and keep Schneids. I mean that's the Canucks last option but the compliance buyout gives the Canucks an option. Without the compliance buyout then yes I would agree with you, the Canucks would be stuck between a rock and a hard place. But the Canucks do have an out.

Teams know that if they want Schneider (a franchise goalie) this is their only chance.

Finally gillis has realized he isn't getting anything for LU. Most of us fans been saying trade Schneider instead for a while now!! Lets get it done MG!!

I'd want more from the oilers since they're in the same div as us! Or get them in a bidding war with the islanders and flyers!

Putting Schneids on the market makes all other goalie talk ie. Smith, Miller, Lou non-existent for now. Younger, cheaper, and, arguably, better all around fit than all three.

Putting aside how GMMG has handled this entire goalie trade, a bidding war could easily happen now and this is the right move to make. I, for one, am glad that he isn't afraid to make this kind of a move if need be. He is obviously looking to improve this team, regardless of who's feelings he hurts.

I don't think GMMG screwed up trading Luongo/managing assets as much as he was forced to deal with the results of the lockout and CBA negotiation. The arrival of compliance buyouts on the scene changed the dynamics of trying to deal Luongo.

I do like the timing of this "Schneider's available" message though -- takes advantage of the draft/free agency trade momentum that many GMs seem to get caught up in. Best time to create a bidding war.

Keeping Luongo will have other cap implications though. Does doing so guarantee Ballard and Booth buyouts?

Archived