The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Recently in and interview with JB, Don Taylor asked if "who" drafted a player had any impact on those that are brought up or not. JB denied it of course but a couple of days later Gallagher let it slip that both Skinkaruk and Gaunce had been discussed with other teams as possible trades. Seems like a contradiction

Because they're worthwhile assets? You have to give to get, squire.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Why?

Regardless of how much I like him, I'd trade Shinkaruk for say Drew Doughty in a heart beat ;) :P

Not saying that's remotely realistic, just illustrating (extremely) that just because you like a guy, doesn't me you can't/won't/shouldn't trade him. A team's bigger than any one player.

It's not a common occurrence for minor leaguers to be included in meaningful deals but I guess you can say the same about  ...Virtanen or McCann heck any one.... I suppose

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

It's not a common occurrence for minor leaguers to be included in meaningful deals but I guess you can say the same about  ...Virtanen or McCann heck any one.... I suppose

As I touched on in my edit, you need to take anything Tony G say's with a boulder sized grain of salt as well.

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Actually it is for deadline deals. One team wants a proven asset as a buyer while the other wants picks and prospects as a seller.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Recently in and interview with JB, Don Taylor asked if "who" drafted a player had any impact on those that are brought up or not. JB denied it of course but a couple of days later Gallagher let it slip that both Skinkaruk and Gaunce had been discussed with other teams as possible trades. Seems like a contradiction

Wow. If I could make leaps of logic like that, I would feel like Superman.

8 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Wow. If I could make leaps of logic like that, I would feel like Superman.

I do believe Superman leaps tall buildings.  Is there a superhero known for brains?  Wonder Woman?  No that's balloons.  :lol:. It's game night, been tipping them all ready.  A fan needs to be properly prepared for this team.:emot-parrot:

Where is Shinkaruks value right now compared to the day we drafted him up, down same? 

AHL all stars are not easy to find. His season is promising, but he still is a fair number of points shy of the .7ppg AHL career number that projects players as top 6 forwards and top 4 Dmen. There's also a 150 game cap on that projection or something. He would need 36 points in his next 32 games to hit the .7ppg mark by game 150 of the regular season. I dono if he'll get there, but I hope so. 

13 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I really like Shink but I have a feeling he's going to get traded eventually. 

I don't trust JB on both Shonkaruk and Gaunce.  I think he will add them to Hamhuis and Vrbata.  I'm okay with it, providing the return is young and has elite potential.  

31 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Where is Shinkaruks value right now compared to the day we drafted him up, down same? 

AHL all stars are not easy to find. His season is promising, but he still is a fair number of points shy of the .7ppg AHL career number that projects players as top 6 forwards and top 4 Dmen. There's also a 150 game cap on that projection or something. He would need 36 points in his next 32 games to hit the .7ppg mark by game 150 of the regular season. I dono if he'll get there, but I hope so. 

Last year he was not only a rookie pro but recovering from significant surgery.  This year he's at .86ppg -- that is a lot more relevant.

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't trust JB on both Shonkaruk and Gaunce.  I think he will add them to Hamhuis and Vrbata.  I'm okay with it, providing the return is young and has elite potential.  

I have the same feeling. I heard Benning interviewed on TSN 1040 recently and he was explicitly asked, in effect, whether he was favoring his own acquisitions over the Gillis draft picks. Of course he said "no". What else would he say. But his answer did not give me a lot of confidence as he had nothing positive to say about either Guance or Shinkaruk (or Zalewski).

I agree that he is probably looking for an opportunity to trade one or both of them.

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I really like Shink but I have a feeling he's going to get traded eventually. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

both former first round picks. he better get something good for both of them if he's trading them. I don't know why he wouldn't keep them. Shink and Gaunce to me seem like pretty good prospects. Gaunce would make an excellent fourth line centre. Shink if given the opportunity would make potentially a very good top six player. if Benning trades them both. he will in my opinion need to justify the reason for doing so. 

11 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I have the same feeling. I heard Benning interviewed on TSN 1040 recently and he was explicitly asked, in effect, whether he was favoring his own acquisitions over the Gillis draft picks. Of course he said "no". What else would he say. But his answer did not give me a lot of confidence as he had nothing positive to say about either Guance or Shinkaruk (or Zalewski).

Yet he signed him to an NHL contract for the rest of the year.

Benning said he wants Shinkaruk to establish himself with 30 goals this year, only his second in the AHL.  You do not trade away those kind of prospects unless you are getting something pretty decent back.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB will be sniped before he gets a chance to pull the trigger on trading on my boy Shinkaruk.

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Tatar, Pearson, Toffoli all spent 4 years in the AHL, and Nyquist 3.  Shinkaruk and Gaunce are just in their second -- what's the rush?

Those guys all SUCK.  Okay, they are good, but ... I can't think of a but.  Crap.  :wacko:. I don't want to watch our same old core guys for two more seasons.  :bigblush:

Archived