The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

This is so hilarious. Edmonton and Calgary fans are ripping on him and saying that he was a bad pick etc and that he'll be Rob Schremp 2.0... So jealous we got him at 24. I bet if the Canucks had the first overall pick and took a Crosby type player, they would be criticizing him too just because it's the Canucks. Funny stuff.

Ironic....didn't Edmonton draft Schremp?

Stoked for him to be our next 50 g scorer. Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Schroeder, Kassian, Jensen, all top 6 players in my books

Shinkaruk Horvat Kassian

Gaunce Schroeder Jensen

Blomstrand LaBate/Mallet/Cassels Grenier

Archibald Lain Mallet

Plus we are going to have another 3 first rounders before we even, get close to having a majority youth lineup. If the scouts stay on the ball and we have some more luck we could easily throw in another top 6 player and 2 top 4 D prospects

I'll be honest I don't see the upside in him as much as others. He reminds me of a goal scoring version of Schroeder. I think he has the upside of a Tyler Ennis.

While its fine to have an opinion of players, I find it odd that people see Shinkaruk as small and associate that with a lessened or negative perception.

For instance, Tyler Ennis is listed at 5`9 and around 150-160lbs. So far in his short NHL career he`s averaged 0.66 ppg. Not bad for a very undersized forward.

Call me crazy, but Hunter (5`10 180 lbs) strikes me as more of a Jeff Skinner (5`11, 190 and 2 years older), than Tyler Ennis.

I don`t expect to see him in the NHL this season, but those hands are filthy and if he has the desire that scouts are saying, his skill should translate well.

While its fine to have an opinion of players, I find it odd that people see Shinkaruk as small and associate that with a lessened or negative perception.

For instance, Tyler Ennis is listed at 5`9 and around 150-160lbs. So far in his short NHL career he`s averaged 0.66 ppg. Not bad for a very undersized forward.

Call me crazy, but Hunter (5`10 180 lbs) strikes me as more of a Jeff Skinner (5`11, 190 and 2 years older), than Tyler Ennis.

I don`t expect to see him in the NHL this season, but those hands are filthy and if he has the desire that scouts are saying, his skill should translate well.

Since we are merely repeating what sports writers have already said about these players I will go out on a limb and suggest his upside is more along the lines of a Jordan Eberle. Why not, even if I haven't seen him play, I read it somewhere.

Since we are merely repeating what sports writers have already said about these players I will go out on a limb and suggest his upside is more along the lines of a Jordan Eberle. Why not, even if I haven't seen him play, I read it somewhere.

Well some people, myself included, have seen him play a few times. Granted I wasn't watching as closely as a scout would or for a player already drafted by the Canucks, but his skill set demands you notice him most times he steps on the ice.

To be honest I really saw little chance of him A) falling to the 24th spot and B ) Vancouver picking him. By adding a very safe and secure pick in Horvat, that opened the door for Vancouver to draft a very high skilled, albeit moderately sized winger. Something I believe they would have passed on if they had only 1 first round pick.

Oh and I'd love for him to become Eberle, Skinner, or any number of comparable elite talent. But we'll just have to let him be Hunter and see how it goes.

Certainly fun to speculate though

Jeff Angus@anguscertified 29m

A good read on #Canucks prospect Hunter Shinkaruk from @TysonGiuriato: http://ow.ly/mBQ92

“I think Hunter’s goal is to make the NHL this year coming up,” he said. “I honestly think he will have that as a goal even though he was picked 24th and not first, he believes that he can do it.

Off the ice, Clouston describes Shinkaruk as a straight-laced kid that is very well respected and very professional in his demeanor.

Archived