The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

+1, not many around here are probably old enough to know who you refer too. 94 was the best Canucks team ever :-)

I just went fly fishing at the Stelako river yesterday and was talking to some guy who claimed to grow up with trevor. He said he hated him because he made everyone else on the rink look like 5 year olds lol

Guest Dasein

Despite being drafted this year, this will be Shinkaruk's 4th year of Junior hockey as he is a late 1994 birthday. The eligibility rules for the AHL for players drafted from the CHL are as follows: A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility. Shinkaruk will fulfill both of these terms after this next season, so in fact he will only play 1 more season in the WHL before he makes the jump to the AHL.

Thanks, I was wondering about that - whether Hunter has 2 years in the CHL or just 1 year then to the pros because he's a late 94.

Watching this kid's highlight reminds me a lot of Cody Hodgson with the Battalion in 2009. Difference being that Hunter seems to be more of a showman. Do guys think that is something the coaches would encourage or have him tone down?

encourage it, so he'll be like the canadian patty kane, with a smaller douche gland

He's gonna be really good. I think this camp was an eye opener for him though. He has a lot of natural talent which has allowed him to be successful without working as hard physically as other guys, from what I gathered. That means if he can pick up his work ethic off the ice, we could see leaps and bounds of improvement from him on the ice... Could be scary good if he gets to peak physical condition, improving his speed, stability, and creating a harder shot. Nice to know he has a lot of room to grow as well. might end up being 6'.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a look at Shinkaruk and this kid has unusual skill. His passion is unbelievable. He has breakaway speed and soft hands.His shot is fantastic.

He reads and plays the game at a top speed few can. If we can curb his attitude and get him to buy into improving himself, he is the steal of this draft.

If we develop him properly and he goes along with it, he should have been drafted in Monahan's position.

I'm guessing he's referring to his enthusiasm, particularly his goal celebrations. Myself, I'm fine with it. We could use some brash enthusiasm on this team.

absolutely. I love the cellys. shows the kid loves to score. I guesse its all about when you celebrate right? OT goal that's acceptable. 7-1 game not so much.

Archived