The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

OMG. I don't want to see Bieksa back. He's been a loyal trooper for us. But the last game has shown that he may be past his prime, and on a downhill swing. At this rate, he's a liability to the team. He's not helping them win.

And that last pairing is dreadful. Not sure why we continue to roll with them. Sbisa needs to be paired with someone else. How about Sbisa and Clendenning?

Bieksa traded for picks?

Yup agree 100%, I just really hope we dont stay loyal to him just because he's played for us for 10 years. I think that sbisa Clendening pair could work. I really hope we sign a first pairing dman

I don't remember when he was put on the top line but here are his stats in the past 17 games (incl. the playoff game today):

17GP

10g

5a

15pts

+11

Thanks for the update, wonder if he'd be able to force his way and stick on with the big club next season?

Great to see him, Jake, Bo, Sven, Thatcher, Hutton, etc. as the future of this team, and how they both have skill and can play the North American game! With some defensive studs we'd be good to go!

Thanks for the update, wonder if he'd be able to force his way and stick on with the big club next season?

Great to see him, Jake, Bo, Sven, Thatcher, Hutton, etc. as the future of this team, and how they both have skill and can play the North American game! With some defensive studs we'd be good to go!

I doubt it. Daniel, Baertschi and Higgins are all ahead of him in the depth chart. Daniel is Daniel, Baertschi must be in the NHL because of waivers, and Higgins is a veteran (Willie loves those) who is well suited to a bottom-6 role. Higgins has played waaaaay out of his comfort zone this year. I wouldn't want Shinkaruk on the 4th line either, especially if there are top line opportunities for him in Utica.

I doubt it. Daniel, Baertschi and Higgins are all ahead of him in the depth chart. Daniel is Daniel, Baertschi must be in the NHL because of waivers, and Higgins is a veteran (Willie loves those) who is well suited to a bottom-6 role. Higgins has played waaaaay out of his comfort zone this year. I wouldn't want Shinkaruk on the 4th line either, especially if there are top line opportunities for him in Utica.

yep. totally agree. higgins is a solid third line player. fantastic fourth line player.

baertschi will be on the 2nd LW guaranteed because if he's not, he's waiver eligible. he'll be on the team come next season.

daniel will be on the 1st LW until his contract is up.

It'll be good for Hunter to be in the AHL for a couple of seasons. eventually, Baertschi will make it onto the top line, where Daniel is today.

2LW will be up for Shink to take it.

I think Higgins will be traded for either a 2nd round pick (ideal) or a third round pick (most likely).

I think Higgins will be traded for either a 2nd round pick (ideal) or a third round pick (most likely).

wouldn't mind a third in this year's draft class.

a second would be fantastic, but i don't think teams would pay to get higgins for that.

I agree. I like Higgins for his work ethic but he is just so patchy when it comes to scoring and he seems to disappear totally in the playoffs.

I think JB will have plans for far better options next season. I'm not so sure either that Willie will want to keep him in the team over someone like Shink. Willie is having his eyes opened on some players, now that he sees them in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong I don't think any of our players have been poor (not even Bieksa ) but the playoffs have shown that some of our players are reaching the time where they are just not quite up to it any more.

I still thought and I still think they are good enough to beat Calgary but they can't afford any more bad luck.

Our depth on LW right now is Daniel, Higgins, Matthais, and Kenins. Burr and Richardson can also play there when not assigned elsewhere. With Baertschi coming up for sure next year, Shinkaruk and Gaunce looking much more ready, it's time to thin the herd. At least two of Higgins, Matthais and Richardson need to go: probably the latter two but I'd prefer the first two.

Archived