The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Is that really him? The kid in the video is holding the stick like a right-handed shot but Shinkaruk is a left-handed shot (unless the video is reversed?).

I'm sure it's him. Some webcams don't reverse the image, so it looks like you're looking at a mirror (i.e. lifting up you're left hand results in the image lifting up it's right hand).

Jeff Tambellini drafted 27th in 2003. 5'11" 186, born in Calgary, 2002 stats 34games 117pts. NHL totals 242 games- 63 pts. do you see where I'm going here?

If you don't draft any highly skilled players you'll never get one.

Jeff Tambellini drafted 27th in 2003. 5'11" 186, born in Calgary, 2002 stats 34games 117pts. NHL totals 242 games- 63 pts. do you see where I'm going here?

Zach Parise drafted 17th in '03. 5'11" 190, born in Minneapolis. '02 stats in USHS 63GP 174PTS. NHL totals 550 GP - 212 G 448 PTS.

What you also failed to mention was Jeff was also drafted out of the BCHL (Jr. A)... so it not like he was putting up huge numbers in the WHL.

Anybody watch that walking with hunter shinkaruk video on the first page? Kid doesn't seem shook by the spotlight one bit. Just all smiles and very personable.

Got me thinking about how he stepped into the whl after a broken leg and put up 42 pts in 63 games. Then followed up with a 49goal 91 pt season playing with Etem. Then put the team on his back for an 86 point season with less fire power.

This guy just keeps excelling and when you think about all his circumstances it's a good sign when he steps into a bigger role and doesn't flinch.

Going back to his interviews, his charisma shines through and he speaks from the heart. The lights and cameras at the draft don't seem to bug him at all and he's able to speak without nervousness.

I'm wondering if the fact he can ignore the spotlight fearlessly will be a factor in him making the nhl sooner than later?

When you watch Horvat, he's a lot quieter and seems like he's reciting when he said in the mirror that morning. It's not a knock on him but just an observation I made on the way each kid handled the bright lights and the world watching them.

Shinkaruk a 9 game candidate?

It sounds like someone put Captain Serious' personality into Patrick Kane. Very well spoken and intelligent kid who doesn't seem to blink in the spotlight. I think he gets 9 games in the NHL, plays at the WJC, and absolutely lights up the WHL next year.

Exactly, he strikes me as a kid that may come in unfazed, ready to impress and earn a job. There's just something about his demeanor that I haven't seen in any of our first rounders before.

Usually a kid is super nervous and spouts off repetitive lines he recited in the mirror earlier. Hunter comes across with the confidence you see in a kid that was just picked first or second overall. A kid that feels he's ready to compete for a job.

Obviously it's a long shot but I wouldn't be surprised if he gives the coach a tough decision this fall.

There's a reason why a #6 ranked N.A. skater fell alllllllll the way to #24

GMs have the inside scoop/direct interviews. May be his size or defensive play, talented player for sure though

Good luck with Jankowski.

Was....that OUR Gaunce? Or that other Gaunce?

By the other Gaunce, do you mean Brendan's brother, Cameron? Considering he's 4 years older than Brendan (and thus Hunter) they couldn't have played together at any junior level.

It was Brendan, and for further confirmation: http://www.eurohockey.com/article/670-canada-announces-roster-for-the-2011-memorial-of-ivan-hlinka-tournament.html

A few familiar names in there.

Exactly, he strikes me as a kid that may come in unfazed, ready to impress and earn a job. There's just something about his demeanor that I haven't seen in any of our first rounders before.

Usually a kid is super nervous and spouts off repetitive lines he recited in the mirror earlier. Hunter comes across with the confidence you see in a kid that was just picked first or second overall. A kid that feels he's ready to compete for a job.

Obviously it's a long shot but I wouldn't be surprised if he gives the coach a tough decision this fall.

I don't see much of the captain serious in him, like with Toews. Bo Horvat has more of that quality. I agree Shinkaruk seems quite composed, but he more often that not has a smile on his face so I wouldn't put him as a dour or serious person.

By the other Gaunce, do you mean Brendan's brother, Cameron? Considering he's 4 years older than Brendan (and thus Hunter) they couldn't have played together at any junior level.

It was Brendan, and for further confirmation: http://www.eurohockey.com/article/670-canada-announces-roster-for-the-2011-memorial-of-ivan-hlinka-tournament.html

A few familiar names in there.

I don't see much of the captain serious in him, like with Toews. Bo Horvat has more of that quality. I agree Shinkaruk seems quite composed, but he more often that not has a smile on his face so I wouldn't put him as a dour or serious person.

He kinda reminds me of a Canadian ovechkin the way he goes nuts after every goal.

Archived